GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having gone through a couple small hiccups with my engine lately, I've been thinking of what essentials would be prudent to carry in the boot, in terms of on-the-shoulder repairs and common failures.

Having blown three fuel lines in as many weeks, I carry two spares even though I'd sorted the problem out (wrong hoses and high fuel pressure), complete with clamps. I'm going to add an ignition amp to that list as I've had mine go a bit mental a couple times (pulling it out and then sticking it in a fridge always seems to do the trick).

screwdrivers, allen wrenches, a can of fix-a-flat (although for some reason flat tires are rare in Korea - I used to get flats twice a year in the States, I haven't had a single one in five years in Seoul)...anything else?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Fuel leaks....

Fire extinguisher.

You need some tools for the intercooler pipes. Wether it be 7mm- 8mm nuts. In a motor thats been in and out a few times. Might even find a 1/4 in there somewhere.

Most stuff is hard to fix on the side of the road.

I normally carry a lot of stuff with me, but I can fix ANYTHING:chuckle: :chuckle: on the side of the road.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Ive been down this road before with some of my other cars. By the time you've filled the boot with all the 'essentials' you end up with a mobile garage and zero boot space as well as a car that weighs 2 tons LOL.
I think its prudent to carry a few spanners,one of each bulb,some fuses and a torch. You could debate for ever about what else you need.

TT

·
Registered
193 Posts
Petrol,as they drink it.
Yeah, stick a spare fuel tank in the boot!
If it fails and drinks that to I reccommend a 9mm with a single shell......

All I got is spanners, bulbs, torch and an extinguisher.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Roadside recovery membership:chuckle: +

brake cleaner spray and/or spare afm.
set of plugs for flooded engine.
decent torch
necessary tools to change plugs, remove bumper (to tighten intercooler piping).
Extendable wheel wrench to remove difficult nuts.
fuses & bulbs.

Though really i'm very much a lightweight fairweather monkey, so if its cold, wet & dark, i'll find a pub & call recovery.

·
Administrator
31,606 Posts
always carry a tool kit with me... if only to look like i know what i'm doing

lol

mook

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
trolley jack is a good start! strong arm lever for tight wheel nuts!......and a can of tree repellant!(in my case):mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Fuel leaks....

Fire extinguisher.

You need some tools for the intercooler pipes. Wether it be 7mm- 8mm nuts. In a motor thats been in and out a few times. Might even find a 1/4 in there somewhere.

Most stuff is hard to fix on the side of the road.

I normally carry a lot of stuff with me, but I can fix ANYTHING:chuckle: :chuckle: on the side of the road.
:bawling: Knocking big ends.... lol :D :D

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Boot?

Has a weatherproof jacket and a current road atlas.

Wallet has priority vehicle recovery membership with aaaaaaaaaaaaaalllll the options taken.

Works every time. Last time was when the radiator corroded unto exploding at 20:00 on a Thursday evening outside a friend's house. After a convivial evening playing cards while getting advice from Mark online, had a coffee while calling the recovery, who secured the vehicle overnight at a lockup facility, took me home, delivered the car to Abbey at 09:30 on the Friday, and I collected the car with new radiator from Abbey on Friday evening.

Terribly hard work....:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
just a dvd player so i can wait for the truck

hate working on cars by the side of ther road anyway

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Only things I carry are 2 blocks of wood, as I can't jack the car up with the nonstandard sideskirts and front bumper when the wheels are on the road, a few tools, tywraps and a Leatherman:)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you think about the money it'll cost you to buy all that stuff to keep in the car and then the extra cost in weight/fuel to carry it around, I'd suggest carry a couple of hundred quid in your wallet.........light weight, will get you and your car home........problem solved :)

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Shotgun, Crowbar, Water Purification kit, Mars Bars, Five Thousand US Dollars, Morphine, Rage Against The Machine CD, Signalling Mirror, Condoms, Lifejacket, PRC Radio and a good lawyer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts