GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,

I'm confuse in making an important decision.

Should I buy a Skyline or EVO for my next car?

Both are my dream.

My criterias are;

1. Family "friendly" (Can accomodate 3 kids easily),
2. Fast

Please advise me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks For The Advise....

Dino,

All Evos come with 4 door. I would prefer a 4 door car but, 2 door Skyline make me drool. I can't help it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not so sure...more room in an Evo. I ran one for 3 years prior to getting GTR. Day to day transport (especially with a Family in mind) has to be Evo. No Family and for pure enjoyment...no choice..Skyline.
Evo is "pointy" to drive..have to work it all the time to get best results. Altho' keep it under 3000rpm and its just like driving any other family saloon. Servicing is cheaper...with more choice.
Skyline is more "exclusive"...snob appeal??? and has awesome handling. Best fun you'll ever have sitting down.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
CiscoNetwork,

You can always get a 1998 R33 GTR 4-doors Autech Edition, then you get the best of both world. Room for family and GTR magic.

Some people think the 4-doors is not as cool as a 2-doors, personally I think the 4-doors is cooler, plus a lot more rare. If the R34 GTR have a 4-doors version, I would have got a 4-doors instead.

Shin have one in stock at Prospec motorsport, check it out:

http://www.prospec-ms.co.uk/stocks/c0095.html

The EVO is great, but is nothing compare to a GTR. EVO would be a good 2nd car.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What are you doing in the car? Evo will be faster around twisty/poor surface B roads, the skyline will be faster on others.

Skyline has longer gears, is more economical (ask Spudgun his 387bhp uses more fuel than his 544bhp Skyline did).

Only 2 seats in the back of the skyline, but I had three women in the back on saturday ;)

Drive both, they are different, oh and remember the skyline has a small boot, the evo a bigger one...

I'd go for a Skyline though

:)

·
Registered
905 Posts
I do like those Autechs JUST not the Price, but IF i had the Money...........DREAMING

Si;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
hi jon
i think simon gets through more fuel in his r33 than i ever did, i think i was too easy on her:rolleyes:

i loved my r33...BUT...i love my evo more, by a mile. it really depends on what you enjoy doing.
if you like spotting a porsche on a motorway or fast road and 'giving it a hard time';) then the skylines for you. nothing much will really touch it.

if you want a car thats a good allrounder, in whatever weather conditions, then IMHO it has to be the evo.
part of the reason i went bonkers tuning my old r33 was that it lacked a sensation of speed. when it was standard or under 450bhp it really didnt 'feel' quick to me, although it was.
my evo has 298bhp at the wheels/ 387bhp at the flywheel, and it 'feels' as fast as fukk:D

also, skylines feel too 'big' to me. not just on the outside, but when youre inside too. and heavy.
best thing to do obviously is test drive both.
but to be honest, if you test drive a standard ish skyline, you may be a little disappointed. however, there arent many standard ones about, and once modded, are a lovely car, especially on motorways.

horses for courses, but all the best whatever you chose:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks heap...

Now i know what to do. Thanks everybody.

Jeff, you are right, the Autech 4-door version is really nice.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Where's the Colonel ?

I'd be interested to hear what COLONEL_SMITH had to say on this as he's just moved the other way to Spudgun.

I've not driven either car so can't pass comment. Have been in a few GTR's are they all seem to handle extremely well - admittedly only ever been in them in dry conditions so don't know what they are like in the wet, and as a passenger in the cars, they all felt extremely rapid (although i know from driving my car that it never feels as fast in the drivers seat as it does in the passengers).

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
194 Posts
See my reply on the "Cossie owners" Thread. They both have pro's and cons, both well docmented here. I've been lucky, I've had both. (Ps, the Evo 5 was R623FNE, the car featured on Top Gear sliding about in the wet at Oulton with Tiff driving!)

All I can say mate is I know what I chose.

I no longer have the Evo....

Andy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
R33 vs evo

Apart from a test drive I have little experience of the Evo but asking the skyline owners site that question is bound to give a polarised answer.... However my 33 is used every day as my main car, having three kids I put in an extra centre seatbelt for the occasions when its needed and I have no problem with putting windsurfing gear on the top (but do need to keep the speed down a bit). So from a question of practicality they are not amillion miles apart.
I agree the boot could be larger but against Audi Quattros and integrales its fine but if I was buying the main family car I would probably go for the Evo otherwise the skyline is the poodles noodles and a lot less common .

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The skyline will scare you

the evo will drive the wife and kids to Asda with no dramas (and no pilot even!)

Depends on what you want.
IMHO no other way to go....GTR!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
As Daz GTI-R says I have gone from Evo to Skyline.
I would have to say that the skyline is a much better car but the Evo maybe a little more practical as it has a largish boot and 4 doors.
I have to disagree with spudgun,my skyline is running at around 420bhp and you certainly do get the sensation of speed,more than the Evo.With the Evo you got a quick punch as you accelerate but it would fade as you got around the 5k mark.The skyline has more lag but pulls alot more all the way to the redline plus the gearing allows higher speeds in lower gears.The Evo engine is strong in standard form but any mods will aid to the engine giving up.To run 360 bhp in a lancer is madness in my opinion,the engine is small and the boost is high as standard,raising it more is asking for trouble.The evo is a very good car but the Skyline wins everytime....
Please don`t start a slanging match between Evos and skylines this is my opinion and Spudguns is using his opinion.It really depends on the individual in the end so I sugest a drive in both...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
the man is right and well

said.
YOU HAVE TO DRIVE EACH of them.
I thought the evo was ok, too raucous and no diff or quicker than my old GTiR...just more dollar.
Go out in a few and see what you think.

·
Registered
275 Posts
to be honest, i'd be amazed if most people here DIDNT say go for the skyline, after all, it is the gtr bbs.
to many, both here and perhaps on the mlr, the gtr is regarded as the ultimate. its certainly an amazing car.
as with skylines, it depends on what tuner you use as to how much power can be extracted from an engine withut it going pop. i'm taking RC's word for it (they are a great outfit IMHO) and will be going over 400bhp next year...on pretty much standard internals:eek: :D

personally, i dont see the evo as step down, perhaps just a sideways move to the sort of car ive been looking for. having owned/driven (including a certain pulsar;):D ) just about all the cars ive ever lusted after, i still look for any excuse to get into my evo, and its the car ive decided to stick with.
i dont think i have the better car, just the better car for me. still love skylines, and may even go for an r32 next year for more modding madness...but i will still keep my evo, just love it too much to sell her.

if anyones at trax, pop over to the mlr stand if you get chance and say hello:)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts