GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked a million times before but -

I currently have a Trust intercooler fitted to my car its quite a bit taller than the standard one and a little bit thicker.

Would this flow efficiently enough for 700-800bhp and keep the air cool enough? Or would it be worth getting one of the 120mm thick one?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My current cooler is 600x300x70. Would it be worth fitting a 600x295x120 cooler or would the one i have be fine?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My current cooler is 600x300x70. Would it be worth fitting a 600x295x120 cooler or would the one i have be fine?
Personally I like the tube and fin FMIC's over the Bar and Plate. They are lighter and I have found that you can go with the cheaper thinner 100 mm and that keeps your volume down. Volume is a real LAG inducer. You know if you added Meth injection right after the FMIC, that would offset the minimal reduction in cooling from the smaller intercooler.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Personally I like the tube and fin FMIC's over the Bar and Plate. They are lighter and I have found that you can go with the cheaper thinner 100 mm and that keeps your volume down. Volume is a real LAG inducer. You know if you added Meth injection right after the FMIC, that would offset the minimal reduction in cooling from the smaller intercooler.
I don't really want to get caught up with methanol injection and things like that just yet but could be an option for the future.

I managed to get one brand new for £99 off ebay so i will just fit it. I am running a single turbo so am expecting lag anyway and it seems a lot of guys running similar and the same turbos are using the same intercooler.

I have'nt even driven the car yet with the single turbo fitted so i guess what i dont know wont hurt me in regards to knowing if the Trust cooler would have been the better option!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Bar and Plate is much more efficient than tube and fin design. As for lag, once the system is full then it shouldnt really affect you. I successfully used one of the big bar and plate intercoolers on both my 2 litre evos and my R33 GTR with no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts