GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a GTR and am about to ask a real stupid question.

I want a MY 11 or newer as I heard they have resolved most of the problems.

I assumed a MY 11 is basically an "11 or 61 plate" but someone told me this isn't true, is someone just trying to confuse me or do i have it all wrong

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
it's a rule of thumb that works.

Best way to tell is LED DRLs in line with and below headlights.

On a separate issue not sure what you mean by problems. The MY11 includes several minor improvements over the previous model but doesn't fix any problems that I can think of.

The only "problem" with the GT-R that some people perceive is potential gearbox failure, but do a little research and you'll see this is mostly a non-event and even in the 0.01% chance of the worst case scenario is not anything like as expensive to fix as the £20k horror stories suggest. The most important point in relation to this thread though is that the MY11 did not specifically address the gearbox "problem" anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
For all the trolls out there: SIAL

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts

I assumed a MY 11 is basically an "11 or 61 plate" but someone told me this isn't true, is someone just trying to confuse me or do i have it all wrong
Not always. I've an 11 plate but it's a MY10. The plate is only assigned to the car when it's registered, so you could have an older car than the plate indicates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry i was under the impression by litchfield that the MY 11 dont need any extra care on the transmission.

Okay so then what is the real way of checking the model and year if 11 or 61 plate means nothing

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry i was under the impression by litchfield that the MY 11 dont need any extra care on the transmission.

Okay so then what is the real way of checking the model and year if 11 or 61 plate means nothing
As Adam says, DRLs in the front bumper below the headlights.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Adam answered you 3 posts previously, or the vin

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Like I said as Stock!!! 2010 cars with them are not stock, they are aftermarket DRL's.

The stock ones will be directly attached to the bumper, the aftermarket ones are usually added to the inner bumper, the black area.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
A MY11 will have a different service book because they are serviced every 9k/12 months but a MY10 is 6k/6 months. So could check that.

When I bought mine, the salesman told me several times: Did I understand it was a MY10 on an 11 plate - he really wanted to make sure I knew what I was buying. I suppose they did not want someone buying it and then claiming they thought they'd bought a different model year.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Im looking for a GTR and am about to ask a real stupid question.

errr, Problems ???

My 2008 car has not had any "problems" and is still going strong, you are falling for the sales and marketing crap ol chap !!!

·
Super Moderator
16,093 Posts
I think someone is pulling your legs guys.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Leg pulling aside (it's really wierd why someone would bother, must be bored as fck lol), apart from the DRL's and 3 front bumper grooves each side, the MY11+ has a carbon fibre rear diffuser/undertray with elongated rear fog light, larger exhaust tips, 10 spoke wheels, larger front brake discs, carbon fibre honeycomb front strut brace, red engine cover thingy, to name a few.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Digg,

If I had the budget I would of bought the MY11 opposed to MY09, a number of changes and upgrades were due to issues and recalls relating to Soleniod Caps, Bell Housing and going for MY11 would make you sleep a lot better, however saying that my car has a lot of mods and is far from stock.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Hi Digg,

If I had the budget I would of bought the MY11 opposed to MY09, a number of changes and upgrades were due to issues and recalls relating to Soleniod Caps, Bell Housing and going for MY11 would make you sleep a lot better, however saying that my car has a lot of mods and is far from stock.
Mmmm, don't think that is strictly true as I have not seen a "recall" about any of the above and as I understand it (talking with Iain) the "Bell housing issue is and will still be there on ANY model :bowdown1:

I have had my car for 6 years and only just recently had the Bell housing and circlips done and that's not bbad for 5 / years of proper GTR driving !!! :runaway:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi,

Interesting, as I believe in Japan and US they recalled cars for the gearbox issues, that's according to Litchfield, and hence they advised me fitting the clips this week. Nevertheless I'm assuming there are developments since MY09 to MY11. I managed to get the Bell housing replaced via Warranty, installed by the NISSAN Dealer, but believe Litchfield provide a more reliable and robust one.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Yes, GO TO IAIN allways !!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts