GTR Forum banner

Would you be interested in Silicon intake pipes, (AFM - Turbos)?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,561 Posts
I am just writing this thread to gauge interest.

I am in talks with a to manufacture set's, (2), of RB26 AFM to Turbo ducts in Silicon.

These are the two I am talking about replacing, (circled in red):

The reason for this is the duct to the rear Turbo in particular is notorious for collapse under boost and especially when hot, and this therefore strangles the rear turbo :(. Additionally there is a nasty restrictive bend as it comes out of the rear AFM.
These problem can usually be solved by fitting a Hard pipe kit, butat great expense. There is another solution of replacement silicon pipes made by another manufacturer, but these can be improved on in terms of their performance and price for that matter.

I personally am trying to modify my car while still keeping a 'Stock' under bonnet look, so I won't be going the Hard Pipe route, and as an Air Induction System designer by trade, I wont be going the second route either as I know they can be greatly improved on.

My proposal is to replace the front and rear turbo intake pipes with 5 ply Silicon, both will have internal metal supporting structure to prevent collapse. The rear pipe will not have convolutes as the stock part does, as they are not needed of engine rock, and they only cause restriction. Additionally this duct will also have a larger bend radii as it comes out of the rear AFM, again reducing restriction and improving breathing.

The manufacturer has initially indicated that they expect they could supply these parts for £100 the pair if we can sell 10-15.
But I must stress, they have yet to see a physical part so can't say 100%. I will try to send them ducts this week to work from and give an accurate quote.

Combining a set of these ducts along with the 'Baffles Twin Turbo' pipe, (As sold in the GTROC shop), would make a great improvement to any RB26, and cost a fraction of a Hard Pipe kit.

If you would be interested in a set, then please leave you name below, and in the mean time I'll will get confirmation of a price.

I think for ~£100, you can't go wrong. ;)

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
julio, do you mind voting, so I can get an idea, (in the end), of a level of confidence in shifting 10 set?

Ta for the responce though. ;)

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1,julio2906
2, Cris

Sub £100 sounds good to me. I should add that I take your stock look comments fairly seriously. If you do black pipework I'm in, not keen on the red, blue, purple stuff.
I did not to talk colours yet as i feared everyone would want something differen. my initial going in point will be black, although i may talk colours with them once i know if the idea is a goer or not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1,julio2906
2, Cris
3, trevbwhite
4, R32 GTR R32 GTR
5, ANDY GTR

would like to know how much for them in blue but black would be fine :thumbsup:

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I say, I have yet to ask them about colours, at the moment I am just judging interest to see if we have enough interest to make it worth them tooling up for them.

At the moment, only a few hours after I started this thread, things look positive.

Hopefully I can send off some stock parts for them to look at and give an accurate quote tomorrow. Either way I'll keep you all posted. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
1,julio2906
2, Cris
3, trevbwhite
4, R32 GTR R32 GTR
5, ANDY GTR
6, Richpa

I would consider one if it was in SFS Blue

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Yep, on reflection looks one of the easier jobs on a RB26!

Just remembered though that I will be running Z32 AFM which means that a silicon pipe won't stretch over.

Suppose I could cut it shorter and join in a larger piece for the AFMs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Interested :thumbsup:
Would like colour option if possible.

Would be good if you could get them to do a full coolant replacement kit as well to replace all the age hardened hoses under the plenum..
Seems to be a common area for leakage on poor old R32s!

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update.

I spoke to the guy yesterday regarding colours, and even in this initial small batch/group buy, he can offer colours. :thumbsup:

He did state only 'standard' colours, from that I'd imaging Red, Blue, Purple etc.

I have just returned from the post office and a set of standard hoses are now winging their way over to them for pricing and so we can talk designs, i.e, I am keen to get the lowest restriction I can from them.

Anyway, I'll let you all know a price once I have talked to them, (Tomorrow of Monday).

If this Group Buy is successful, (i.e. we get the 10 sales and no one messes them about with payment), I will open discussion with them regarding supplying all the GT-R ducts they offer to GTROC members via our Web shop at a discounted price.
They already offer RB Intercooler/heater and breather hoses, plus a range to R35 hoses.:smokin:

Just remembered though that I will be running Z32 AFM which means that a silicon pipe won't stretch over.
I could ask them if they could add and 'insert' into the tools so that they can also make hoses to fit the larger AFM's. The rest of the duct will be the same Dia, but it may be possible to do.

Any one know what the Z32 AFM outlet Dia is?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts