GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,just want start of by saying there are some amazing skylines on here!!!

iv been in a couple of skyline's r33 gtst and r34 v-spec's, i know i cant afford a r34 so it has to be a r33 gtst, but how realiable are they? ive always had german cars such as golf g60's and vr6's and m3's.
how good is the build quality on r33 skylines? also how long in mileage do the cars go up to cos like for example "you know how people say bm's and golfs can last upto 150-180k".

Also what are common things to go wrong?
And how much are things like clutch's,cam belts etc to replace?

If i get one i wouldnt really modify it alot to the extreme but i think il be happy with 300 - 350ish bhp. The main mods would be external like bodykit, lights wheels etc.

sorry for all the questions but just need to find out as much as i can before i buy one.

p.s thanks for reading my thread.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My stage 1 modded R33 Gts-t was driven every day for 18 months. Did 30k miles. Never missed a beat, just serviced it regular and changed the oil every 3,500 miles.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

As far as reliability is concerned if they have been well looked after and maintained and you don't want to go too mental on the tuning side they are relatively cheap to service. Obviosuly bigger jobs can be more expensive but regular maintenance is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I think reliability, as with any car really, is down to regular servicing and not to over-the-top tuning, my r32 GTR has covered 70 thousand miles and is in a fairly mild state of tune (Just decat exhaust, filters, bigger intercooler) and runs like a dream.. Warm it up and down properly, change the oil and filter every 3k and you should have thousands of miles of trouble free motoring :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
v_sp3c said:
thanks guys for the info, i wana spend around 5k do u think i can find a decent one?
Like most things, your going to get what you paid for.;) £6.5 would be a rough starting point IMHO. If your looking at £5K, it will probably need things done.

Try and get one that has had a previous owner over here in the UK. That way you should get some service history with the car. Have a good luck on here and on SOC, there are quite a few for sale at the moment.:)

Good luck with your search!

Andy.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Andy's about right. There are some nice R33 GtST's around for around the 6.5-7K mark. You can get nice models for less, but unless you know exactly everything inside out, then you take the risk of buying a bummer.
Good luck with the search:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi m8, r33gts-t for sale

if you check out the cars for sale section , youll see im selling my gts-t r33 and im looking for £6500.00 for it . its minted with all history and runs sweet . company car forces me to sell it
e-mail me at [email protected] or phone me on 07704 689328 for all details m8 . its going for a great price , lots of extras on it , but not tuned apart from new induction kit .
matty [ edinburgh ].

link from adtrader . its the red one .
http://www.adtrader.co.uk/classhome.php?class_id=110&trader_id=8864&search_words=skyline

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would every one kill me if i thought about buying a impreza turbo???

any one had one? or driven one????

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
I bought an impreza five months old in November.
Kept it for five years and loved it.
The money you want to spend will get you into a "classic" impreza.
Be very careful, take someone who knows about the car with you and for G_ds sake HPI it.

You cannot drive a tuned impreza at 30mph so be very, very careful.

Also. Impreza's handle wonderfully but they cannot defy the laws of physics. So be careful going through the Craner Curves ....

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
When I was looking for a new car I looked at the Impreza, and I drove two different ones, one a T reg and one a 51 plate, I have to say I was somewhat underwhelmed by the performance (Just took my 300zx off the road) so I looked back toward nissan, Tried the Pulsar, good fun, quick off the mark, but too heavy, Got the Skyline GTS, Love it to bits, Got mine cheap as the Turbo was FUBAR and a few other things where needed, But I doubt I will ever sell it, so I figure, When we fix we upgrade.

Mark.

P.S. The point I was trying to make was, Drive a few, see what you like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol thanks for the advice, i metioned to one of my mates that i might be getting a skyline and he said that it would be worth getting a rac man out to do a allround check and that he could tell me if it was a ringer etc and it also included a hpi check for around £250ish, so the question would be if i brought a skyline or scooby what checks do i do to check it out? or is there any checks avaliable to tell me if the car was in a accident in japan or damaged repaired?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Use the search button...............there are loads of threads asking about this, you should find tons of information.

Oh.........and I've been down the Impreza route, fine car, but the Skyline is much better IMHO.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Things I found that you may have to look for, this is as well as body damage HPI and the obvious, Check for smoke, especially after closing then opening the throttle, listen to the starter it may rattle when it first starts (I fixed mine using a shim from a vaux corsa starter),Look at the tyres (inside and out), drive a few miles, make sure no warning lights come on and oil pressure is ok, its all fairly obvious I know, Also it may help if you write a check list of things to look at before you go, and then go through it when you get there.

Mark.

P.S. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts