GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps/girls.

I have a hks FCON PRO ecu. Would i benifit from a boost controller also? I have never really understood these boost controlers. How do you control your fuel when you turn the boost up?

I see many cars with apexi powerfc that also have a boost controller. Why do you need both?

What would i gain by fitting one along side my Hks FCON pro?

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
ECU controls fuel, timing etc and the boost controller...well controls the boost :)

Mappers usually give you 2-3 different boost settings and I 'believe' the one map covers all these different boost settings.

Obviously you have an FCON PRO so you can have two seperate maps by moving the jumper switch if it's setup.

Eg: I have two maps on the Drag R, one for pump fuel with x3 boost settings and another for race fuel which has a 4th boost setting.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o.k i understand i can move the jumper switches. I think the FCON PRO hold 4 fuel maps and 4 ignition maps is it?

(the ecu is not mapped yet by the way)

If i ask for a max power map and then a nice drive around map that i can adjust by flicking the switches can i then over ride these maps safe with a boost controller?

However these jumper switches are not easy to get to when the ecu is mounted out the way.

So if i was driving around town and decided im in a fast mood can the boost controller over ride the low power setting on the fcon? with safe fuel/throttle maps etc?

Also these HKS mixture control knobs. I have one that i will use for the launch control RPM. CAn i use a second switch to change the fuel/boost maps? Can it change maps? If so, will it change the fuel and boost? or fuel only? if fuel only i can see a boost controler helping. However it would be easy to select the wrong fuel map/trim to the boost .

Does that make sence?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
yep deffo need a boost controller but you probably only need one map as such for road fuel up to the max safe boost and then maybe a secondary dipswitch controlled additional map for race fuel.

The HKS evc VI boost controller for example then has A and B settings for say normal low boost daily driving and for your max boost setting that is safe. Both of which are fine with the same Fcon vPro map, and you can switch easily between the two boost settings or adjust the settings using the dash display unit.

Then the new HKS Knock Amp and AFR read-out would complete the set.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
As said before whatever the map (by that I mean normal road maps) a boost controller will change the boost all within the map so its really a must for a road car running any real power.
I have an HKS V pro gold on the Stagea running with a profec B boost controler . Works fine as you dont want to be running high power all the time (around towwn etc)
Plus with the profec you can get a remote switch which can mount on the steering wheel to change from low to high boost instantly ( without fiddling about with the controller on the dash)

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
o.k i understand i can move the jumper switches. I think the FCON PRO hold 4 fuel maps and 4 ignition maps is it?

(the ecu is not mapped yet by the way)

If i ask for a max power map and then a nice drive around map that i can adjust by flicking the switches can i then over ride these maps safe with a boost controller?

However these jumper switches are not easy to get to when the ecu is mounted out the way.

So if i was driving around town and decided im in a fast mood can the boost controller over ride the low power setting on the fcon? with safe fuel/throttle maps etc?

Also these HKS mixture control knobs. I have one that i will use for the launch control RPM. CAn i use a second switch to change the fuel/boost maps? Can it change maps? If so, will it change the fuel and boost? or fuel only? if fuel only i can see a boost controler helping. However it would be easy to select the wrong fuel map/trim to the boost .

Does that make sence?
Personally, if you're not going to have a seperate race fuel map then I wouldn't bother with a second one. You don't want to be messing about with the jumper switches!

Just get the one pump fuel map and say a low boost and high boost setting on your boost controller so you can turn it down on wet days or when you just want to poodle about and then you can turn it up when you want to have a blat.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Just get the one pump fuel map and say a low boost and high boost setting on your boost controller so you can turn it down on wet days or when you just want to poodle about and then you can turn it up when you want to have a blat.
Thats the theory but it will never be turned on low boost now will it? hahaha

·
Registered
439 Posts
Exactly Madden....just use your right foot to control the boost.

I have a Manual Boost T and looking at my boost graph I don't really see the need to pay $$ for a boost controller.
It may allow me to prevent the boost tapering off at high RPM...but as it only drops off about 0.4 Psi I don't really see a problem.

So dont feel you have to have one Matty.
I would rather put the cash towards a Knock amp.
If money is not a consideration then by all means get one.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Thats the theory but it will never be turned on low boost now will it? hahaha
Depends on what power you are running - I cant see giles driving round in the wet on high boost for a start. :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Re more than one map - I thought that was more for different fuels or for a silly boost setting on very high power cars.

If you are just driving around with occassional (or regular) lead foot one type of fuel one map will be enough . The boost controller doesnt overide the F con it just raises the boost within the map .

Re saving $ "if money is not a consideration" Well if it is a major consideration dont tune an RB engine :chuckle:

The cost of a boost controller is nothing compared to what you will spend on an F con and a proper map. And to warrant an fcon the engine must be running fair power which means it has cost £££s already .

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys. To answer all the questions.

Money is not a issue (within reason) and i want to get the best kit i can for my car.

I already have HKS knock amp/ Af and the Fcon PRO gold ecu.

As for power? i should be seeing around 600 bhp.

Anyway i phoned my tuner/maper and asked them if they want a boost controller in there. The said YES so i guess i will be buying one soon !

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
yeah as above definately a boost controller.

What do they do when mapping? Do they map the car up to a certain boost level and the map will automatically adjust for the boost levels in between or what? I didnt really pay much attention to tweenie when he mapped mine as i was looking at the road! haha

When tweenie mapped my car he did exactly that, mapped the car up to 1.6 bar boost, didnt map on the different boost levels but just set them into the controller for easy switching. Boost can be altered between the levels if needs be but there is normally no point and not worth the hassle of getting it wrong!

I thought the capability of a second map was only for race fuel or a very high boost only option etc, as surely you wouldnt need more than one map for road use as the boost controller can sort out the boost levels that you want to run when and where.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You can't just map it for say 1.6 bar and expect it to be fine at 1.2.
It should be mapped for all boost levels upto the maximum correctly which isn't really that much extra work.
That will all be fine on one fuel map then if you want another for race fuel it's a complete new fuel and ignition map which will be selectable through the dp switches.

If in doubt or need more information just give Dan a call at TDi ;)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
That would have been my first thought, i just couldnt remember tweenie playing with my boost controller but thinking about it more i am positive he did adjust it etc before runs.

my bad!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts