GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should you actually have a little smoke when driving hard or is it that you should have none at all???

Might sound like a silly question but you get alot of questions on here about it and perhaps people are a touch paranoid...............for those that are, I dont blame you..........these things can be expensive!!

So when you are only accelerating hard should you have a touch of light grey smoke?

Or None?

Only between gear changes?

Smoke while idling or slow driving we know is a problem.

Any thick smoke is a definate problem.

By the way this is not a talk to FRANK questionaire!!!:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
lots of black smoke with the odd flame chucked in for good measure.just means the fuelling is on the rich side.wouldnt be happy to see a tuned one not chucking out some black smoke.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have plenty of smoke well I'm only noticing it now as were getting into winter you can see it so much more just like when you can see your breath in the cold weather sort of thing.

My car has plenty of smoke on idle when I start her up but after a good drive and warm up there is nothing. Guessing that's normal but with tuned cars that tend to rum a little rich your gonna get more smoke.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I dont know if anyone has taken off their intercooler pipes recently but I have never seen one that doesnt have traces of oil in them... I would imagine that at one time or another all of our cars blow smoke both black and blue.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Black smoke when booting = rich = cylinder cooling = win :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
a little black smoke is normal as it is a combination of a rich mixture and also carbon deposits being blown through the exhaust lots of black smoke is not good as a seriously over rich engine can destroy itself through bore wash etc

the smoke you are seeing in cold weather is not smoke but steam!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts