GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well got to Santa pod yesturday and had a great day.

It was great to be able to use the car again and try out some of the new parts to see what it can do. Haven't used the car since September 2007 where i went through 4 gearbox's in under 1000 miles

Got up at 6 am and left the house at 7.30 trying not to piss the neighbours off too much. Got to the shell petrol station and started filling her up. £70 and it still wasnt full. I remember when i got my first GTR i was shocked at £55 to fill it up. Crazy petrol price's now

I think we got there about 9.30 am and just parked up and went to sign on. The only prep i bothered with was removing the number plate and letting the tires down. Didnt even bother emptying the car of all the shit that girls carry with them.

Got in the cue after letting the car cool down for about 30 mins. I was real nervous as its the first time in a year to take the car on the drag strip and the car was so different compared to when i last used it. 18" wheels, r888's, Getrag 6 speed, launch control and r33 gtr front seats that sit alot higher in the car. The last one was the biggest problem as with a helmet on i couldnt sit it the car without laying my chair down and driving like a chav. So the driving position was shocking

Got to the burn out area and done a poor 2nd gear burnout. Staged the car and went through the process of turning 4wd back on, arming launch control, handbrake on, 1st gear and then get the slack taken up in the drive train. Alot to remember believe me. Left the launch control set to 6000 rpm. I nailed the throttle got the pops and bangs and just let it go. Just spun all 4 and missed 2nd SHAGGED THAT ONE THEN

Vid of first run with good flame out the back. You can also hear someone shout **** from the noise of the car just as i get it going.

YouTube - Madden R32 GTR at santa pod. 24/1/10. Getting used to a getrag and launch control

12.45 at 124 mph with a 60 ft in the 2.2's hahaha

2nd run was straight after the last run. Left the launch control at 6000 rpm and tried again. Spun again and then put it into 2nd causing massive wheel spin and putting the car a little sideways kept it nailed and went for 3rd and missed Better burn out this time

YouTube - Madden R32 GTR at Santa pod. 24/1/10. Still getting used to launch control. Sideways in 2nd :)

12.54 @ 123mph with a 60ft of 2.05

3rd run after letting the car rest for about 30 mins again. Drove the car to the front as i couldn't be arsed with pushing it as i knew i wern't going to do any really good time's. Not sure what inlet temps where but i guess they where high due to driving the car down the line. I got a good burn out and turned the launch control down 2 clicks which i think is 500 rpm. Car got off the line alot cleaner but did bog ever so slightly. Had to fight the car all the way down the track but i knew is was a quicker run

YouTube - Madden R32 GTR at Santa pod 24/1/10. 11.2 @ 125 mph. Best run of the day

11.25 @ 125mph 60 ft of 1.81

After this i pulled up next to the only R35 GTR that was at the pod. The owner(SMIKEE) came straight over and loved my car????????? WHy i dont know. He said it was awesome to watch with it sliding all over the place hahahaha. Was talking to him for ages and he liked my car but i loved his car. Then i never believed this would happen. "DO YOU WANT A GO?" I was going you sure mate? But he was saying if you can handle your car then i have no problem with letting you drive mine mine.

The car was a top spec Black edition . Rang everyone i could to tell them i was dragging my dream car an R35 gtr and to keep their eyes peeled for me. I asked Smikeefor a quick drive around the car park to get used to the car. Out of this world with all the stuff in this car. He put everything in r mode and also selected manual with the flappy padle's . He said give it some so I nailed it and got it a little sideways in the car park. hahahaha.
Got in the que and carried on chatting away. I couldn't stop thanking him for letting me have a go in his car and then letting me take it down the strip but he just kept saying that he was happy to let me do it. Got a loads of attention drivng it in the cue and lining it up. Put it all in R mode but he didn't want to launch it. SO i just rolled it off the line and then nailed it. Short shifting at 7000 rpm every gear. So smooth and tame. I could of eaten a sandwhich while dragging this car.

YouTube - Madden R35 GTR at Santa pod 24/1/10. Cheers pal :) 12.4 rolling off the line

12.49 @ 115 pmh 60 ft of 2.29

That made me a very very happy man. I offered smikee a go in my car as either a passanger or driver but he said he didn't bring any spare pants. hahaha He asked it he could sit in it though and i went you sure pal?????. But he loved it as he said its a proper car Will be meeting up again at the pod to take him out in mine

Lunch time came around so we just chilled in the car and Ian Blackett came over for a chat saying that he loved the car and wants to get one. Offered him a drive which he refused but had a real good chat with him. He told me he had loads of great pics of the car and would do me a great deal on them but i said i will order of the website later as i had spent too much money that day already. Next thing you know he is dancing his tits off next to my car so we filmed him. He is such a crazy dancer.

YouTube - Ian Blackett doing some crazy dancing at santa pod 24/1/10

I then done 2 more runs in mine but was so slippery that i gave up after the 2nd run. I done two more 11.6's but with 60fts of 2.0s. Forgot to turn on launch control on the first one All over the place at the 1/2 track again and the low sun making my rev counter unreadable. Got vids of these runs too but it takes ages to load them up

The best bit is the car came home with out breaking a single thing Got a few more issue's to sort out before i next go. The manilfold is blowing badly at the turbo joint and the rear prop is so unbalanced still so will be getting that sorted.

The getrag is a great box but you can see how different it is too a stock one by me losing 10 mph on my terminal speeds.

He is a comparrison in my time slips.

GETRAG AND LC/ STOCK BOX

60ft 1.81/ 1.73
330ft 4.86/ 4.82
1/8 ET 6.9/ 7.29
1/8 MPH 99.25/ 103
1000ft 9.41/
1/4 ET 11.25/ 11.14
1/4 MPH 125.4/ 132.2

You can see that i got to 60ft slower due to traction but reached the 1/8 miles quicker but at a slower speed. So in theory i should of beat my 11.1 but due to the having to fight the car to keep it straight at half track i lost loads of time.

The Santa pod crew said the car was amazing to watch and that i put on a great show. They where even offering ride in my car over the tanoy without asking me. hahaha. They also said the car would of done a 10 if the track was warmer as it was very slippery due to the track temp.

Also got the fastest car all day :)

So there is a 10 to come still :)

Great day and thanks again to Smikee for letting me have a go in his stunning R35 GTR. TOP MAN

Thanks to Abbey motorsport for all the help and for getting me back up and running :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Nice one Jamie :D

i think Ian neads to teach Johnny how to dance :chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Sweet! Your car sounds awsome dude! 10`s are just around the corner ;)

God damn, this makes me itch to drive my car again, 3 month of winter before i can take it out again... :(

Asim

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Nice one, you must be well relieved the gearbox held together. I remember reading loads about your gearbox problems a while ago. ****ing cold up there at this time of year isn't it. :chuckle:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea over the moon that the getrag seems to be shed loads stronger then the r32/33 peices of crap. hahaha. Never caused any problems with quick shifting. I was told you need to change gear slow In them but you don't ;). Can't recomend the box enough. So glad I didn't go the is giken route as I would smashed to peices by now. Lol.

Just want to see a 10 this year before I kill the thing. Need to get some practice with the getrag and launch control though bt don't really want to head out until the tracks get a tad warmer.

3,665 Posts
I am sure if you stay off of the food and get out on that mountain bike i.e lose some weight , your get into the 10,s pretty easily.

Mark

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahaha at Mark. It's all about being full weight including me :) And I am losing weight. Smoking so i can't be arsed to eat. hahahaha

I WOULD be out on the bike if someone didn't give me a SHAGGED wheel. :chuckle:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha. Only kidding man I'm not to fussed but a few nasty words came out of my mouth when i was pushing the thing back . hahahaha

It was real noisy when i was fitting the tire and discs so i guess its just dirt as you said pal :)

Might be down tomorrow with the wife :)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ohhh you bitch :chuckle:

Seroius note though. You know my shed is full weight but have removed the a/c rad, pipe work and pump. Also the hicas is compeltly gone.

What kind of weight do you reckon the car is?

It an 1990 so no door bars. Just under 1400kg? But with me in it 1500kg !!!!!!!! hahaha

What does Teds r32 weigh in at?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hi Madden,

If you go to the 30 - 130 event at Marham, thy have scales there which give corner weights.

Recommend it as was a lot of fun.

My 1990 GTR32 was 1500kg with 1/2 a tank from memory.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So they are quite heavy cars then?

I thought the early ones where 1430kg stock but i guess thats dry?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Yep, was surprised.

Some people claime dthe scales were off that day.....

Car is fitted with an Accusump, runs Hicas (till I get a delete kit), but no door bars like later GTR32s as far as I'm aware.

Noticed on another thread you are doing the 30 - 130 event. Would like to do it to, but engine rebuild not finished yet, so don't want to risk booking things and wasting what little money I have left!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea i know a couple of cars that went last year and they said the scale where abit odd. One corner being 50 kg's heavier then the other . hahahaha

Yea i missed it last year mate but really want to have a crack. Doubt i will do really well but where else can you see how fast you can go.

Love to hit 200mph but its only a 1.5 mile runway so doubt it will happen :)

I know what you mean about money mate. These cars eat it :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts