GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new set of Meister R suspension from Jerrick for my BCNR33 in Hong Kong earlier and finally have time to install it last week to replace my 3-year-old Nismo S-tune.

The build quality is flawless and very good service support. I set it to 350mm F & R for ride height and damping level set to F-10 R-2 at the moment. Although the Meister R has less suspension travel than the S-tune, it offers a firmer and yet compliant ride even on the very bad roads here in HK. No regret so far!

The suspension should have run in and I plan to check the pre-load again and do the alignment. I also ponder if I should put the Roll Center Adjuster.

May I know:
1) What level of pre-load do you set for coilover like Meister R? Some say 0mm, some say 5mm or 10mm
2) What is the guard-to-hub distance you guys set for a road BCNR33?
3) Anyone know the guard-to-hub distance for BCNR33 with Nismo S-tune suspension as reference?
4) As we seem to low down the car over 25mm than the OEM height, is it better to install the Roll Center Adjuster (i.e. Moonface or else brand) to correct the suspension geometry

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
511 Posts
1) What level of pre-load do you set for coilover like Meister R? Some say 0mm, some say 5mm or 10mm
I prefer a 2mm pre-load, and that should be the setting out of the box.
It is just to keep the springs tight, you can always go more if you want as sometime it does change the steering response.
I would say around 5mm being max, I wouldn't want to go too much on the GTR when it isn't necessary.

2) What is the guard-to-hub distance you guys set for a road BCNR33?
There really isn't a "setup" for that, it is a very personal preference.

3) Anyone know the guard-to-hub distance for BCNR33 with Nismo S-tune suspension as reference?
Don't know that, but chances are all car be a little different anyways.

4) As we seem to low down the car over 25mm than the OEM height, is it better to install the Roll Center Adjuster (i.e. Moonface or else brand) to correct the suspension geometry
The thing to look at is the lower control arms.
The lowest ride height adjustments is when the lower control arms is parallel to the ground.
So unless your lower control arms is pointed upward, there is no need for roll centre adjuster.

Hope that helps, anything else just let us know…
That is why we are on the forums to provide direct support. :)

Jerrick

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Jerrick,

My mechanics should change the out-of-the-box pre-load. So, it seems that I should take off the wheels, loosen the collars holding the springs, turn them up again until it just hold the springs and go 2 more turns (20mm) up, right?

For the Roll Center adjuster, though some says that it's OK if not going too low, I think adding a lower arms spacers from moonface or KTS should help to restore a better geometry and reduce the bump steering.

Ringo

·
Registered
511 Posts
The springs should be mark, the middle number is the free length of the springs.
So the front springs read 62.200.009, it mean the springs should measure 198mm with the wheel in the air.

As for roll centre adjuster, it is only for adjusting the roll centre if it needs to be adjusted.
If you add in the roll centre adjuster without the need to do so, it will change the roll centre to the incorrect position the other way around.
Only add them in the suspension system if it is necessary.

Jerrick

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerrick, I get your point. But I think I cannot rely on the listed free length of the springs to set the pre-load, especially when the suspension has been installed and the springs might depressed a bit, right?

As we will normally take off the wheels to do the adjustment, if I set the pre-preload to zero, will the springs be slack and rattle when I put the weight of wheel back? Is the 2mm pre-load be enough to prevent this?

Any member has something more to share on the pre-load setting for coilover of BCNR33?

Thx!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey familyhorse,

I don't have any answers for you, I instead wonder if you can give a quick review of the MeiserR compaired to the s-tunes, especially which is more comfy ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Jerrick, I get your point. But I think I cannot rely on the listed free length of the springs to set the pre-load, especially when the suspension has been installed and the springs might depressed a bit, right?

As we will normally take off the wheels to do the adjustment, if I set the pre-preload to zero, will the springs be slack and rattle when I put the weight of wheel back? Is the 2mm pre-load be enough to prevent this?

Any member has something more to share on the pre-load setting for coilover of BCNR33?

Thx!
Sorry, totally miss this post.

It normally is fine, the free length printed on the springs should be correct.
So if you -2mm it will hold the springs tight.
Unless the springs have significantly sag, which I have yet to experience.

The 2mm is design to hold the springs in place.
You don't really need to run pre-load but we suggest 2mm just to be safe.

Jerrick

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey familyhorse,

I don't have any answers for you, I instead wonder if you can give a quick review of the MeiserR compaired to the s-tunes, especially which is more comfy ?
We had a few customers who went from S-tune to the Zeta-R, no one ever complained yet.

You get a lot more adjustments with the Zeta-R, especially in the ride height department when you compare it to the S-tune suspensions.

Jerrick

·
Registered
358 Posts
We had a few customers who went from S-tune to the Zeta-R, no one ever complained yet.

You get a lot more adjustments with the Zeta-R, especially in the ride height department when you compare it to the S-tune suspensions.

Jerrick
To have no one complaining is good, I want to know if they are comfier and if so, "how much" ;)

To have more adjustments are nice, but if the ride will be worse on the street, it would not be an upgrade for me, even it they are better on the track. Do note that I think your dampers are better on the street when reading all comments, but I would like to hear from someone that actually went from the s-tunes to the Zeta-Rs (as I have the s-tunes now). I know that there are a few people, but haven't found any comments from "them" on the ride quality :/

·
Registered
511 Posts
To have no one complaining is good, I want to know if they are comfier and if so, "how much" ;)

To have more adjustments are nice, but if the ride will be worse on the street, it would not be an upgrade for me, even it they are better on the track. Do note that I think your dampers are better on the street when reading all comments, but I would like to hear from someone that actually went from the s-tunes to the Zeta-Rs (as I have the s-tunes now). I know that there are a few people, but haven't found any comments from "them" on the ride quality :/
What are you finding wrong with the S-tune first?
The issue is comfort is a very subjective term, and "softer" doesn't necessary mean more comfortable.

You can easily turn the damping down on a suspension until it is massively under dampen.
The ride will be very soft and floating, lots of body movement, and generally feel unstable.
That may be softer, but it wouldn't feel nice; and most people will class that as less comfortable due to the excessive body roll movement.

That is the whole point of adjustable damping, is it allows user to fine tune the damper to their liking.
And that will change from owners to owners, depending on what they like and what their focus are.

Jerrick

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi,

"Whats wrong with the S-tunes", I would like them to be even softer.
I guess what you are trying to tell me is that I don't know how suspension works and what makes a suspension more comfy, and even it you aren't, I think this would be right on the money, I don't know.
This is my experience when it comes to suspension and why i'm concerned about the springs kg (quick version, sort of):
I had a S14a where I lowered it with H&R springs. The car was quite comfy both before and after, though a bit firmer after. I later got me a set of Apex Performance coilovers (6/4kg) and they were, in my option, to firm/harsh to use the car as a every day car. One year after I switch them for another set from Apex Performance, still 6/4kg, which was supposed to be a comfy model. I didn't feel that much difference. Note that both were 16 step adjustable and even if I had it set to the lowest, it still felt "un-comfy", maybe not hard/firm, but snappy if you know what I mean.
I bought my current GT-R (had actually one before, but never mind that piece of crap) with a set of cusco suspension. These were the worst I have ever felt, every little bump felt like the car would brake in half (okay, i'm exaggerate a bit, but they were crazy firm!!). I think these were 14/14kg. The track performance / motorway was brilliant, otherwise they were totally useless!! Note that I got the original with the car and switched them asap (knew that I wanted to do this even before I bought the car), which ended up being 2-4 weeks after unfortunately. I switched to the original with whiteline lowering springs, hoping this would be a good compromise, and it was almost just that. The problem was that the car became much lower in the front, than the back. Then I got the s-tunes and it was berrer for track and they have pretty good comfort, but if I can get comfier ones, I will, and if yours is comfier and even comfier with 7/5 (or maybe 8/6?) springs than that is what I want. If the car will turn for the worse (ie less comfy), then I guess the 9/7 springs is what I want.

When I check your site for info and with a Zeta-S (r33 gt-s) vs Zeta-R (r33 gtr), the comfort is higher on the gt-s (all other are lower on the gt-s, but that is fine by me). Is this the rubber mounts + the 8/6kg vs 9/7kg that makes the difference, or is it something else as well?
GT-S
GT-R

I want to have very good comfort, driving it as a every day car, even though it might hurt the track performance some (will be tracking, but it is only ones or maybe twice a year and only for fun), though not to soft as well. I'm getting old apparently (though actually I'm "only" 35) and I love my Volvo V70 for its comfort and I know I cannot have that in the gtr, because then (it would be kinda pointless to say the least) it would be quite dangerous and quite boring as well.

One last thing, I tried my friends r34 gtt which he has fitted with Driftworks coilovers, and it was very nice indeed (actually the reason I'm looking for replacements for the gtr). Can you say that yours are something like them, or maybe even more comfy?
Driftworks Control System 2 CS2 Coilovers Nissan Skyline GTT R34 from Drift

Hope you get what I'm after and sorry for the, VERY, long text. I just don't want to get the wrong stuff again, it seems as it has just happened to many times (not just suspension).
/Stefan

What are you finding wrong with the S-tune first?
The issue is comfort is a very subjective term, and "softer" doesn't necessary mean more comfortable.

You can easily turn the damping down on a suspension until it is massively under dampen.
The ride will be very soft and floating, lots of body movement, and generally feel unstable.
That may be softer, but it wouldn't feel nice; and most people will class that as less comfortable due to the excessive body roll movement.

That is the whole point of adjustable damping, is it allows user to fine tune the damper to their liking.
And that will change from owners to owners, depending on what they like and what their focus are.

Jerrick

·
Registered
511 Posts
Okay, that give me a good idea of what you are looking for.

Lets clear something first, while springs rate does make a difference on ride comfort, it isn't the main factor.
Many owners look at a suspension and think it have soft springs so it must be comfortable, and that isn't really the case as the damper valving have more to do with ride comfort.

Now, you can't compare different chassis setup because the suspension are different.
For example, the s14 use a lower springs rate because it has a MacPherson strut setup, and that mean the way the suspension use the springs are different vs. a R33 GTR.

Now, if you feel the CS2 on a GTT feels good, then I can say the Zeta-R won't be far off.
If anything it will probably be more comfortable.

Now if you are looking for something really good, we can do something like that with the GT1 suspension system.
As we custom build the GT1 suspension, we can valve the damper to be more comfortable.

But the GT1 was design to compete with suspension like the OHLINS DFV, so they are going to be comfortable to begin with.
They are just design to be a great fast road suspension that is also competitive for occasional track use by using advance CNC internal.

It depends on your budget and what you are looking for.
We are always happy to help.
The last thing we want is you buying something that you don't like.

Jerrick

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Flovv,

Let me share my experience. I changed from S-tune to MeisterR and was amazed at how well this suspension performs at this price. You can easily get the level of comfort from MeisterR that S-tune gives you, and you can also get a lot of adjustment on ride height and damper rate.

When I firstly put the MeisterR on straight out of the box, the car was lower than with S-tune. It was absolutely silent, firm but not bouncy, though admittedly less comfortable than the S-tune before fine-tune.

As you found in the earlier thread, I've consulted Jerrick about pre-load adjustment as I suspected that my installer messed up the factory pre-load. Over the past few weeks, I've tried to adjust the pre-load and ride height by myself. The pre-load used to be 197mm for the front (i.e. 3mm pre-load for a 200mm spring) and 217mm for the rear (also 3mm pre-load for a 220mm spring). I then reduce it to 198mm (front) and 219mm (rear) and raise the ride height close to the S-tune. The whole car had become much more comfortable and yet firm enough for wild street-racing. I'm so satisfied that I do not even bother to put up my Ikeya Formula front upper arms and Moonface roll-center spacers with the existing ride height (i.e. around 10.5mm arch-to-18"rim F&R).

All in all, I will highly recommend the Meister R to you. Shipping a set of suspension from UK to HK is not cheap, but I'm glad I made this choice after extensive research.

Ringo

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey Ringo,

That sounds great !! I think I will get 8/6 springs, instead of 9/7, and rubber top mounts as this will most likely be even a little more comfortable as well.
I think the s-tunes are okay, but I want a little more comfort and hoping and thinking these are just that!
Thanx for sharing the preload, will think about this when I buy these, or possibly the GT1!
BTW, I realized the other day that I asked you about the sound insulation as well, didn't get it that I PMd the same guy :) Thanx!!

/flovv

1 - 16 of 16 Posts