GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some new front tyres fitted a couple of weeks ago at my local Nissan garage. A few days later after a bit of sensible driving :blahblah: I got a really loud "clonking" noise when cornering at speed. I went to another Nissan garage and turns out the first garage didn't torque the wheel bolts up correctly and I have managed to shear one of the studs completely off!!!.
Apparently r35's are torqued up more than any other car. They have ordered a whole new set of studs for me from Japan. They say the force must have been colossal and they have never heard of it happening on any other GTR! Has anyone on here ever had this happen or heard of this?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like a incorrectly set rattle gun. Over-tightened or under tightened that is known as incompetence and total lack of duty of care. Either name and shame or ask them for a good will gesture.
Did they use a torque wrench?!? If they did they are truly useless.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Torque settings

Before you go name and shaming,
If you have a wheel removed and refitted, YOU are suppose to check the nuts after approx 50/100 miles.
This will be written,(QUOTED) in your hand book,
I own a couple of bodyshops and give a leaflet that a customer has to sign before collecting their car,
If your wheels have come loose your alloys will be F/cked because of the movement up and down on the tread of the bolt.

GOLDIE

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you have a wheel removed and refitted, YOU are suppose to check the nuts after approx 50/100 miles.
I own a couple of bodyshops and give a leaflet that a customer has to sign before collecting their car,
If your wheels have come loose your alloys will be F/cked because of the movement up and down on the tread of the bolt.

GOLDIE
That's just a get out clause,

If the customer does or doesn't check them then you are in the clear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a incorrectly set rattle gun. Over-tightened or under tightened that is known as incompetence and total lack of duty of care. Either name and shame or ask them for a good will gesture.
Did they use a torque wrench?!? If they did they are truly useless.
This was at the actual Nissan garage!!! I have asked for them to cover the costs. I've been told that every other car is torqued to 150 but r35's need to be torqued to 175 to stop the movement in the wheels.

GOLDIE
I didn't check the nuts.. I thought they are meant to be torqued up?! The wheel didn't become loose it was from slight movement which sheared the bolt.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Must admit I'm a compulsive wheel nut checker, I love the little yellow pointers on truck wheels, great idea. First thing I do after new tyres or a service is check the wheel nuts, but I am a car lover freak I admit.

Amazes me how a garage can not torque wheel nuts up correctly though, it's total incompetence not to do so, does it really happen?

Almost as bad is tyre pressures. I've never been to a tyre bay yet that puts the correct pressure in all 4 tyres.

It's for another thread, but the amount of drivers that never check their tyre pressures is unbelievable, I reckon way more than half of the cars on UK roads have incorrect pressures, many running on 20 psi or less. See it every week in my mates garage when they come in for a service.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
150 n/m is about 110 ft/lb, as said above I thought the specified GT-R wheel nut torque is 97 ft/lb (130n/m)?

175n/m is 131 ft/lb. Did they over tighten them?

·
Registered
760 Posts
My recollection is 135 Nm so I think you're right Trev. Point is that most owner won't have a torque wrnech lying around, so how exactly can a dealer lay the blame at the owner's feet. If they are that sensitive to being correctly torqued up, the dealer should make damn sure they get it right. Piss poor service for the OP.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I torque mine to 142, stops any clicking issues to have them slightly tighter and never had issues and I switch my wheels around every 2-3 months.

175 is ALOT more far to much.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
That's just a get out clause,

If the customer does or doesn't check them then you are in the clear.
Both my Bodyshops are PAS 125 British Kite Marked, Which is only about 1 in 30 are.
These are run by Thatcham methods. What they say is the law in the car world.
All wheel that are taken off should be re checked after a set amount of time or milage.
Every car that enters my work shop has the wheel settings put on the job sheet. even if the wheels are not being removed.
We give a slip giving advice that the wheels should be redone,
Most customers pop back and we redo them FOC,
If they dont come back then thats their choice,
Ignorance of this will not stand up in a court.
i for one have never read the hand book, but this is when problems arise,

Not sticking up for the garage, If they are a NHPC they will know what they are doing.

GOLDIE

·
Registered
117 Posts
To quote the owners manual,

page 8-46 (in the one i am reading)

WARNING
Incorrect wheel nuts or improperly tighted wheel nuts can cause the wheel to become loose or come off. This could cause an accident.
Do not use oil or grease on the wheel studs or nuts, This couls cause the nuts to become loose.
Retighten the wheel nuts when the vehicle has been driven for 1000km (600 miles)

Wheel nut tightening torque
132 Nm (13kg-m, 97 ft-lb)

however the track setting is 147 Nm

John

·
Registered
457 Posts
Both my Bodyshops are PAS 125 British Kite Marked, Which is only about 1 in 30 are.
These are run by Thatcham methods. What they say is the law in the car world.
All wheel that are taken off should be re checked after a set amount of time or milage.
Every car that enters my work shop has the wheel settings put on the job sheet. even if the wheels are not being removed.
We give a slip giving advice that the wheels should be redone,
Most customers pop back and we redo them FOC,
If they dont come back then thats their choice,
Ignorance of this will not stand up in a court.
i for one have never read the hand book, but this is when problems arise,

Not sticking up for the garage, If they are a NHPC they will know what they are doing.

GOLDIE

It's just a get out of jail free for the garage/workshop/bodyshop

I own my garage and I recognise it for what it is.

Every tyre place has this, it's just to put the onus on the owner should a wheel come off, nothing more or nothing less. If a wheel comes loose at 50 miles, it hasn't been tightened correctly.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
the original post doesnt say how many miles he had done , but siad it was over 2 week,
im not on here to argue, just to get facts right before some one starts name and shaming a company,

:popcorn:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everyone thank you all for your help. I'm not going to name and shame a garage on a forum. I had probably done 200 miles when this happened, and yes it probably is "my responsibility" to check them after x amount of miles!!
As I said the wheel had not come loose it was a case that the original garage hadn't torqued the nuts up correctly in the first instance. Which they should have done. The second garage I went to said that they had been advised by Nissan to tighten the wheel bolts more on r35's than as stated in the handbook as people were getting the clonking noise when cornering hard. Although the figure that I quoted does seem really high based on other peoples posts.

·
Registered
457 Posts
the original post doesnt say how many miles he had done , but siad it was over 2 week,
im not on here to argue, just to get facts right before some one starts name and shaming a company,

:popcorn:
Not arguing, simply discussing. Noticed you edited your post, you said 50 miles.

It's nothing to do with customer safety, it's to do with absolving the garage/workshop etc from blame if over 50 miles have been covered.

I'm a little bit savvy to understand why places do it.

If after 50 miles they are checked and fall off, then garage is free from blame. If after 50 miles they haven't been checked and fall off, garage free from blame.

But as an engineer/technician it is good practice to check wheel bolts on regular basis.

I'm not arguing either goldie, just discussion bud, that's the trouble with text.:)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
not arguing mate as i said.
both my garages are pas 125 so every body who touches tha car is logged,
from stripping to refittting,
The person who geo's or removes a wheel has to refit it and sign that its been torqued

Then the person who signs the completion sheet has to retorque if a wheel has been off.
this is what you have to do to be PAS125 insurance approved so there is always a paper rail of the car and persons involved in the repair,

My point was.. the usual hanging shouts on here as soon as something goes wrong. name and shame.
I cant understand a NHPC not torquing a wheel to the right measurement.
Only GTR trained peope are allowed to work on them,
My garages as said give out a general letter covering all cars that why it states 50 to 100 miles, most car in town wont cover 100 miles in weeks, so we ask customers just to pop in when conveniant to have them checked.

GOLDIE,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts