GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gtr is a non-nav model....it's the first car in the last say 7 years which hasn't got nav...

I don't really use the gtr to go anywhere in particular but would like to start discovering some new roads so nav would certainly be handy

I'm interested to hear what you use for your sat nav if you have a non nav car...

-tomtom...if so which one and where and how do you fit it?
-mobile phone ...I've got the Galaxy s3 with the freely nav free which is ok, but I don't like using phones as nav devices as its a grey area as far as the law re using mobile phones is concerned, and also calls annoy me when driving so I prefer to keep the phone off!

I'd love to hear your solutions!

Thanks, Ash

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Garmin sat nav. With live traffic and camera updates.

Got a good function where u can search google for locations too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know you don't want the phone switched on, but I was using Google Maps and worked great. I believe the latest update also gives automatic re-routing based on real time traffic info.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
TomTom Live on windscreen mount on the right hand side works better than any in-car nav I've used, especially the GT-R one.
You can route the power cable around the movable dash section down to the convenient power socket on the dash.

Although I love the higher res screen of the later models, it would bother me not to be able to simultaneously see the MFD instruments and sat nav display.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the difference between a Tomtom live and any of the other Tomtoms?

Thanks for the tips so far...

·
Registered
644 Posts
First and best choice would be the UK R35 Satnav but i believe it would be more costly to fit and install..

If you dont wish to do that i highly suggest you use Google maps on Android (if you have an android phone)..

I know you don't want the phone switched on, but I was using Google Maps and worked great. I believe the latest update also gives automatic re-routing based on real time traffic info.
The android/google maps sat nav is 10/10.. Makes tom toms look like old tech lol..

Gmaps satnav will give you live feed on traffic and a lot more information on the area.. Works all around the world so its quite a good choice if you decide to get a phone mount to support it :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Gmaps satnav will give you live feed on traffic and a lot more information on the area.. Works all around the world so its quite a good choice if you decide to get a phone mount to support it :)
I thought google maps needs data on constantly unlike TomTom app and standalone units that have the full maps pre-installed. If using google maps abroad data charges could be significant.

I havent found it that good to use over tomtom/garmin etc either.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I thought google maps needs data on constantly unlike TomTom app and standalone units that have the full maps pre-installed. If using google maps abroad data charges could be significant.

I havent found it that good to use over tomtom/garmin etc either.
Yea if your outside of the UK thats true, data will be costly.. However i like the interface a lot though, very clear and concise.. Also when you add layers on you can get quite a bit of information if you are in an unfamiliar area.. Its a relatively good, cheap alternative to getting a full on satnav if you plan to use it within the UK

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What's the difference between a Tomtom live and any of the other Tomtoms?

Thanks for the tips so far...
Live includes live traffic monitoring/updates etc so if your route becomes congested the TomTom suggests quicker less congested routes

·
Registered
64 Posts
image.jpg

i used an older Tomtom start as it has a smaller screen and fits perfectly onto the air vent (using some double sided tape). The wire tucks into the side of the instrument binnacle and plugs into the 12v outlet by the steering wheel using a small USB adapter.

Photo attached

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Dension Ice link ONE hard wired through FM aerial.

Tune radio to 88.7

Use copilot live and cameralert app on iPhone.

Get tunes, camera alerts through car audio flawlessly. iPhone pauses music when a call comes in and restarts once ended.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
View attachment 10561

i used an older Tomtom start as it has a smaller screen and fits perfectly onto the air vent (using some double sided tape). The wire tucks into the side of the instrument binnacle and plugs into the 12v outlet by the steering wheel using a small USB adapter.

Photo attached
That looks really neat.....do you leave it permanently attached or does the tape allow you to detach and remix as required....I think a Velcro fastening would be ideal here.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
That looks really neat.....do you leave it permanently attached or does the tape allow you to detach and remix as required....I think a Velcro fastening would be ideal here.....
Actually the tomtom holder is stuck with double-sided foam tape to the vent so I can unclip the nav unit if needed. The holder is circular and fits neatly into the vent leaving the nav unit flush when attached.

Velcro would still be an option if you wanted to be able to take the holder itself off regularly I suppose. But I don't think the Velcro pads are as sticky as the "number plate" double sided foam tape that I've used.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts