GTR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottish Independence on the forum

3K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  tonigmr2 
#1 ·
There's quite a few Scottish GTR owners on the forum and, I was thinking, if Scotland gets independence, maybe we will have to give them a separate forum section? Obviously, they would then have to accept fewer priviledges (smaller avatars, only 10 PM's, certain sections out of bounds, etc etc) than the rest of the forum users but then that is to be expected. How do you Scottish users feel about my proposal.

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle: Joke, obviously!!

See less See more
#9 ·
Using him as a symbol is a bit daft seeing as he's Australian... But the real William Wallace was a legend ;)

Hopefully he implodes... He just wants to be known as the guy who made Scotland independent.

You should try coming here and having an argument with somebody who wants independence... that alone is enough to make me vote no

#11 ·
Hang on Tazz, you forgot they'd have to have their own moderators (who live in Scotland) and a Scottish trader's section, but they do want to use the rest of the forum when convenient, just not contribute to it.:thumbsup:

:p

#12 · (Edited)
Toni, they wouldn't need to have their own trader's section as they would have no currency of their own to spend with traders!

EDIT: Re - Scottish Moderators - now you aren't thinking straight, how on earth can you hope to find someone who has ginger hair that is capable of rational thinking? It isn't going to happen:chuckle:

#20 ·
Good question though - anyone from the South want rid of us? Why would you :)
I doubt many people from England/Wales actually know all the facts to make a considered opinion that we'd be better off seperate.

The answer tends to be based on media spin or inaccurate facts.

Similar to why you'd want to vote for independance in my opinion.
But if they get enough young voters out feeling patriotic...

#21 ·
Referendums terrify me.

Principally because everyone eligible gets a vote and I've met enough painfully stupid people in my life to know that when a decision is really important, don't let the public decide - they simply don't know enough about the situation to know if it's a good thing or not.

Consider the EU referendum we've been promised. If it happens I can pretty much guarantee that we'll be voting ourselves out and the thought of that is pretty terrifying.

I'm a huge eurosceptic but mostly due to the way it is run. I want a union with europe but not a political or financial one. We are different cultures and shouldn't aim to be one country. I'd prefer if we had the same relationship as some of the other states like Sweden. I'd far rather renegotiate or partially withdraw than be fully out.

With Scotland, the only thing I have to go on is that apparently London subsidizes the rest of the country and very much scotland, so arguably we'd be financially better off, even after the loss of north sea oil add to that some of the unfairness such as having to pay for university places if you are english but not if you are scottish or welsh - not sure how that works.

That said, if I had the choice, I'd vote to keep the scots, mostly because of the scenery and the accents, and the historic industrial success per head of population being pretty impressive.

and the roads too!

#33 ·
Maybe they'd have to raise tax and or reduce spending but life would go on. In turn that would be good for Scot's.

IF it's the case that England is subsidizing Scottish welfare then it would be good for them to have to balance their own budget. It might kick start some kind of economic revolution if people get a kick up the backside instead of benefits and token taxation offices.

In short if they are dependent on England financially then continuing that will just increase the dependency over time, and if they are indeed not dependent on England then independence won't be a big deal.

I'm a huge believer in self determination, and it's what I don't like about political union of the EU (even though trade and labor movement offer fantastic opportunities) and given the Scots are very politically different from us English it makes good sense to trade and to be good friends and not fall out over politics.

#35 ·
From what I've made of talking to folk they seem to think that if Scotland became independent we would become the new Norway.

The way of live over there is awesome, they do get taxed very high, 40% is the lowest level, but they're paided more to make up for that. Better working conditions offshore and safety levels.

But I cant see us ending up like that. Firstly we don't have a government based oil company and its 30 years to late. Granted there is still alot of money left in the north sea. But its not going to boom like it did 30 years ago

#37 ·
Labour man here. In the traditional sense. Not the new right wing version.

Voting yes for self determination. Nothing to do with one man or his party. To vote No because of Wee Eck makes no sense. About as much sense as old firm fans I know voting No because AS supports Hearts!

Voting yes for getting rid of Trident, free education, prescriptions, personal care, against welfare reforms that create child poverty and reliance on food banks. Etc But I'm a sad lefty :)

McCrone report it's worth getting a handle on. Then Gers report. That will show how subsidised we are!

As for currency I'd personally like debt free with pegged pound. But way down my list of priorities.

#41 ·
Voting yes for getting rid of Trident
Strictly speaking, TRIDENT shall continue, just in rUK and it shall most likely be replaced by the SUCCESSOR programme.

Of course, it may well move the issue from Scotland and the UK to the rUK, but it's no great victory for CND but a good one for NIMBYs erverywhere.

Arguable Scottish-returned Westminster M.P.s are better placed to argue for a nuclear free UK in the Union than from without.

Thus, where I hear the argument raised that Yes is a vote for getting rid of Trident, I'm unconvinced it's a particularly truthful claim or effective change in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.