GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on and around the Nissan Skyline GT-R for a few years. From the MotoRex days here in the US in 1999. The US rules and regulations for importing are very difficult for vehicles never originally imported. Something came up awhile back on the Nismo R32 GT-R, and I decided to explore a special NHTSA(safety) exemption for the car. There were 560 cars made, but only 500 sold to the public. Nissan kept 60 cars to convert into race cars.

Show or Display exemption allows you to import significant vehicles that are historically or technologically significant, generally under 500 produced, and be exempt from the NHTSA(safety) requirements. You can drive the cars up to 2500 miles a year until they are 25 years old, and then the exemption is lifted. Over 25 years old is NHTSA exempt. For the EPA(federal emissions), over 21 years old is exempt.

So I put in the application, and waited. Followed up, chased up, and then about forgot about it. About 14 months later, I got the following letter in my mailbox.

I was super happy, and then started the process of finding cars. It just so happened that two cars came up the same day. #383 and #500. #383 needed a bit of work, but #500 was pretty original. Put them on the boat, and they arrived last Tuesday in the US.

#383 is already going to a good friend. We got the car for a good price, and fixing cars is something he enjoys.

Its a nice thing to finally get accomplished here in the US. A legal R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R. Not a big deal in most of the world. Happy to have a GT-R in the garage, and even better its #500. Nice round number

Some more information on the Nismo R32 GT-R, including scan of homolgation paperwork. Nissan Skyline GT-R s in the USA Blog: Nismo R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R - Show or Display

View this entire album: Nismo R32 Skyline GT-R Show or Display

·
Registered
732 Posts
Good work will you be modifying these or will you be keeping them stock?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good work will you be modifying these or will you be keeping them stock?
The #383 has a couple of mods on it. Going to un-f--k it a little bit before it heads to my friend in Chicago.

The last car he bought from me was the Gucci Cadillac. The 'lac was supposed go go to Japan, but never made it. Nissan Skyline GT-R s in the USA Blog: Gucci

I don't think we will be driving #383 back to Chicago, will nearly hit our 2500 mile limit.

As far as #500, I kind of like it looking pretty stock. I have a lot of GT-R parts accumulated over 14 years of GT-R playing. So if you see it with a Getrag, an RB32, and drag radials....

So far its just been looking over things, and cleaning it up. Putting in a radio and some speakers that work. Nissan Skyline GT-R s in the USA Blog: 500

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thought you might be interested to see this. It's a factory works race car, now privately owned by a friend of a friend, in Japan:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Took it to Cars and Coffee in Irvine on Saturday morning. If you are ever in the LA area early on a Saturday morning, well worth showing up if you are a car fan.
Do these still run in early march? I'll be in that part of the states on holiday around then...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Wow! Porsche 917K Flat 12 Le Mans Replica! Very cool!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts