GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm pretty certain I had a near death experience yesterday!

After following a Scooby and a suped-up Corsa racing each other on a dual carriageway last night, I stupidly let my enthusiasm get the better of me. I (unintentionally) ended up flying between the two sideways at around 75 mph. Not fast I here you say - and yes 75 doesn't usually feel fast but this was on a roundabout!!!!

My short life and numerous insurance claims flash before my eyes and the missus had hers closed for 5 minutes afterwards. :eek: Needless to say, this pant-filling experience caused me to drive around at 25mph today!

I would be interested in hearing of any other sideways experiences, good, bad, intentional, accidental or disasterous.

Would also like advice on tyres, suspension kits, ride adjustment and strut braces to avoid occurances like this in future!

:smokin:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just quickly wanted to say I do not condone reckless action on the public highway and if it makes things simpler, we can discuss track-only action on this thread. I will leave that decision to you the submitting parties...

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Andrew,

I guess most of us have been sideways in a Skyline at some point. It's what the fun's all about. ;) If you liked it try contacting Driftaholic - he organises drift-days.

John

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
How sideways are we talking here? The back stepping out or full on 90 degree drifting (that would've been quite a shock for the other two cars I'd imagine!) :D

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I once took the car to the Twin Ring Motegi race track. After a few very entertaining laps I though I was under control, when at the Bridgetstone corner I lost the car at 120km/h and ended up 20cm from the barrier.

Not a fun experience!

They are building a new sports center close to my home, and have recently finished the car park...which is bloody enormous!! It has become a hangout for the drift clubs of the area. Needless to say I have had a few goes at drifting the car around like a proper hooligan....loads of fun:D :D

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
90 degress

That's for wimps. You want to try 270 degrees into a hedge now that's scary:eek:

I ended up coming off a round about in the wet straight over a branch and the contents of the car infront's oil sump at 45ish mph. I went left, I went right, then left again then right again and all the way round across the wrong side of the carriageway. Luckily there was no one coming else I would have probably killed someone.

Shortly after this I decided that the standard 16 inch 205's were perhaps not up to the job. I now have Mr Sutton's old 17's with 255s on.

All I need now is Gary to put the car back together and I'll be sorted:D

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
yeh, that counts just because you wrecked a bmw ;)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I got an MC Smart car 90 degress and held it in an opposite lock power slide for about 3 seconds before spinning it.......

...........at 5mph in the snow on a mini roundabout

:D

Rob

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, mine was about 45-60 degrees back end out to the left and then about 30 to right before re-stabilising in a straight line. I reckon the other two drivers thought I was showing off cos they were both staring at me with the cheesiest grins afterwards!

The joke is - I don't think I reproduce the action if I tried - and I won't be trying it again in a hurry!!!.

My very first spinning saga came about 20 hours after I bought the car and spun out in the wet on the roundabout by Wellington Country Park (I heard this one's had a few people!?). My back end came round the left in front of the car and I ended going backwards into a lamp post. My poor Skyline still bears some of the wounds!

The other was a week ago Saturday when I was heading for the Southend cruise (hundreds of cars down there last time, a few 300ZX's, but I was the only Skyline!). I spun out a mile before I got there and slammed my front left wheel into the kerb. I was only doing 25 mph!!!! Sh*tty P6000 tyres!

I was gutted cos I had to spend the night in my mates Rover 200 :(

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
m1

That's bad, what size wheels have you got?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small! 16s with P6000 205/55s. I want to change them for 17s with 225/35 at the front and 235/35 at the back.

Any other recommended setups?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
16's will kill you one day

Same as mine. I have finally managed to swap mine to 17's with 255s. Seeing as though the GTR has 245s I thought it would be a good idea.

I don't understand how Nissan beleived that a car the size and weight of a Skyline GTS with 250 bhp would ever be OK on 205s.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Dino-it would have probably improved it if it had done :) I never had the bottle to try it at any type of higher speeds, it wasn't may car. I wish I had done now!

Rob

·
Registered
211 Posts
I drove a BMW E36 Coupe on the highway at 200 kmh on a rainy day when some people started flashing their lights.
I went down to 130 or so driving in a straight line when suddenly the car went 90 degree within a tenth of a second.
I managed to get the front in the right direction but ran out of space and crashed in to the side barrier with 120 kmh.
The barrier slammed me back on the road again with a complete wrecked left side of the car still doing 120 kmh.
While the fenders were rubbing the wheels and all kind of parts went past my side window I could regain control and parked the car on the right side of the highway with the pants still dry :)
Only thing that really scared me was that I expected the airbag to come out but luckily it didn't.
FYI,This was in the Netherlands driving on the oposit side of the road.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sounds scary! Rather you than me! Sounds like you did a good job to keep it steady though!

John, what's the picture on your Avatar? I've never seen one of those - when were they being made?

Andrew

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Skyline 2400 GT

It's good to we've got some long-standing heritage behind us then! What was the year(s) of production for the 2400's then?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts