GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my new Red Gt r last week and was wondering has there been any further information on Sat Nav instalation?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Nope - no progess despite all the initial excitement that it could be done.

Doesn't effect me as I have a nav car arriving in a couple of weeks (hopefully!)

D

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Initially I really wanted a Sat Nav car (and even had one on order) but since getting my TomTom 940 Live, I can't see me ever bothering even if retro-fit Sat Nav was very cheap.

Simple fact is, no in-car Sat Nav has updated speed camera warnings and TomTom's HD Traffic is way beyond the TMC traffic date.

Add in the fact I have Shell V-power and Tesco99 stations uploaded and the case for £250 TomTom is overwhelming!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Initially I really wanted a Sat Nav car (and even had one on order) but since getting my TomTom 940 Live, I can't see me ever bothering even if retro-fit Sat Nav was very cheap.

Simple fact is, no in-car Sat Nav has updated speed camera warnings and TomTom's HD Traffic is way beyond the TMC traffic date.

Add in the fact I have Shell V-power and Tesco99 stations uploaded and the case for £250 TomTom is overwhelming!
you say you bought it for 250 i cant find it for less than 350.
can you tell me where you got it from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow Up

:p
Received my new Red Gt r last week and was wondering has there been any further information on Sat Nav instalation?
Sorry i should state that i am in Sydney.
I believe the Uk cars are the same as Australia and do not have sat nav i was hoping that you had found a suitable attachment to the incar system maybe Garmin as a add on.

·
Registered
968 Posts
my hpc claims that clifford has managed to get satnav on the OEM screen but it will be route 66 IE not the mosts sophisticated software.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I am using the same one here in Germany. It is a good device indeed. PLUS: You have TWO screens, in case you need to keep an eye on your tranny oil temp ;-)

I found a good way to install it: On the outer side of the driver side (so in the UK on the far right side of your windscreen). You can plug in the 12V from below the steering wheel and have the cable nicely hidden in the "canal" around the dash board.

I would rather go for a rear cam...

Cheers, jan

·
Registered
565 Posts
Remember as well for all of those Iphone users that Tom Tom have the new app out as of a few weeks ago.

http://iphone.tomtom.com/en-us/index.html

No Car kits available yet sadly as the holder is really good, it should be released soon.

You can get the App from the ITunes store OR Jailbreak your phone and get it for free.......;)

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I am using the same one here in Germany. It is a good device indeed. PLUS: You have TWO screens, in case you need to keep an eye on your tranny oil temp ;-)

I found a good way to install it: On the outer side of the driver side (so in the UK on the far right side of your windscreen). You can plug in the 12V from below the steering wheel and have the cable nicely hidden in the "canal" around the dash board.

I would rather go for a rear cam...

Cheers, jan
Yup, exactly where I've mounted mine. No problems with it falling off or obscuring the view. Much better than the air-vent mounts some have used IMO.

·
Registered
777 Posts

Couldn't agree more. I have the same unit and it is fantastic. Way better then any standard fit unit I know of. Updatable whenever you like by plugging into laptop.

As others have said, fits nicely on secure new style mount on right of dash with cable hidden completely out of sight round the binnacle.

I had plans in place to update to a Nav car (cancelled order) but am not going to bother now. My car has bedded in so nicely now I couldn't part with it. Even the USB port, higher res screen etc doesn't bother me as the hard drive is excellent. The rumoured reversing camera standard fit would be very handy and pretty cool though.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
What "rumoured reversing camera standard fit" is that?

I have a nav car coming in a couple of weeks and no mention of this from my HPC (and we speak quite regularily!)

Not that I would say no if it was there!!

D

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What "rumoured reversing camera standard fit" is that?

I have a nav car coming in a couple of weeks and no mention of this from my HPC (and we speak quite regularily!)

Not that I would say no if it was there!!

D
OO I have not heard about this before! Anyone got any news?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can tell you in a week! I haven't heard this though, but I will have a look and post up any news.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.