GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

After thinking about selling my Evo to buy a V8 M3, I've decided to bin that idea in favour of a GTR instead. I still have some saving to do first but if everything goes to plan, I should have the funds to buy a GTR sometime this year :D

So, I thought I would sign up here & say hello :wavey:

First question. Why are there so few GTR's for sale on here? Is my viewing restricted because of my low post count?

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Hello everyone,

After thinking about selling my Evo to buy a V8 M3, I've decided to bin that idea in favour of a GTR instead. I still have some saving to do first but if everything goes to plan, I should have the funds to buy a GTR sometime this year :D

So, I thought I would sign up here & say hello :wavey:

First question. Why are there so few GTR's for sale on here? Is my viewing restricted because of my low post count?
Welcome matey. To answer your question, most people avoid selling in Winter time as it is generally seen as a time when you can't fully use your car and therefore the value will be less than if selling in Spring time.

You will not be able to use the FS and wanted forums until you have 50 posts but there is nothing stopping you from PM'ing a seller if you are interested in what they have for sale.

Plenty to look at on here anyway. Keep saving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome matey. To answer your question, most people avoid selling in Winter time as it is generally seen as a time when you can't fully use your car and therefore the value will be less than if selling in Spring time.

You will not be able to use the FS and wanted forums until you have 50 posts but there is nothing stopping you from PM'ing a seller if you are interested in what they have for sale.

Plenty to look at on here anyway. Keep saving.
Thanks mate, I'll keep looking through the 'Cars for sale' section.

Does anybody know if the wikipedia page about the GTR is correct regarding the length & width of the car?

I want to make sure it will fit in my garage :chuckle:

From wikipedia GTR page...

Length

2009–2010: 183.3 in (4,656 mm)
2011 – present: 183.9 in (4,671 mm)

Width

2009–2010 & 2013–: 74.6 in (1,895 mm)
2011–12: 74.9 in (1,902 mm)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
M3 or GT-R

I take it you speak from experience judging by your user name?

Now tell me I've made the right decision & the GTR is a far more superior car than the M3 :chuckle:
I used to think they were on par, but there worlds apart...

The M3 is civilised where as the GT-R is more.... How to say it without upsetting the forum....

It's clunkier, noisier, harder and expensive to run... If your giving it a hard time..

But better in almost every way, than the M3....

I think if your budgets 30k get a M3

If it's 50k get a GT-R...

Dan...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to think they were on par, but there worlds apart...

The M3 is civilised where as the GT-R is more.... How to say it without upsetting the forum....

It's clunkier, noisier, harder and expensive to run... If your giving it a hard time..

But better in almost every way, than the M3....

I think if your budgets 30k get a M3

If it's 50k get a GT-R...

Dan...
Thanks for that Dan :thumbsup:

I didn't want to buy an M3 & then wish I had my Evo back. It's not my daily driver so for me, a GTR is the only car that can replace my Evo.

I would still like a DCT M3, maybe after GTR ownership when I'm a bit older & I want to drive something that's less... As you said, clunkier, noisier, harder and expensive to run. I can just jump into BMW refinement :cool:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Now tell me I've made the right decision & the GTR is a far more superior car than the M3 :chuckle:
IMO it is. I also came from an Evo. Test drove an M3 before the GTR and I found it boring and slow (made a lovely noise though). For a daily runaround it would have been OK but I was looking for a fun car to replace the Evo and the GTR fitted the bill. Dont expect to crash through B roads in a GTR in the same way you did in the Evo though - won't happen. Far too big and heavy a car for that.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
M3...

IMO it is. I also came from an Evo. Test drove an M3 before the GTR and I found it boring and slow (made a lovely noise though). For a daily runaround it would have been OK but I was looking for a fun car to replace the Evo and the GTR fitted the bill. Dont expect to crash through B roads in a GTR in the same way you did in the Evo though - won't happen. Far too big and heavy a car for that.
Who ever took you on that M3 test drive done something wrong ie didn't turn anything on etc...wrong road...!

How can you find a 420bhp car boring..

Anytime your near Ledbury I can take you out in a std M3...
By the end of the trip you will never use the word boring in the same sentence as M3 again haha...:wavey:

Dan..

·
Registered
689 Posts
Who ever took you on that M3 test drive done something wrong ie didn't turn anything on etc...wrong road...!

By the end of the trip you will never use the word boring in the same sentence as M3 again haha...:wavey:

Dan..
I also found you cannot just jump into an M3 and find it fun, they are a car you have to learn, but once you do they are epic :)

·
Registered
519 Posts

Dan..
I appreciate the offer, will be there Saturday morning. ;)

In all fairness it was a dealer and I did turn up in my old Mondeo to test drive it. He probably thought I was a chancer who had no hope of owning an M3 - typical BMW salesman really. ;) After a 400bhp Evo it did feel a bit dull, I have to be honest. Plus it just looks dull to me - a 3 series with some big wheels and go faster bits stuck on. I could also have been partly to blame - I have never much liked BMW's but I thought I should test drive an M3 as so many people rave about them. Therefore my negative mindset probably did not help.

When I saw the GTR I just wanted it there and then. I still think it looks an awesome beast, I like the ethos behind it, and I like what it does when you push the loud pedal all the way down. Plus it is silly easy to get decent power from and it is not as common as muck. Yes, it is probably not so much a 'drivers car' (whatever one of those is) as an M3 but I am no Schumacher and have never claimed to be so a car that makes driving fast easy is OK in my book. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts