GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I`m 25 next June and so far I haven`t got round to taking all those lessons and stuff or getting a car and all that. I take it most people here must have started at 17 as soon as you could.

The thing is I love Skylines and I was thinking would it be totally silly to think about getting one as a first car? :D

I know it sounds very mad but I don`t want to start with a Fiesta and work my way up. I wasn`t thinking R34 ( although I like them the most and could afford one ) but I would never get insured.

I`m doubting I would have a hard time getting insured on most of the Skyline seris but I would like to look into it a little and see.

So am I totally insane wanting to do this? the most I would think about would be a GTS or maybe a R32?

Dont just laugh at me though!

-Paul

·
Registered
48 Posts
re first car

You maybe able to insure a 200 sx but even a gts-t is group 20 and with no no-claims bonus could be pretty difficult finding an insurer.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Good Luck

I think that it will be Mr Insurer in the way I am afraid. My R32 GTR is over 350 bhp and is £1250 to insure and I am 35 with full no claims and 13 years driving experience.
I will get my mate chriscoulton to reply as the only cars he has owned after passing his test is a cinquecento sporting (he will not thank me for saying that!) and a GTir. He is 21 and the GTir is 220bhp which is more than enough (ignore these big power skylines!). His insurance is more than mine though but at least they insure him. I did struggle for more than a few quotes nationwide on my skyline (imported sir, modified from standard...no sir)
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was thinking insurance might just get in the way :( I have thought about a 200SX cos they look the part and are relativly cheap but I still think I`ll struggle with these insurance people.

Failing that I could see about an MX5.. but I`m no hairdresser! thats the only problem with them. I`ll have to see about a Skyline in about 10 years by the sound of it. Thanks for the replies so far.

-Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what you talking about taking the piss? I wasn`t taking the piss from anything. If you mean the MX5 thing I wouldn`t mind one even though they are considered a "womans car" by many.

If you would like to explain yourself instead of ranting something.

-Paul

·
Registered
547 Posts
First Car

I wouldn't recommend a Skyline as a first car ... it's a really quick car and just after passing the test, people are at their most dangerous and likely to have an accident .. and claim on that very expensive insurance.

I'd go for something very mundane for about a year to get the hang of it all, develop some roadcraft and the 2nd sense and then get a better car.

My wife got a Jeep Wrangler as a starter.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I will have to start from the bottom I guess. I would still like to look out for something stylish although I`m not sure what would be the best for starters. Maybe if I could find a nice 200SX that would be good.

-Paul

·
Registered
404 Posts
First car

My wife’s first car is/was a Lotus Elise, expensive to insure, but cheep to run, and great fun to drive. :D

You can learn a lot from a sports car with no power steering, no power breaks, and no ABS.:)

You might just want to go to an insurance agent, with a list of preferred cars, see what you can afford, and go look for a nice example. :confused:

Regards Paul.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,561 Posts

My cousin has recently been asking me about first cars. Hes seen me and my brother over the years with our twin turbo imports and fancied a bit himself.

Now hes been driving for 5 years but has never owned or insured a car. His licence is clean and he too has a thing about GT-R. He eventually bought a Toyota GT4 on my recomendation and loves it.

The insurance on the GT4 is 2200, RX7 was 2800 and the GT-R.................3400. :( :(

Just wondering though, if you say you can afford an R34 (40 grand+), why is the insurance of 3-4 grand be such a problem? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well yeah, I have seen import R34s for about £30k I`m sure, and yeah I could afford one, but I probably wouldn`t go for something so expensive, I would have the problem of running it and yeah insurance would be insane to think of.. I save money quite well, thats why I could afford one but I`m not willing to buy something that much. I was really thinking of something like a GTS or a stock R32 at the most. I really didn`t think that a GTS would be that much but it appears it is. I could maybe splash out on a Silvia S14 instead. Are they any good does anyone know? or is everyone GTR only?

-Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Dave, I see where I should be now, right at the bottom with the "small cars" I shouldn`t really be up there with you petrol heads until I have a few years experience. I do like my Nissan`s though, so maybe I`ll go for the Mirca, they do a Nismo Micra don`t they? :D

I did a search on autotrader.co.uk and found a R34GT for £15k, now its not a GTR but it looks the part, and you can pick up a R32 for about £3k with high mileage. I don`t know, I`ll just dream for a while hang on to get one of the big ones. I thought about an Audi Coupe but you say they are boring to drive eh?

Thanks
-Paul

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
boring?

I prefer the suzuki swift I use for work. 40 - 50 mpg (if not thrashed) and go cart handling. The audi gt was 'comfortable' but sounded nice - do not confuse it with a quattro though.
3k for a R32. Don't forget the engine rebuild will cost 2 - 3 k and the gearbox rebuild 2 - 3 k as well. High mileage and needing repairs may not be cheaper in the long run. Plus mine was 8.5 k and was a track car so it comes with things like a 1k hks intercooler, ohlins suspension etc. which I am glad I do not have to buy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I wouldn`t possibly want to buy a 3k import :) don`t worry. Maybe you didn`t say the audi was boring.. I thought it said that on the other thread. Audi S Coupe is the one I was thinking, not sure which the Quattro is.

Cheers
-Paul

·
Registered
710 Posts
This is what I'd do...

If I was you I'd get a cheap E30 325i and insure for TPF&T. That way you'll have a fairly quick car, which is relatively cheap to insure and you'll learn all about car control as it's RWD. Also you'll enjoy the benefit of cheap parts and servicing.

S14 Silvia's are still fairly expensive to insure (although they are very nice cars). If you want to go down this route then you'll need an imported one if you intend to modify it for big power.

Talat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I`m not sure that I would be into making a supercar to be honest, just some nice wheels would be all for a while anyway, as I get more confident then I would maybe try out a little power
:) thanks for the advice though.

-Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think a skyline (any) is over powered for your first car. It takes a while to be able to drive quickly and safely with this kind of performance. I'd suggest a 200SX but even in standard form they are a quickish car and can be a handful in the wet. Don't under estimate how easy it could be to have a colossal accident in a quick car, you'll be travelling at such a speed that it will not be pretty! Really I think a hot hatch is the best place to start as you can teach yourself a lot and with more safety margins built into a front drive chassis. Ofcourse if I'd just passed my test and could afford one I'd probably buy a skyline too!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers kristian

I`m willing to listen to any advise from people in here as all of you are obviously experienced drivers with knowledge of the power. I`ll take it easy then and get used to something mundane for a while.

It is annoying being able to afford stuff and wanting to jump the queue, I guess I`ll learn to wait.

Thanks
-Paul

1 - 20 of 39 Posts