• No - It identifies vehicle detail and locations

Votes: 23 34.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the concern about security, I believe many people think this entire section of the forum should not exist, since it does nothing other than identify where specific cars are located and partially identifies their reg plates.

Is this paranoia or legitimate concern?

You decide.

Guy

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
I for one am not too paranoid, although some threads
do go into too much detail, ie Regular times and places.

I voted no though because I don't use it. In order
for it to work, everyone would have to go into it every day.

But its a free choise, so I choose not to use it.

Mind you I would be pissed if someone posted my Reg, with times
an places etc.

So there need to be fixed rules for it to stay.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I've posted alot of times about skylines i've spotted, but have tried to be as vague as i can about the actual car i've seen - certainly have never posted a reg plate.

I hadn't really given any thought about areas spotted being given out being a problem - unless it was on someones driveway of course !

I've used it quite alot, but alot of the cars i spot don't seem to be forum members - so quite happy to see it go to be honest.

I'll vote to remove it - especially if it concerns people about scumbag thieves having potential information on the whereabouts of your motors.

Daz

·
Registered
581 Posts
If people don't like having the 'WAS IT YOU?' section , then they shouldn't reply to posts saying it was their car.

If this section gets closed, then owners may want to consider removing their location from their profiles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Keep it!!

I have made a couple of mates with it !!

KEEP IT i say

d

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I say keep it too.
If a theif wanted a skyline im sure he could find 1.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I say keep it cos one day you never know, someone, somewhere might spot me and Dont ask me why but I would get a kick out it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree. I am looking forward to seeing my car on here one day. If theives wanted to use this forum to locate a car they would have to very carefully follow these threads on a daily basis to get even a vague idea about any given car's location.
Keep it. Its definately one of the best parts of the site and I always get a buzz checking it after using the my car for a while.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Lolly here

I think you should keep this part of the forum.

Although there are dodgy times when people post too much of someones number plate, times, locations and stuff like that (thats when a moderator should step in and perhaps delte the thread), I think that it is quite nice to know people have seen your car and acknowledged it.

You could end up with the general chit chat being full of was it you threads instead.

Again if people were that worried about the locations being public many wouldnt use it in their member details or as their user names.

Id get annoyed if someone posted even a little bit of my number plate as it is one that you could guess what it says being related to the actual car but if they just said saw a red 33 gts near such a place then i could acknowledge and say hi and i wouldnt really be bothered.

At the end of the day we all respect our cars and would like them to stay in our posession and I think the majority of people do respect this fact and try not to post too much detail. Maybe assigning a couple more moderators to this specific thread can help keep an eye on the type of information people are posting then it can be dealt with straight away.

Sorry for rambling on :)

Lolly

S

·
0 Posts
Well:

I live on the Isle of Wight and there are no other Skylines down here at all. None :( not a bl**dy one'r....

So get rid of it, its no flippin' use to me at all.

Unless we can change it to say.. was it you for ginger people, or people with dogs on bits of string or un-married mothers, in which case im all for it ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
poll

just like to say that i agree that the section should stay but strict rules should be implemented and taken on board i think (and no offence to people on the forum) that basically cars should be only identified by colour and city cos im sure that the owner concerned will easily be able to relate at thier own pace and then in thier hands to reply or not.

POST MOVED INTO CORRECT THREAD - GUY

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think this section would be great...

... If someone spotted me ;)

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet as I must be covering more miles than most of the rest of the forum at the moment (about 3000 per month in the skyline :eek: )

·
Registered
134 Posts
I understand the concern from some at having numberplates posted, and although not a Skyline owner myself, I can see why there is paranoia, but....

Everytime you take your car out on the open road, people have access to the very same details, which IMHO is far more exposure than on the "was it you?" section of this site.

However if there are specific types of people out there, that do steal cars for a living, they will come and look on places like this for that kind of info !

As Cem said, there lots and lots of other places aside from this section where this information could be gathered, should we have all meets in non public places just in case all the details are being noted by a unscrupulous person?? - I think not .

Rgds,

Paul

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Consensus

The general consensus is 'leave it, its OK', so thats what will happen.

Thats what the poll was for after all, to guage everyone's opinion.

Guy

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rules

Scott,

What is your suggestion, do you mean rules regarding how many details are disclosed?

Guy

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
Guy,
Yes exactly.
People like it, but arn't too happy when every detail is added.

So why not put on the heading banner, 'No full Reg plate', 'Regular locations' etc etc????

Just to keep people happier.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts