GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've now picked up my car. I was told that the self healing paint was pretty soft and takes some time to harden thus it was not worth detailing / cleaning / polishing at this stage. This really confuses me as the HPC had already tried to sell me £600 worth of Smart Guard paint protection - so I wonder how they were going to apply it!!!!!!

Can anybody enlighten me about the "self healing" paint and when I should be able to apply polish etc...

Cheers,

nick

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nick,

Do you still believe in Santa.....;)

Self healing paint my backside...........

Speak to any pro detailer and they will tell you that the paint quality on every GTR they have seen is quite simply shocking, no polite way of putting it.

A range of colours including Blacks white and Ultimate Silver have all been seen with paint thickness which is well below that expected, varies by as much as 50% thickness from the top of the doors to the bottom and orange peeling like some detailers haven't seen since the days of Ford Cortina's!!!

I would suggest getting an hour with a detailer who is local to you, get them to get the car under their High Power lights and show you all of the problems which sadly are guaranteed to be there, also get them to do some paint thickness tests in front of you to show the issues.

Then and only then will you see that sadly 1 area of compromise that Nissan really seem to have gone for is the paint quality........

Awesome engineers p1ss poor painters i am afraid.

Don't let it take the shine off the car though (No Pun intended)

Yeah on new cars is likely to be a little soft, but this is the ideal time to get rid of paint imperfections and have the car looking as it should, then apply the best wax you can afford and then the car should stay that way going forward.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have to agree. I have had my car in the detailers under the high power lights and I was shocked. The orange peel on my car is horrendous and now I know it's there I can see it even more (if you know what I mean!). The paint thickness is so varied that the detailer called it "amateur!". I am compiling a report that will be presented at my first service and I expect Nissan to do something about it.
As usual, the power of the internet should help here and I hope others with similar issues can get together and present a united front to their HPC's.
Slowly falling out with this car :mad:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Nick check out these threads

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/123180-awsome-35gtr-detail.html
which links to this thread
Ultimate Shine - Ultimate Detail - Detailing World

This is where my car is at the moment. Luckily i have slightly thicker paint than some of the cars he's seen or so Paul told me, but there is still plenty of work to be done to get it looking good.

I doubt Paul will have time to do a write up as he's got GTR's turning up to get done from all over Scotland (Eg Need4Speed is dropping his off Friday), but i'll post some pics when i get it back.

FWIW - until i saw the DW thread above, i'd never heard of Paul. But since i've been chatting to him, i'm very confident the drive from Glasgow to Markinch is worth it for his dedication (i'd call it OCD and you'll know what i mean when you read the DW thread) to the job! :D Plus when i met him, he's a sound guy, who's just started up his own business and looking to build a brand. So he's totally dedicated to providing an A1 service. That's the kinda guy you want working on your car in my opinion.

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nick check out these threads

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/123180-awsome-35gtr-detail.html
which links to this thread
Ultimate Shine - Ultimate Detail - Detailing World

This is where my car is at the moment. Luckily i have slightly thicker paint than some of the cars he's seen or so Paul told me, but there is still plenty of work to be done to get it looking good.

I doubt Paul will have time to do a write up as he's got GTR's turning up to get done from all over Scotland (Eg Need4Speed is dropping his off Friday), but i'll post some pics when i get it back.

FWIW - until i saw the DW thread above, i'd never heard of Paul. But since i've been chatting to him, i'm very confident the drive from Glasgow to Markinch is worth it for his dedication (i'd call it OCD and you'll know what i mean when you read the DW thread) to the job! :D Plus when i met him, he's a sound guy, who's just started up his own business and looking to build a brand. So he's totally dedicated to providing an A1 service. That's the kinda guy you want working on your car in my opinion.

Cheers

Ian
It's my car that received Paul's ultimate detail. :cool: Unfortunately it's not possible to completely eliminate the orange peel without removing too much paint depth and compromising future maintenance (Paul made that clear from the outset), but it's a lot better than it was.

I've logged a case number with Nissan concerning the orange peel and paint finish on the front alloys. Paul intends to write a report once he's seen the finish on the new release of cars. I hope to drop by Paul's tomorrow, Ian, to see how your paint finish compares. ;)

Kevin

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yip Paul did my car and also gave me a detailed report which is now with Nissan and my HPC.

Can't fault there response and a huge thumbs up, my car is getting sorted when it goes in for it's 6000 mile service.

Middlehurst are only doing customers cars once they are happy they have perfected things on their own car, can't say fairer than that!!

Regards

ScottyB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts