GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys/Ladies
I have 1994model of Nissan Skyline R32 GTR

and I have been wondering which is better for road use and trackday use to have twinturbo kit og single turbo.(trackdays arent that often)
I think I will be running around 500-600bhp next summer so I was just thinking about which would be better to buy...single turbo kit og twinturbo kit

Im also buying other stuff to do this but I was just wondering about the turbo kit which would be better..

I hope you can understand what I mean
because english is my second language

Cheers.
Teitur (Dohc)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
For me, up to about 550bhp I will stick with the Twin GT-SS. 600bhp will be 2530, but once you get there, you need to start worrying about turbo shuffle for twin setup without a balance pipe manifold.

I went the single route because for day to day street, I won't really need the turbo on (town driving 30mph), and if I am on the motorway, then single is much more fun. I am looking at 650bhp on my car.

Best road car for day to day drive seems to be the GT-SS over and over again. :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
It's up to you, and your preference. Check out the search button.

However, only go single if you buy a complete kit, including manifold, wastegates, downpipe, etc. With this in mind, a single turns out to be an expensive way to get to 550-600bhp.
Therefore, I would go twins - direct bolt on jobbies like GT-SS.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Simple answer

Twin for street and fast road

Single for drag racing or launches at lights.

Reason.

Twin will give you a nice power pull from pulling away in all gears

Single will lag and then release all the power in one big go, Hence four wheels spinning the car everywhere.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
bazgtr said:
Simple answer

Twin for street and fast road

Single for drag racing or launches at lights.

Reason.

Twin will give you a nice power pull from pulling away in all gears

Single will lag and then release all the power in one big go, Hence four wheels spinning the car everywhere.
Rubbish.

Phil

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you think I should just stick to the twinturbo?
I just wanted to ask you guys because you have more expreience than me.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quit slaggin' my t88 !!!!!!:p
The single vs. twin question has been done to death. A 2530 equiped car can be a great track car, as can a TO4Z equiped car. Aim for a particular hp (ie 550-600) and find a turbo, or turbos suitable for the application.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I think for the guy who started the thread his best option sounds like a good twin upgrade.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think for the guy who started the thread his best option sounds like a good twin upgrade.
Exactly , 2530 , GT-SS's or similar , but get matching elbow's at the same time.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Ditto what Jay said. Get your self a nice set of shines twins. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exellent..I will do that :D

thanks for your advices:)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im going to get myself a nice set of shines twins :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a set of 2540's on mine and find them a bit to laggy, just in the same boat as you dohc, should i go for a nice single like a TO4Z or maybe down grade the twins to 2530's. Anyone wanna buy some some 2540's with about 2000 miles on em?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i have me a big single Greddy T78, quite a bit laggy but when the boost kicks in you know about it, lol

·
Registered
465 Posts
Don't forget to port match the exhaust manifold. Doesn't cost much for the improvement in HP.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
GeorgeGTR
I have a set of 2540's on mine and find them a bit to laggy, just in the same boat as you dohc, should i go for a nice single like a TO4Z or maybe down grade the twins to 2530's. Anyone wanna buy some some 2540's with about 2000 miles on em?

Put em on a RB30 bottom end, problem gone :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Simple really, if you want lots of airflow at low boost levels, say for a fairly large capacity engine, then multiple small(ish) turbos are the obvious choice.

Why ? well you can instantly double airflow with twins, and still use two relatively small turbos. That would give you much crisper response than using a single monster turbo at low boost.

But if you had a small capacity engine running extremely high boost pressure, a large single would be much more appropriate.

Why, becauise flow maps generally lean to the right, within reason any turbo will produce higher flow numbers at higher boost levels.

An RB26 is firmly in the middle ground between what you might refer to as small and large capacity engine, but generally up to 500-600Hp, twins are generally used by most people.

But if you wanted 500Hp from a two litre engine, a single would be best.
If you wanted 500Hp from a V8, at low boost, twins would be the obvious choice.

Both engines would have identical airflow requirement, but the four cylinder engine would need to run much higher boost to reach 500Hp. The V8 might be in a boat, and it may be desirable to reach that power at fairly low Rpm, but boost would still be relatively low to reach 500Hp.

Same target power and same total airflow in both examples, but totally different applications, and totally different turbo requirements.

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Flow is proportional to radius^3, inertia is proportional to radius^2. This tends to mean that single turbos have less lag for a given flow capacity, but there are 'plumbing' considerations in the case of V-engines. 6 exhaust pulses per turbo per cycle are better than 3. The more regular the pulses, the better for lag and boost threshold.

However, twins offer a smoother deliver for a road car.

Given that you're aiming at 500-600bhp, I'd stick with twins. The pipework is already in place, so no need to bother with new manifolds and downpipe. New turbos, bigger injectors (ideally 550+cc for 500bhp or 660+cc for 600bhp), a new fuel pump for 600bhp (I think), ECU upgrade, boost controller and upgraded AFMs. May have missed something there. Better spark plugs and individual coil packs are ideal too.

As regards turbos take your pick:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbroom/Turbos.htm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts