GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My disks and pads are pretty much knackered on the front of my GTR and once the car is mapped will be looking at around 600bhp. Would an uprated set of disks and pads be fine? Or should i get some bigger calipers etc instead?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I'd go for both if you are sitting around the 600bhp mark. 6 pot calipers at least on the front. I had 8pot K Sports on my last gtr with only 420ish.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Always add more "STOP" before you add more "GO" :thumbsup:

I got my APs on before I even starting to increase any power, always nice to be able to stop shorter whatever power you are running.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
At those kind of power levels a decent big brake kit is sensible in my opinion.
You can put on speed very quickly, if you need to stop because someone pulls out and doesn't realise you car can accelerate so quickly it's nice to be able to stop fast too.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts

I got my APs on before I even starting to increase any power, always nice to be able to stop shorter whatever power you are running.
Agreed, not point having a 600 bhp car with brakes of a modern hot hatch.

Go for some 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears. Keep away from K sport/D2, go for a proper setup like AP, Brembo or Alcon.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Waste of money for a street car.

Get some quality pads and brake fluid for reliable performance, unless you race on a track.

If you need a "B.B.K" on the street, your driving must be totally reckless and anti-social to need them.

·
Administrator
31,760 Posts

Get some quality pads and brake fluid for reliable performance, unless you race on a track.

If you need a "B.B.K" on the street, your driving must be totally reckless and anti-social to need them.
My B.B.K saved me from a motorway pile up about 2 weeks after I fitted it. There was nothing wrong with my OEM brakes but if they had still been on the car it would be on the scrap heap now.

Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts

I would have thought its simple common sense, if you are spending out huge amounts of money on making a car go faster, why not spend some making it stop faster too?

Of course i'm not implying everyone should have huge brakes and stamp on them at the last second coming up to a queue of traffic, but on my evo I had some PF floating disks and very good pads + lines and expensive fluid, but even they got cooked on a couple of occasions just on normal driving.

So with this car it made sense to improve the brakes :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys, I will keep my eyes out for some then. Wont be doing trackdays though.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed, not point having a 600 bhp car with brakes of a modern hot hatch.

Go for some 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears. Keep away from K sport/D2, go for a proper setup like AP, Brembo or Alcon.
Whats wrong with the Ksport/D2 brakes?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Whats wrong with the Ksport/D2 brakes?
Lol don't open that can of worms.

I've been recently reading lots on brakes for my car as well. It's easy to get sucked in to the 'you need a gazillion piston calliper with 1000mm disk, don't forget the zuperzendless ice cold shred your disk to bits pads' and before you know it you're looking at 2k plus just for the fronts. In the end I managed to get 4 pot grex alcon fronts with 330mm and blue pagid pads.

It just comes down to your use of the car. I'm keeping it for the road mainly and hopefully my set up is more than enough but at the same point liveable with and put to good use rather than having a huge disk because I really doubt I'm going to have heat issues driving on the road.

Also don't forget tyres, another huge factor in having to slow down the car.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Set youre self a budget and then ask for advice , I think a bigger disk and better pads for a road car is whats needed , as youre car is not stock now. I have gone for the R35 kit as it makes sense for me as I have 18" wheels and the kit works out good value for the front and rears.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts

or somebody else's is and you have to stop.

The point is with you only get one chance to stop and if you cant it will cost you ..........and driving a 600bhp car really is nothing like driving a 400 bhp one,

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
or somebody else's is and you have to stop.

The point is with you only get one chance to stop and if you cant it will cost you ..........and driving a 600bhp car really is nothing like driving a 400 bhp one,
With decent pads and tires stopping shouldn't be an issue.
You must doing some serious driving if you manage to get your brakes to fade on a public road...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm mixed opinions now!

I dont drive the car mega hard, normally some straight line blasts every now and then, not constant braking etc.

I dont mind spending the money on a set of calipers etc if i really need them but, i also have the limitation of my wheels which are 18x9.5 et10 ultralite nurburgrings which dont look like they have much room with the standard calipers fitted!

Does anyone know the maximum size you can get behind them?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts