GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of the things that has put me off the OS-88 sequential as part of my plans is the short interval between required rebuilds. Having experienced quickshifters on motorcycles, wouldn't such a device, particularly if it could control both fueling and ignition and be programmable for how many milliseconds of power interruption, increase the life of a sequential, plus make it very smooth to use?

I know there are flatshifters for drag racing, but they seem a bit crude compared to motorcycle quickshifters with ECUs (or maybe I just haven't seen the best dedicated flatshifter gizmos).

Plus, aside from much smoother driving and little loss of boost between shifts, a standard sequential, assisted with a quickshifter linked to the shift lever (making it work ALL the time, not just at WOT), could effect gear changes equivalent to earlier semi-auto paddleboxes (150ms shift times, as a ballpark figure). Bikes with quickshifters can shift in 80ms, that's getting real close to a dual-clutch paddlebox.

If a Skyline sequential could be made to work like a bike transmission w/quickshifter, I would really bump it way higher up my to-buy list.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I too would love a Seq Box....Or if the Ikeya bolt on shifter was bullet proof I would have it in a flash!

It would be easy once the car had a Seq Box to make a paddle shifter....But the quickshifter would be a little trickier.

Ikeya.....Have another crack at making it work better please!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I too would love a Seq Box....Or if the Ikeya bolt on shifter was bullet proof I would have it in a flash!

It would be easy once the car had a Seq Box to make a paddle shifter....But the quickshifter would be a little trickier.

What problems have you found with the ikeya?I was thinking of getting one myself.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The Ikea shifter is a ball of sh!t and doesnt work on the skyline 5 speed box.Its expensive,slow and 10 times worse to use than the oem gear stick.

My advice would be to save the money and go for a short shift lever instead.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i've fitted a short shifter, but for some reason i hate it. it's notchy, noisy and stiff. it's a japspeed one, seriously considering going back to stock....back on subject, my apologies.

·
Registered
885 Posts

A chap I know,whos a also member here,runs his skyline with a Hollinger 6 speed sequential box and a steering wheel mounted paddle shift system.No need for a gear stick/lever.

Some piece of kit.

Unbelievablely fast gear changes is an understatement.:clap:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
How hard could it be to mate an e46 SMG hydraulics unit to a 6 speed gtr box?

I bet CA Automotive would be game to have go

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
How hard could it be to mate an e46 SMG hydraulics unit to a 6 speed gtr box?

I bet CA Automotive would be game to have go
I wouldn't bother.. there are many other alternatives for moving a shifter back and forth. Pneumatics would be one of them. Torque Motors or similar electric units would be another option for sequential boxes. I play with pneumatics every day and do similar things.

Should it go like that?
1. Pull Paddle for at least 0.x seconds
2. Check if shifting is possible, don't over rev it.
3. Interrupt Ignition
4. Put in gear.
5. Check if in gear
6. Reapply ignition.

Doesn't seem to hard to do. Microprocessor Control is a piece of cake today. Many Variants of this could be done.

Just as always, there's no one around to play the ginuea pig :)

Marc

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
The Ikea shifter is a ball of sh!t and doesnt work on the skyline 5 speed box.Its expensive,slow and 10 times worse to use than the oem gear stick.

My advice would be to save the money and go for a short shift lever instead.
Yup! That's what I heard too.

....Pity but...If it worked it would be the shiz!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
mwebster has just had 2 sets delivered for his race cars... They need 'mapping' for ideal set up.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
i've fitted a short shifter, but for some reason i hate it. it's notchy, noisy and stiff. it's a japspeed one, seriously considering going back to stock....back on subject, my apologies.
I have a cusco sprung short shifter.

It also is stiff and is notchy into 2nd.....But I can't go back the the long "stirring stick" of a factory one.

When you are giving it the beans it works much better that plodding around the city.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
We run a shift cut with the OS88 in Ludders R34 and its all controlled by the Link G4 ecu, at TOTB we had it set to 0.08 seconds but I think Ludders has it set to around 0.12 now to try and keep the box alive longer.

0.08 is a very fast change and its great fun to drive, just pull the stick like you mean it, a big exhaust BANG and its already in the next gear.

Rob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Christ, they are quick!

I am doing 0.17~0.2 manual changes on the subaru i drive, using a sequential could gain me 0.3 across the quarter.

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
Pneumatic or electric actuated? Only on the up shift?

Marc
I think he means an electronic ignition cut Marc, still a manual gear change in that the lever is manually pulled but the revs are cut to allow full load changing.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Mike, isn't that Chris Wilson (on here) and isn't it RWD only for his race GTS-t?
yeh, sorry wdidnt realise chris is on here as well LOL

i "think" it was a gtr but he has converted it to rwd but from what he said to me the company who makes the box could do the same for a 4wd gtr?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts