GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need advice, as to what camshafts to choose from the list below, based on these specifications and expectations. I need to decide fast, and have been hesitant to decide.

Specs:
RB26 (factory bore)
Forged pistons/rods
Port/polished head/springs/pad removed (previously been modified for high lift)
Balanced
Upgraded pump
Esc, Esc, Esc......

Expectation:
600-700 rwhp (silvia S14)
Rev limit around 8000+ rpm
Single turbo (Billet Z from Mr.Turbo)
Street and drag strip
Would like a reasonably broad powerband and idle

Greddy camshafts (what I can get cheap)
Link to the list on the Greddy site Greddy - Founded and Driven by Racers

I was thinking 264/264 or 264/272, there is also a few lift options as well. Thank you

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cams

Thank you, what are the general guidelines of choosing cams for an RB26 engine? I have seen general guidelines, although values are not specified.There are really not that many different cam arrangements! I see guys running 280/280 with the same power and peak rpm as someone running 260/260, confusing?

Please share any information you might?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thank you, what are the general guidelines of choosing cams for an RB26 engine? I have seen general guidelines, although values are not specified.There are really not that many different cam arrangements! I see guys running 280/280 with the same power and peak rpm as someone running 260/260, confusing?

Please share any information you might?
correct...its all about airflow at any given rpm...the cams really need to be matched to the characteristics of the head...oversize valves, port job, quench removed...all these things tell me something in The 11mm+ lift dept. and around the 280 mark will see good power everywhere.

go the biggest lift you can around 280's and the turbo will actually come on earlier...we back to backed 260 9.15 with 280 11.35's on an engine using HKS GT-RS turbo's and picked up 1000rpm of response and made another 50KW at the wheels.

·
Registered
820 Posts
correct...its all about airflow at any given rpm...the cams really need to be matched to the characteristics of the head...oversize valves, port job, quench removed...all these things tell me something in The 11mm+ lift dept. and around the 280 mark will see good power everywhere.

go the biggest lift you can around 280's and the turbo will actually come on earlier...we back to backed 260 9.15 with 280 11.35's on an engine using HKS GT-RS turbo's and picked up 1000rpm of response and made another 50KW at the wheels.
If you dont mind me asking, was that engine with the gtrs turbos an rb30? When did it come on boost and how much power did it make?

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, was that engine with the gtrs turbos an rb30? When did it come on boost and how much power did it make?
std stroke RB26...made 504AWKW (under competition conditions at Sydney Autosalon) and made peak torque at around 4500rpm and held on all the way to redline (9500rpm)...yes a very flat fat torque curve. It ran 9.95 down the quarter with 1474kg - driver using an OS Giken gearbox using only 3 gears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts