GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi iv currently got an mr2 and want something quicker and nicer, iv always loved these cars but iv heared things to put me off my ambition. basically iv heared that these cars are not that reliable, and if something goes wrong u cant find some one to fix them? i thought id ask u guys first as uv got first hand experiance and can advise me?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to be honest im not sure. i would of thought theyd be like most other jap cars reliable as long as well maintained, and i cant really see that much of a problem some one repairing a subaru as a skyline sorry to sound a bit of an amater but i am lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
to be honest im not sure. i would of thought theyd be like most other jap cars reliable as long as well maintained, and i cant really see that much of a problem some one repairing a subaru as a skyline sorry to sound a bit of an amater but i am lol
Your not sure what part of the country you're in? or who told you they're unrealible? now i'm confussed!

·
Registered
930 Posts
i think you mr2 will cost more to fix as part prices arent to far apart but you dont have to take the engine out everytime you work on it so labour cost on mr2 are normally very high.
if you look after a skyline it wont cost much at all.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I'm puzzled as to why so many people think Skylines are any more expensive if they go wrong, compared to Scooby's, MR2's, NSX's, RX7's there isn't too much in price difference.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I had an MR2 for 4 years and like you wanted something faster. The simple answer is yes get one, but get one that has as much service history as possible. If you get a good one then they aren`t to expensive, "but" you will probably spend fortune tuning.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Engines in the Skylines are Rock solid.:smokin:
Most of the people I know that have them are kept well serviced and not taken to the limit continuously, and they have no problems.
I agree with "moNoKnot", you pay for what you get generally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You pay for what you get matey, there are alot of good gtr's out there but there are also a few bad ones.

- Kevin.
So as a general question from me...I'm very much inclined to scrimp and save the 5 or 6 grand that seems to be the lowest that Skylines come at...and I'm expecting to get something that'll take me a while to fix up until I'm happy. Should I shelve that idea and just keep on saving to get something a little bit special but that won't (in my head) have as much of me poured into it in terms of making my very own personal skyline?

because that's how I read that one and the last post....

·
Registered
286 Posts
as i currently own both the cars you are talking about mr2 turbo and r33 gtst i would choose the skyline over the mr2 any day of the week, not only for speed but for comfort and looks and individuality:) as much as like the to chuck it around its not in the same category for pure driving fun, but due to the fact i have now purchased a a pulsar the skyline or mr2 has to go for now,both on autotrader at very good prices:bowdown1:
but once im sorted i will get myself another before the summer i hope :popcorn:
so my friend go the skyline way for hours of fun:chuckle:

·
Registered
4 Posts
hellos there Im quite new here

Am Also thinking of getting a Skyline.

I currently have a Saab 93 and am moving to England in January 2007 and would need a car with steering wheel on the right side anyways, so I thought what the heck might aswell sell my car and get a Skyline since they don't have them here in Switzerland and I always kinda fancied them.

How much are the taxes and insurance cost for a GTR 33 (or GTS) that is mildly tuned (lots of torque at low rpm, ~400bhp etc) approx in the UK?
How much fuel do they use for 100km?

Does anyone know of dealers/garages that have them for sale that are close to Derby or Nottingham and have Skylines for 5000£-10000£ no older than like '97 and not many miles, service done etc?

I do not care much about the engine tuning as I would use it on a daily basis, it only has to look nice and has to make a nice sound and have similar performance like say an Audi RS6. Also it would have to be street legal in France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Slovenja, Croatia etc (meaning that I could cross the border on vacation while car still registered in UK)

Also, what do the "ono" "ovno" and other abbreviations stand for that I read about when I look at prices online?

"Edit: Ok, ono = or near offer"

cheers
Nils

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.