GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I require one but have seached the arse off google and ebay etc and cant find one.

They look just the same as a normal exhaust bung but . . . . the inner (smaller) hole is open during normal driving, and when the loud pedal is stamped on it opens out to the full bore of the exhaust due to the increase in perssure.

I use to know someone who had one on his Rx7 but i cant even remember the correct name for the component!

Cheers, Drew

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
HKS Evolution
had one on my R33 before I decided to swap exhausts. It may be up for sale come June (the exhaust that is not the car!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I need one too me neighbours are giving me funny looks since I work nights i give them an early wake with me trying to park in a tight space :D

How about a group buy if more people are interested :D

Graham

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I have an Apexi ATS and I rarely use it. The problem is two-fold. It does hamper on-boost performance - even wide open it still presents a fairly significant restriction versus being wide open. I can live with that when I need peace and quiet. But the other problem is turbo shuffle. At least in my car, when I've mapped out shuffle, adding the ATS brings it back. I have mapped out shuffle with the ATS in, but then, shuffle returns when I remove it. I forgot to save my ATS-in map, so I need to do a mapping session with it in and then switch maps when I want to use it. Shuffle is an issue here because I use the ATS on long highway drives - the one condition where my turbos start to shuffle.

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
judging by what "kismetcapitan" is saying i may just stuff the normal bung that the exhaust came with in for long trips, and turn down the boost. As i cant be arsed with fafing about if its going to effect the performance.

Cheers for the help again guys, spot on:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
82dB? I can fart louder than that ffs. Be interesting to see how they'd approach an imported vehicle etc., but I'm not up on regs.

·
723 Posts
I think it's probably aimed more at nova/saxo/etc drivers that razz about town in 1st gear.

As long as its before 10pm i dont see where the issue is, unless they are going to start pulling everyone over that drives a ferrari/lambo/TVR/Caterham etc.. that comes out the factory loud.

back to the ATS,
I myself have never had problems with turbo shuffle with the bung in the exhaust, regularily do long boring motorway drives in the car,never had boost problems either but saying that i only run 1bar, so i don't know how it copes with higher boost pressures.

I take it out when i'm going for a run, just so i can enjoy the RB song, and i can't say there's much of a difference except people move out of the way faster :p

But, i think there is a psycological aspect to when its out of the car, the car "feels" faster with it out since it's louder, even if i'm doing the exact same speeds.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What I want to know is will this end up being nation wide? And will they be using it as a revenue generating scheme and anything that can be heard sat at the traffic lights getting pulled over, tested and fined? or only targetting cars that have had complaints made against them by neighbours etc?

Back on topic though, Dont apexi do a butterfly valve that only opens under boost? I dont like the sprung loaded bungs as they rely on additional pressure in the exhaust to open them, so cause a restriction.

·
723 Posts
they do, but its not automatic, you need to faff around with a little plunger button to open and close it. From a noise standpoint, i've read its either mega loud or mega quiet with not much inbetween.

I was wanting to get one of the electronically controlled versions that would open and close according to RPM the Apexi'i DECS ECV... but discontinued :( so it's why i've got the ATS

APEXi - DECS Exhaust Control Valve - Nengun Performance

----

There's also the HKS EV-R exhaust, that had a variable camera style opening... and has a pretty neat electronic controller so you can adjust the volume from inside the cabin.
discontinued as well...
EV-R

controller is the bottom most one.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
the Apexi butterfly is manual. And the Apexi silencer that doesn't open at all; DO NOT boost with that thing in.

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the varex remote muffler looks like a quality component, just a bit hard to source in the Uk by the looks of it! had a bit of a search, im sure there will be a couple of companys that stock x-force exhaust system's here somewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts