GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
31,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a few instances of things going adrift when selling to buyers abroad. There is no insinuation that people are being fraudulent, but the distance makes resolution a lot harder.

So, some tips.

Firstly, never pay for anything "as a gift" Via paypal. THe fees are there for a reason, protection. Work it out so you share the costs.

Try to avoid bank transfers as there can often be fraudulent.

We live in the internet age. No-one goes to the post office to send things these days and therefore the BUYER should arrange collection via an online courier.

GET the seller to package up the goods, take a photo of them to prove they are as described.

Give the buyer the full dimensions and weight.

The buyer then has the duty to arrange relevant insurance, tracking and is effectivly responsible for the goods the second they leave the sellers house.

No disputes, no comeback.

If they vanish the buyer can pursue the matter independenty.

Just saying is all.

Mook

·
Registered
120 Posts
We've had a few instances of things going adrift when selling to buyers abroad. There is no insinuation that people are being fraudulent, but the distance makes resolution a lot harder.

So, some tips.

Firstly, never pay for anything "as a gift" Via paypal. THe fees are there for a reason, protection. Work it out so you share the costs.

Try to avoid bank transfers as there can often be fraudulent.

We live in the internet age. No-one goes to the post office to send things these days and therefore the BUYER should arrange collection via an online courier.

GET the seller to package up the goods, take a photo of them to prove they are as described.

Give the buyer the full dimensions and weight.

The buyer then has the duty to arrange relevant insurance, tracking and is effectivly responsible for the goods the second they leave the sellers house.

No disputes, no comeback.

If they vanish the buyer can pursue the matter independenty.

Just saying is all.

Mook
I agree with the payments and paypal tips, however the rest of this post is a bit ridiculous. Things do not normally "go adrift", and on the rare occasion they do it is almost always error on the customers end that causes issues with shipping... I've been buying and selling stuff (and mostly car parts for a variety of cars) for about 15 years out of the US, Asia, and Europe, and as you stated the internet is the way transactions are made, and since the internet is global, the premise is the same across the world.

I feel like this is at least in part directed toward me. I recently bought something from a member here, who was very nice forthcoming, but they had issues with the courier not because the courier failed in their duty, but because the sender (seller) made a mistake with the address, this courier then returned the item to the origin and did not refund the member, to which they have a right since the mistake wasn't theirs. I then provided another address that would make things easier but stressed that I would rather take the loss of the original shipment and just get the rest of the money from paypal refunded. Seller decided to ship anyway, the courier charged them a premium and the seller ended up with only about 15% of the original amount... the part didn't arrive in time for what I needed it for (inspection) but turns out I didn't needed it in the end, the poor guy went through all that trouble for a profit the equivalent of a take out lunch.

The lesson learned is attention to detail is important and that it is sometimes necessary to stop and think about things before making a spur of the moment decision that could, and often does, end up costing you time/money... preventing issues with shipping does not mean the buyer should arrange for their own shipping, for a part htey haven't seen or touched in person, from someone and somewhere they don't know. That's terrible advice, and not how things are normally done anywhere I have seen.

·
Administrator
31,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're both overthinking it.

You discuss collection times etc with the seller but ultimately by paying for the shipping yourself you can ensure it is insured adequately. Addressed correctly and actually booked to be delivered.

That way if it goes missing you don't have to rely on the seller to make the claim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts