GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at fitting manual boost control today but the signal line to the actuators comes right out under the back of the plenum, goes into a hard line and wraps round the back of the head.

My question is, is there an easy point at which to intercept that line before it gets to the actuators, preferably rubber hose? The hose coming out from under the plenum looks just about unreachable with the engine in situ. Maybe if I took the fuel rail off?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah just a bleed valve control.

Well from my understanding of the vacuum diagram, if you remove the standard boost solenoid from the equation then I think there's still a max boost you can run, about 1 bar? I think the only way to directly affect the line pressure going to the actuators is to put something in the line that I've pictured above?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Read the diagram again.
When the boost solenoid is closed, boost signal flows from the plenum to the actuators, so you'll see actuator boost at your boost gauge.
When the solenoid opens, some boost signal is bled off, so it takes more actual boost for the waste gates to open.
By fitting a bleed valve in place of the factory solenoid, you'd doing the same thing but you can probably bled off more boost signal than the factory designed solenoid and restrictor arrangement, thereby giving the chance of more actual boost, depending on your turbos of course.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm experimenting with running a bit of straight through pipe in place of the boost solenoid at the moment and it's taken me to 1 bar. I've got one of the ball-bearing type boost control valves and I'm not convinced they actually bleed boost as such. I think it needs to be put directly in line in between the plenum and actuators

·
Registered
325 Posts
Think I know how to convince you.
Remove your straight through pipe and let it run to atmosphere.
Tell us how you get on with unlimited boost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Read the diagram again.
When the boost solenoid is closed, boost signal flows from the plenum to the actuators, so you'll see actuator boost at your boost gauge.
When the solenoid opens, some boost signal is bled off, so it takes more actual boost for the waste gates to open.
By fitting a bleed valve in place of the factory solenoid, you'd doing the same thing but you can probably bled off more boost signal than the factory designed solenoid and restrictor arrangement, thereby giving the chance of more actual boost, depending on your turbos of course.
This is correct.
No matter when you connect your aftermarket solenoid right before the actuators or in the palce where stock solenoid is.

The pipe which goes in the back of engine and comes out near actuators takes it's start from stock solenoid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts