GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
In 2014, the first 1989 R32's will be 25 years old, and legal to import to the US without any restrictions(over 21 years is EPA- emissions exempt). About a year and a half ago, I put in an application to the NHTSA(DOT) to import the Nismo R32's to the US under the Show or Display exemption. Under Show or Display a car is NHTSA exempt, but can only be driven up to 2500 miles a year. Once the car turns 25 years old mileage is unlimited. The vehicle needs to be historically or technologically significant, and generally under 500 made. For the Nismo Nissan made 560 cars, sold 500 to the public, kept 60 to use as race cars.

It did take a while to import the first cars. I imported two at once #500 and #383. #500 is a pretty good car, but like anything, I would sell it for the right price. I can find another car. I know of 3-4 more for sale.

Nissan Skyline GT-R NISMO R32 Show or Display import to USA - YouTube

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I don't see what the big issue is.....Sean has been clever and found a good way to get a few cars in before they can be bought in much easier (read cheaper) so by grabbing a few now under the Nismo badge he can make some good money.....

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't see what the big issue is.....Sean has been clever and found a good way to get a few cars in before they can be bought in much easier (read cheaper) so by grabbing a few now under the Nismo badge he can make some good money.....
Yes, I agree. I didn't post the link as a means to bash the guy, I just thought I'd share it as a mate brought it to my attention. Business is business when all said and done.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't believe some people are willing to pay that much for a stock R32, but I guess I'm spoiled where I'm at. :chuckle:

Why don't they just wait until 2014? :confused:

ETA: Not hating on you for selling it though. If someone wants one that bad, you may as well be the one taking their money.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't believe some people are willing to pay that much for a stock R32, but I guess I'm spoiled where I'm at. :chuckle:

Why don't they just wait until 2014? :confused:

ETA: Not hating on you for selling it though. If someone wants one that bad, you may as well be the one taking their money.
I think you've got it around the wrong way, once import is allowed, prices will go through the roof!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would say that the price will go down because the cars don't cost that much here comparative to what a legal BNR32 costs in the US right now. I guess it depends where you are talking about the price. In japan and other countries, probably a little higher. In the US lower. I really see them settling out in the US to a price close to what they run in Canada, maybe a little higher.

The cars themselves aren't that rare. They made 40k or so BNR32s. I think where you might see really high demand is the different years as they become legal. They made approx. half as many 89s as the other years and they will be the first ones legal for import. I can tell you for certain that 89s do not come up on japan auctions that often (they still do, but not in numbers anywhere near the 90+ R32s).

Prices on 89s are already starting to rise a little. I guess we will see what happens. :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.