GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this post...

sky 1t said:
I don't know how old you guys are but didn't you learn from previous cars you have owned & then modified with thousands of pounds of hard erned cash
& countless trips back & forth to the garage by taxi, but only to find in the end that you sold it for half the price you paid for it in the first place!!!

Surely the GTR isn't the first car you have bought & modified?

I think as you get older like me you learn to accept that no matter how fast your car is there is always someone with a faster one.

That's why I choose not to modify my car's performance, but more on the way it looks

"The faster it goes the faster it breaks down" Therefore "The more you hate the thing"

There's only 2 winners in the above: The Taxi Man & The Garage owner
has totally changed my perspective

on my last car, the more i modded it, the less i liked it.

but i never saw it until this post.

subsequently i think i am going to focus on handling, stopping and driving skills. spend my money on track days and ring trips.

the car barely gets driven once a week, so it still feels rapid, and theres not room on the roads to fully experiance it at its best.

so i think i might sell my 1.2bar bits, and make my car a bit prettier and focus on enjoying it for what it is, rather than what i think it should be.

so, thanks Skyit, your perspective has really struck a cord.

mook

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sensible advise, once mine has settled at about 450 - 500hp I will not go any further and will leave the engine alone.

Already the power has exceeded my driving capabilities on the road and I have no intention of taking it on a drag run.

Its so easy to get involved in chasing the big numbers but do you really need 600hp plus on a road car or is it all about bragging rights?

The R32 was designed for appx 500HP without serious modification and that is where I will stop.

We should remember that a standard untouched GTR is still a very fast well balanced powerfull car and is more than your average driver can take to its limits without having any further modifications to increase its performance.

I have to tell myself, dont be silly, do you really need that? Are those cams/ metal head gasket/ bigger turbos/sump baffle/700 injectors etc. required to drive to the gym in winter? Will it make the grin any bigger than it always is or will it mean that the car is off the road for another 6 months while you save up for a rebuild?

Lets get a grip and be sensible, for those out there who have a standard car and are happy with it I salute you..

ps.

The GTR is booked in at Weston Performance early January...... Oh dear its addictive... must be strong........

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Fair enough advice....But each to their own and all that !

In my personal opinion the 415-420bhp @ Fly, I have now isnt as fast as I want ! I'm not talking about the figures, they dont mean much to me, it's how it accelerates I'm interested in so I guess I should concentrate on trying to up my torque.

Having lost thousands and thousands on previous modified cars I'm certainly not ignorant to the fact that I'll lose money doing extra things to my car but I love it, it gives me great enjoyment so why not....I'm not putting things on credit cards or getting a bank loan to fund it.

Yeah 400-500BHP probably does exceed mine and most peoples driving abilities on the roads. Having come from FWD turbo'd hat hatches I treat my car with respect as I know it'll bite me on the a$$ if I try and rag that [email protected] out of it...say round a wet roundabout !

I personally dont want to enter into the rebuilds, single turbos, seq gearbox levels of tuning because plain and simple I just couldnt afford it but I respect anyone whos wanted and been able to do that....ps: I'm still waiting for a ride in a huge single turbo monster anyone ? ;)

I dont rag my car, but I enjoy a quick blat on those late night, empty (private of course officer!) motorways. I'd also like to start doing some track days and this advanced driving day thing Hodgie was chatting to me about at the xmas party.

I think it's important to look at your suspension & braking too ! Hence why I'm looking at big brake kits at the moment cause even with slightly uprated disc & pads, it doesnt stop well enough for my liking.

End of the day....You pays yor money, you makes your choices....good luck to ya's :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
i agree that there will always be some1 quicker but at over 420bhp and stage 1 theres not any quicker cars on the road really and you would hav to race them to find out which never really happens on public roads.its the nature of the car that causes big bills.each to there own.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
600bhp is a good place for a Skyline to be. I think, with time, effort, and money, a reasonably reliable build can be done with this power level. After all, Kiesa built his 800bhp R34 with reliability as a factor - did the engine last the projected 50,000km? (or was it 80K?)

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
600bhp is a good place for a Skyline to be. I think, with time, effort, and money, a reasonably reliable build can be done with this power level. After all, Kiesa built his 800bhp R34 with reliability as a factor - did the engine last the projected 50,000km? (or was it 80K?)

but to be fair, Mr Kiesa has a bob or two ;)

i don't

lol

mook

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Normaly i would say yes,Skyit is right,but on the other side,i know Porsche GT3 owners,that have driven their cars for 5000km one year and lost over 35000€,and the car did not have one stonechip,like new,but nobody wants it. So i think it is the same as everytime,if you buy something expensive,you will loose some money,if you modify it,you will even loose more,but the fun gets bigger,and thats the reason we do it.

I drive my Evo 6 since 75000km,in 3 years,the first year i did 35000km,with only a few mods and around 380PS,the second year around 25000km with more mods and 500PS,since it is around 600 Horses i did the rest,but this doesn´t mean i had less fun in it:chuckle: It broke down more and more when i modified it,but that is normal,you know that befor,that it may break,and now it runs without a problem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i look at it as more of an expensive hobby more than anything, i have a crappy punto for day to day stuff, and yes the skyline is off the road awaiting a re build lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you are afraid of your car breaking down, then you shouldn'd mod it ;)
when something breaks down, it's just a good reason to replace it with something better, and if you want a car that doesn't break down, then but a toyota starlet or a suzuki alto :p
I'm not letting reliability scare me away, thats the price I am willing to pay for speed..
It is a passion not an investment ;)

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
depending on the solution i find to my fuelling issue, power fc, commander and 550 nismo injectors

but not just yet

mook

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
I like your thinking Mookistar, but don't go to Spa. It is so open, wide and long (4.3 miles) it will make your car seem slow. I was happy with 420ish until I went there.

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just the ring for me. i don't like fast corners. lol

provisional dates came out today, looking at 31st august to 10th sept

cannot wait!!!!

:squintdan

mook

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
Provisional is the word mate. You won't get a sensible idea of the itinery until February. It normally surfaces on Ben Lovejoy's site as soon as it is out.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
hmm...interesting.

i havent had much experience with modding yet, but i think it also depends what you invest it in.

example:

you're 18, you buy a nice and sensible honda civic EG 1.6, with the D16z6 in there. you do some basic stuff on the engine. exhaust, basic breathing, exhaust manifold. the rest of the money is you spend on TEIN lowering springs, carbon front lip, SIR rearwing and some 15'' rota's.

on the way to your usual trackday, there is another guy standing there in his modified car. at green, both of you go for it, but about 500 yards out he has 2 carlengths on you.

then at the track, you see the same guy with the same car. both of you go far a race round the track, but his laptimes are way better than you.

as soon as your at home, you take your credit card and buy the following:

tein coilover suspension
aftermarket cam
lightnend flywheel
better brake pads
bigger throttle body.

so far, you spend £1500 on your car, excluding the car.

the next day you get your delivery in, and for the rest of the week after work you spend all night finishing your car.

you meet the same guy again, but he's been modifying also and he still pulls 2 car lenghs on you.

laptimes of you are getting closer, but your missing out on the straights and out of the corners.

again you pull out your credit card, and hey, you just got payed too!

you buy the following today:

B16 engine from a car being broken.
LSD
HKS cams
high compression pistons

BAM! thats a lot of cash you spend there....total bill excluding car now is 2.5 grand.

better sell the D16 then...wow £100.

this continues, and after a while you spend well over £7500, on a car you bought for £800.

at 19, you turbo the car, and the total ads up to 10k!

your 21 now, and decide you can get a better car.

an R32 GTR, thats nice. the example you've seen is an import, but has 350 hp, and is track ready. the asking price is 8500.

you've got about 5k in the bank, but you figure out that if you sell your civic, then you must have got enough for the GTR

when you go and sell your car, your disappointed as the highest bid was 2000. thats a huge loss but you sure had some fun modifying it. was it worth it? yes.

then you start thinking:

'what if i spend my 10k on that GTR? that would have been hella machine!

i dont even know what im on about im bored....

sorry..:D

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
it's the usual circle of car ownership:

buy a car, modifiy it, then eventually sell for less money than you put into it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
great advice!

i wanna be in sky1t's gang!
LOL Mate, My Gang!

Come to think about it some people have said that I have a bit of a cult following:confused: Probably more to do with the last parragrph below though:chuckle:

I'm taking my staff/gang out on the 17th Dec to a Go-Karting Mini Prix - £35.00 Per Driver
6 to 8 drivers racing over 15 lap qualifying, 15 lap semi-final, 20 lap final with a trophy awarded to the winner!
We're going to this place:
Avago Karting - Homepage

Getting some practice in ready for the Summer in The New Back Garden :squintdan

It's a sort of Staff Doo, the real Staff Doo is on 19th Dec. which is likely to end up in a place that sounds like a type of chewing gum with a African four legged animal!:chuckle:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts