GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the story. I was driving back to my house and I found that my lights were dimming and it was becoming hard for me to steer when I turned. I drove into the Wal-mart parking lot and turned the car off, I then wasn't able to turn my car back on. I got a jump start to get back to my house but was only able to make it down the street from my house. I then got a jump to get the rest of the way. I was told to just refill the water in the battery with distilled water and then charge the battery to get the electrolytes moving but the battery I have doesn't have any place for me to fill up the water. I am wondering if it is the alternator that went out. If so, I need to go to the nearest parts store and ask for a new one but since I am in the US, they don't carry many parts for my car. Is there any cross reference parts that work just the same?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'd definitely try a new battery before going in for an alternator job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to try and switch my moms battery with mine to test it out, but how would I know if it was the alternator

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Sounds like the alternator to me. This happened when i had my MR2.
Driving along and the lights start dimming, then you stop.
Why dont you contact one of the garages on here im sure they can send you one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of doing that but I think the shipping would take too long, I have had some trouble with the shipping from the UK to US, took a few weeks..I could possibly find a alternator rebuild shop around here..hopefully. I am going to try the replacement battery first though

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
My money is on the alternator but I would also check the crank pulley isn't starting to separate given the steering problems.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I just changed the battery in the R33 gtst I just imported. it was acting same as in the story you told us.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, this happen to me when i first got my skyline, it turned out to be my alternator, but just like you, i live in the Bahamas and i knew that i could find an alternator, so i took it out and got it rebuilt for about $75.00, works fine now

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only problem about going to an alternator shop is that, I just checked today to see if there was one in my area..No luck with that. I might need to buy a new one or see if there is a cross reference part

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Alternators don't last forever and it may be that yours has just come to the end of its life. Also, if you run high power and a lot of revs the alternator is working that much harder than a standard road car so that will shorten the life also. If you do need to change it there are some after market ones that will cost a bit more but may be better in the long run, or just get yours reconditioned. Good luck with the outcome :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup....it was the alternator. I am going to get it replaced or fixed in the next few days..Anyone know of any other alternators that are the same or equivalent to the skyline alternator?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I had exactly the same problem, you'd be driving along and the lights would dim, try putting on main beam and the car would cut out, volts were dropping to about 10, steering was heavy, HICAS light kept coming on etc.

Turned out my alternator belt was so old and brittle it had gone shiney and was constantly slipping, fitted a new alternator belt and haven't had a problem since.

Alex B

Edit: Didn't read the last post, sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts