GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure which way to go as the car will be used for both track and road. With semis how are they on damp or wet road driving? Not going to use the car in the wet but it could that I go out for a drive and starts to rain...

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Sounds like you should consider a second set of rims.....

One set with dedicated track rubber and the other with 'road spec' rubber. Given the price of second hand wheels, its a no-brainer IMHO.

TT

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
MPSS are pretty predictable all round fun tire. Messing with them at silver stone and recently donington in the rain was a lot of fun.

2 sets of wheels are also what I'd say.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i'd say try the Advan AD08... best tyres i've ever tried... just to say they are by far better track tyres than Toyo R888 ... both tried on my car :cool:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Unless they are low on tread depth many semi slick list 1b type tyres are not too bad in the wet. The federals 565 rsr's I've been using are fine on the road, I've even driven them on snow and that wasn't terrifying. I've just got some AO48Rs and the stickers on them have the highest rating for wet grip that I've ever seen (lowest for economy mind). All these types of tyres do wear fairly quickly and once the tread depth isn't there grip in the wet drops off dramatically.

·
Registered
471 Posts
888's are great in the wet but in standing water they try to kill you, I wouldn't use them as road tyres again for that reason.
I am going to try my MPSS on the track this year but if I decide to do a lot of track work I will be looking in to a second set of wheels.
How do the MPSS hold up wear wise on the track ?
J

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Struggling to find MPSS in 265/35/18 on the usual tyre sites. Alex how much were the AO48's? Last I checked they were 1600 for a set of 4 :eek:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I've got some great info somewhere, in the Bosch blue book I think - something like: with 1mm standing water at 60mph and with minimum legal tread depth, tyres give the same grip as if they were on ice (1-10% of dry grip I think). With 6mm of tread they have 60-80% of dry grip. So, for those track day tyres that start with almost minimum tread depth when new you can see why they can get fruity in the wet. RSR's and AD08's which are full tread depth when new, are much less of a problem.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you should consider a second set of rims.....

One set with dedicated track rubber and the other with 'road spec' rubber. Given the price of second hand wheels, its a no-brainer IMHO.

TT
In an ideal world yes I agree but I got enough car spares all over the place as it is the wife will kill me if I have further sets of wheels. If you store them for free I'll keep my Rotas :thumbsup:

Seriously I'm looking at advan neovas as I cannot seem to find mpss at a competitive price and in the size I'm after.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
A048 from Tyre Leader for about £940
Tyre Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 265/35 R18 93W - Tyre Leader

R888 for about £1,172
Tyre Toyo Proxes R888 265/35 ZR18 97Y GG - Tyre Leader

Federal 595RSR for about £472
Tyre Federal 595 RS-R 265/35 R18 93W - Tyre Leader

Pilot Sport Cup for about £832
Tyre Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 265/35 ZR18 93Y Race - Tyre Leader

Nankang NS2R for around £524
Tyre Nankang NS-2R 265/35 ZR18 97Y XL, SOFT - Tyre Leader

Tyre Leader seem to be pretty good on prices, I've not checked on Cam Skill though

The Pilot Sport Cup seem to be a good price and they're supposed to be quite good I think? Are they similar as fitted to the 997 GT2RS and the old CSL?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Another option is Dunlop Direzza DZ03 which are supposed to be especially good for heavier cars, they grip and last very well, but they are frapping expensive - but they only have to last 50% longer for them to be good value for money I guess.

EDIT - just checked the price I was quoted for DZ03s £1098 inc vat and delivery - so about the same as 888s and from what I hear a better tyre.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What about R1-r
I know they wont be as good on track as a semi-slick or as good in the proper wet as the likes of MPSS, Eagle F1 but may be a good all rounder for your needs.
I've used them on the road before and was quite impressed and I've heard Evo X owners praising them on road and track.
J

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks the pilot cups are bad for wet weather but very good in the dry. Cannot find mpss someone must sell them?

A048 from Tyre Leader for about £940
Tyre Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 265/35 R18 93W - Tyre Leader

R888 for about £1,172
Tyre Toyo Proxes R888 265/35 ZR18 97Y GG - Tyre Leader

Federal 595RSR for about £472
Tyre Federal 595 RS-R 265/35 R18 93W - Tyre Leader

Pilot Sport Cup for about £832
Tyre Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 265/35 ZR18 93Y Race - Tyre Leader

Nankang NS2R for around £524
Tyre Nankang NS-2R 265/35 ZR18 97Y XL, SOFT - Tyre Leader

Tyre Leader seem to be pretty good on prices, I've not checked on Cam Skill though

The Pilot Sport Cup seem to be a good price and they're supposed to be quite good I think? Are they similar as fitted to the 997 GT2RS and the old CSL?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pilot cups are crap, their break away characteristics are pretty shocking and they are terrible in the wet and low temps.

because its a road and track tyre and you're going to get through them, I'd go with the federals as you can effectively change them twice as often for the same money.

I wouldnt run a a048/888 tyre on the road as the track camber setup required just kills them and it ends up as a waste of money. Unless you want to change the camber settings at the track and then again to go home....

I just run a set of track and road wheels, its a lot easier

1 - 19 of 19 Posts