GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at SatNav option.

I like the idea of an integrated SatNav because it is part of the car and doesn't clutterthe top of the dash, but does it do the job?

I have a TomTom Go 930 with speed cameras and it is a brilliant piece of kit.

In the Isle of Man we don't have speed cameras - they did install some but they got torched within days so they gave up - so when I drive in the UK - I don't hang about - the TomTom has saved me a fortune in speeding fines. Moving to UK in less than a month anyway.

How does the R35 SatNav compare.

Speed camera alert is an absolute must - especially for this vehicle where you can break the speed limit in 3.5 seconds :)

Regular software updates for maps and cameras also crucial.

Only other option is seperate camera detector or put the TomTom away somewhere so I hear the camera alerts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The Sat Nav in the GTR is great although I guess like most things depends what you are comparing it against:confused: Camera Warning was an unexpected bonus aswell it hasnt missed a Camera location yet :bowdown1: Excellent :bowdown1: Dont know about Updates ....havent got a Sat Nav manual yet :chuckle: someone on this Foprum im sure will know though :thumbsup:

CJ

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You can update the Sat Nav via DVD. I'm not sure when, where and how much the updates are. I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow when i do my optimisation.

I know it's not bang up to date as the Clyde Expressway in Glasgow still shows as having a roundabout. I don't think it has had one for about 6 months if not a year.

Some people have noticed that the sat nav is a bit late in telling you to turn. I noticed last night this is configurable so you could set it to tell you a bit earlier. It's default setting is concise instructions too.

I realise it's a lot of money for the system, but it's far better than the BMW one i have in my 57 3 series (except for the ability on that to send locations to the car from googlemaps)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can update the Sat Nav via DVD. I'm not sure when, where and how much the updates are. I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow when i do my optimisation.

I know it's not bang up to date as the Clyde Expressway in Glasgow still shows as having a roundabout. I don't think it has had one for about 6 months if not a year.

Some people have noticed that the sat nav is a bit late in telling you to turn. I noticed last night this is configurable so you could set it to tell you a bit earlier. It's default setting is concise instructions too.

I realise it's a lot of money for the system, but it's far better than the BMW one i have in my 57 3 series (except for the ability on that to send locations to the car from googlemaps)
Thanks for the feedback.

Bit late telling you to turn - would be at R35 speeds :chuckle:

My sons always complain when I stamp on the brakes when I get a camera warning, but I tell them it takes a lot of motorway to scrub that sort of speed off.

Does yours have cameras as well? That would clinch it for me.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Bit late telling you to turn - would be at R35 speeds :chuckle:

My sons always complain when I stamp on the brakes when I get a camera warning, but I tell them it takes a lot of motorway to scrub that sort of speed off.

Does yours have cameras as well? That would clinch it for me.
Yeh all the Sat nav cars have camera warnings.

I've not had the issue of the late warnings. Even travelling at high revs in high gears.
But since Supraman pointed it out i've noticed a stutter :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Not sure if you are looking to order a new one or going for a cancelled order/used car, but I placed an order for a 'Premium edition' last month and sat-nav seems to be standard now.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Sat nav is standard fit for all cars now arriving from Japan.

Camera locations via GPS, so won't pick up average spped on motorway but all the Truvelo and GATSO seemed to be there, including knowing what gantries on the M25 were camera enabled!

Just need the manual and the update news.

D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great - let's hope the maps, cameras etc are easily updateable with regular updates available.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I used the sat-nav to plan a journey today. About half way through the trip, when my predicted arrival time was 13:22, I decided to ignore a turn instruction because I thought I knew a better route. Within seconds of this decision my predicted arrival time had dropped by 10 minutes down to 13:12. What's that about? :confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the sat-nav to plan a journey today. About half way through the trip, when my predicted arrival time was 13:22, I decided to ignore a turn instruction because I thought I knew a better route. Within seconds of this decision my predicted arrival time had dropped by 10 minutes down to 13:12. What's that about? :confused:
Many SatNav's giveyou a choice between shortest and quickest routes. Maybe you chose the setting for shortest route that takes you along small B roads or farm tracks :)

What maps does it use? E.g. TeleAtlas.

Hope speed cameras are updateable. Coming frm the Isle of Man where we have no cameras - or speed limits - whenever I drive in the UK the speed camera alerts are invaluable and will be when a move next month.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think it was probably taking traffic reports into account - I've done the same journey a couple of times and it has directed me in alternative directions depending on reported traffic. The traffic reports it receives can be wrong or out of date.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Looking at SatNav option.

I like the idea of an integrated SatNav because it is part of the car and doesn't clutterthe top of the dash, but does it do the job?

I have a TomTom Go 930 with speed cameras and it is a brilliant piece of kit.

In the Isle of Man we don't have speed cameras - they did install some but they got torched within days so they gave up - so when I drive in the UK - I don't hang about - the TomTom has saved me a fortune in speeding fines. Moving to UK in less than a month anyway.

How does the R35 SatNav compare.

Speed camera alert is an absolute must - especially for this vehicle where you can break the speed limit in 3.5 seconds :)

Regular software updates for maps and cameras also crucial.

Only other option is seperate camera detector or put the TomTom away somewhere so I hear the camera alerts.

Thanks.
I use CoPilot live on my Iphone 3GS; speed cams, live updates and surprisingly well sorted nav app for £25 quid.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Garmin system

I use CoPilot live on my Iphone 3GS; speed cams, live updates and surprisingly well sorted nav app for £25 quid.
Agree with Ed. I use a Garmin NUVI 255WT, it is small & neat, screen mounts to the right so out of the way. Obviously updates on camera's and maps are constant, and it has all the known mobile camera sites as well, so it pings at you just in case. I also like the fact that if I have it switched on (but i am not using it because i know where i am going) it will still ping camera warnings at me! I have had many built-in car systems before, and my complaint has always been the same - they will eventually be out of date or there will be a better after market system out there, which will only cost £100

·
Registered
60 Posts
All the Sat Navs available are only as good as the latest upload. The GTR's one is no different and can have the latest data uploaded. It also does warn of speed cameras even when no route is set.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Agree with Ed. I use a Garmin NUVI 255WT, it is small & neat, screen mounts to the right so out of the way. Obviously updates on camera's and maps are constant, and it has all the known mobile camera sites as well, so it pings at you just in case. I also like the fact that if I have it switched on (but i am not using it because i know where i am going) it will still ping camera warnings at me! I have had many built-in car systems before, and my complaint has always been the same - they will eventually be out of date or there will be a better after market system out there, which will only cost £100
Yes. I like the integration wth no dash clutter, or wires to the power outlet, but still needs to do the job.

I am sure the maps wll be fine, it is the speed cameras that I need on a SatNav, epecially coming from a land of no speed limits or speed cameras.

My TomTomGo 930 is excellent for speed camera alerts with frequent updates, so I could always hide it away somewhere and listen for the alerts.

I just hope that the updates are available at a realistic price - I don't like getting ripped off just because the car is perceived to be expensive.

Does anyone know who the map provider is -e.g. Tele Atlas, NavTeq etc? Sometimes you can get updates direct.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wires...

Yes. I like the integration wth no dash clutter, or wires to the power outlet, but still needs to do the job.

I am sure the maps wll be fine, it is the speed cameras that I need on a SatNav, epecially coming from a land of no speed limits or speed cameras.

My TomTomGo 930 is excellent for speed camera alerts with frequent updates, so I could always hide it away somewhere and listen for the alerts.

I just hope that the updates are available at a realistic price - I don't like getting ripped off just because the car is perceived to be expensive.

Does anyone know who the map provider is -e.g. Tele Atlas, NavTeq etc? Sometimes you can get updates direct.
Hi APC. I thought this would bug me too, but i find if the unit is mounted low and to the right of the console (near the A pillar), the power wire will tuck down into the groove around the main console, runs down behind the indicator stalk and plus into the power outlet just below, and so i only see the wire where it meets the unit, otherwise most of it is out of site.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi APC. I thought this would bug me too, but i find if the unit is mounted low and to the right of the console (near the A pillar), the power wire will tuck down into the groove around the main console, runs down behind the indicator stalk and plus into the power outlet just below, and so i only see the wire where it meets the unit, otherwise most of it is out of site.
Sounds good to me. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts