Ok, I thought I would be a guinea pig with the '2017 Head Unit Software' update.
I burned the iso to disc went out to the car and put the disc in. It flashed up that the disc was unreadable for a split second and then took me to this screen. IMG_2620.JPG by Craig Bissett, on Flickr
I wasn't really 100% whether my current version (X3E12008) or the version on the disc (X3E52007) was newer? Mine had 2008 at the end and the disc 2007 so that had me suspicious. However, I updated it and saw several screens like this. IMG_2622.JPG by Craig Bissett, on Flickr
It seemed to put the disc's software on with no problems - took about 5 minutes.
Updated screen shows that it definitely updated (or backdated ). IMG_2627.JPG by Craig Bissett, on Flickr
Anybody know what software version is newer? What the newest version is etc?
Not tried the Sat Nav set? Anyone had any luck? My maps are showing as 10-11 Map No.1
The bit that confused me was how the unit id fitted into the second number. The bit about padded with four byte was beyond me! All I did was substitute the first 10 numbers but the keys didn't work so obviously wasn't that.
I've done some digging, and it seems you are asked for the unit ID when you order the sat nav update. Does this mean that each set of disks are specific to a satnav unit? If that's the case, we are barking up the wrong tree.
I've convinced myself only the unit ID is relevant when it comes to generating the 16 character license code. I don't believe the Nav unit knows your chassis VIN number or the MD5 checksum of the first map DVD when it verifies the license code you enter. I don't believe it calculates the MD5 checksum of the DVD itself either. It would take far too long.
I reckon the Nav unit uses a simple inbuilt algorithm to correlate the unit ID (which it knows) with the license key issued by Nissan. We "just" need to know the algorithm
Could be right, however, most modules on the CAN bus have the VIN. And if they don't, they know which module to ask for it. If it is purely based on unit ID, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out, if we can get several unit ID's and activation codes. Or maybe just brute force it on one