GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1996 R33 Vspec and it came with a short shifter when i bought the car. when shifting normally the short shifter is great, however on quick shifting, from 2nd to 3rd and up, it grinds terribly. what could be the problem with it? is it bad for the gears? your help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
gears

The 'UK skyline experts' keep telling me that the gearbox is solid but the big gears need some engaging so don't do fast gear changes or the baulk rings and synchros will go. Smooth and slow ar the key to long life and no crunching!
Hope this helps (Rod Bell told me this again last night!)
Dave

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
I too have been told that Dave by one of the top Skyline garages which is why I resisted the temptation to buy a short shifter.

Peter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, I am using C's short shifter. Always quick changing (whether up or down shifting) on the track, so far no problem! But then again, my "quick change" may not be that quick after all!:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm.....so what's the point of having a short shifter if i can't do quick shifts when the time comes (i don't race, really....) ????

r33 says his doesn't grind so i'm wondering if there is something wrong with the short shifter itself.

anyone know?

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Had my gearbox chrunching and make all sorts of noises when changing between 4 & 5.
Had it removed and rebuilt by Option-Motorsport, Fitted a C,s short shift kit and it is a dream to change any gear.
They had to renew 26 parts in my box ranging from syncro,s to gears to shafts.
All I can say it was expensive but worth it :D
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Deeznuts, I think the C's short shifter, if properly installed, would not cause any crunching at all. It's never happened to me no matter how fast I change the gear whether up or down shifting. The crunching or grinding must be caused by something else unless the shifter is not properly fixed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I asked a friend to buy it in Japan. Cost about USD290.00. It has 2 models, ie, 25% and 50% shorter. I bought the 50% model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts