GTR Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
First car

Paul,

Fast cars are very tempting but as Joss says, you really need to learn how to handle an 'ordinary' car before you take the plunge. You can still kill yourself in an ordinary car it just takes more effort. Be sensible for a year.

As far as the 200Sx goes, its a nice car with a nasty tail in the wet and an insurance group of 16/17 (approx £700). The GTS-t is classed in the same group as the GTR and will cost you approx £1100 with full no-claims.

My advice, start small, enjoy and move on.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Car Control

I'd also recomend some Advanced Driving Lesson (if you pass will lower your insurance) and some car control instruction with someone like Don Palmer.

The biggest danger I find if someone inexperienced takes the wheel of a fast car (especially the Skyline) is that you will think your doing 60/70mph when in reality your pushing 100mph. This then translates to misenterpriting braking distances which leads to high entry speed's, which leads to panick lift off = spin = Problem!

I've seen experienced drivers spin Skylines on the road as they are so capable people just keep pushing, they are still a car and as such can be put off balance. Also if you buy a Skyline learn about the throttle and how it control's the 4wd. This will save you alot of learning time.

Jamie.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
What do you want?

Paul (Animator Dude),

I think you really need to decide what it is you want. The Skyline GTR is a very high performance car that also has great handling capabilities. As an ex-girlfriend of mine said "It looks lik an Orion with a handle on the back" - Hence "EX-girlfriend".

To put that in the same bracket as an 'all show - little go' hairdressres car really doesn't make sense. YOU NEED TO DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT.

If you are going to buy cheep then you need to budget the following;
£3000 for insurance (possibly more)
£500 new set of tyres in the first year
£500 for servicing (provided not much goes wrong)

If the idea of buying one is going to stretch your budget in the first place I would stick to something else.

Also, this is not a car to be trifled with. Perhaps you'd better start with something a little easier to control.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
cheers guys, I am understanding that it takes a lot more than a little bit of money to delve into the Performance car market. The thing is Fuggles, as you have seen I like a few different cars. I`m not a petrol head or into tuning really. I just don`t want to start at the bottom. I guess thats the only way to start. I`ll have to do some serious thinking in the next year or so because if I make the move I want to do ( to Australia ) then I`ll seriously need driving experience as no one walks over there. I`ll re-examine my options I think. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I`ll go play with my toys and let the big boys talk

:)

Thanks!
-Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
200sx

I have got a 1997 S14a 200sx and love it to bits. It is grouop 17 insurance so is still going to cost you a lot.

Bought the car when I was 24 and got quotes from 4K to 15K with no NCB, no claims, no convictions, no points and have had my license since I was 17. Ended up going with Bell Direct for £1500 FC, with my girlfriend on the insurance as an occasion driver, brought the premium down by £400!

I am now 25 and thanks for an uninsured driver rearending me, my insurance is £1500. A first time driver, allbeit 25 on a Skyline, well wouldn't like to quote you on that one.

I love skylines too, but am SO glad that I have driven "normal" cars first and also the 200 since it can be a real handful. This is how you properly learn to drive. Just concerned that Skylines have got R33 and R34 have got 4Wheel everything and apparently are hand to lose control of (I haven't driven one but am going on reviews etc and an ex-neighbour of mine owned a 500bhp R33, so could be talking out of my ar5e). Say you drive this as your first car and then sell it, and buy a Tuscan for example. Without driving a normal car, you will crash it. Not disputing your driving so don't get defensive.

Well, thats my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Generic Skyline

John,

You're falling into the trap of GTR generic. GTRs are 4WD as are some GTS-T it would seem. As I keep being told, the GTS is still a Skyline but you'll find that most of the GTS-Ts that have been imported into this country are rear wheel drive only, they still have the HICAS 4 wheel steer system.

Paul,

Be carfull when you post to this site. The guys here are very firendly and very helpful but you've got to understand that we all lead pretty busy lives so we don't really want people wasting our time (you'll have to forgive me but the wife is on nights so i've got free reign tonight:D :eek: ).

Personally I'd recommend a front wheel drive with enough power to thrill, followed by a rear wheel drive (e.g., 200Sx), then onto the 4WD beasts, try a subaru and then possibly a Skyline:D :D

Whatever you choose, enjoy it :smokin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry if I wasted anyones time then, I guess I should have phrased the opening question differently but I got a good set of answers in the end. As I don`t have a car or indeed a Skyline I`ll obviously not be involved in many discussions so I have probably had my say already. thanks people for the comments and advice.

-paul

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sorry mate

Paul,

Sorry mate, didn't mean to offend you. Had too many beers last night;) . You're thread has provoked many replies, so people were interested:)

Have a good weekend...and get a car. Then the fun starts:D :D

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
be careful?

.......and to add to stu's comments, I think it is nice that members are taking the time to advise to be careful. After 13 years of driving and riding, crashing, test riding things like zzr1100's (pulls your wrists out of their sockets on acceleration), I thought that I would be used to going fast. I have had my skyline 4 months and it still scares me at times and I still give it respect (especially in the wet). I can remember someone (in the manta owners club) when I went to a car meeting asking me why own a car that drives itself. Nothing could be further from the truth and he was a sad twat.
Take it easy Paul, Rome was not built in a day, and if it was, it probably would have fallen down.
Dave

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
fast bike

Sorry to change direction of your thread paul but.....
I know that it is not as fast as an R1 but...
did the zzr1100 not have a top speed of 180 mph.
If that is not fast...what is fast to you.
My skyline will not do that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I agree dave, the advice on here has been great. I`ll have to carefully consider what I do from now on. Without sound advice I might have gone and bought something that would have caused me a lot of trouble in the end. Now I have to work out whats the best thing for starting. I`m not getting a fiesta!!! :D
Cheers
-Paul

·
Banned
349 Posts
Skylines drive themselves...........

I can't stand it when people say to me, "YOU WHERE ONLY FAST BECAUSE YOUR CAR DOES IT ALL FOR YOU"

These Pratts have no idea whatsoever about cars, balance, handling or Skylines. My mate has a 355 and is basicly a bad lead footed driver (no David I'm not refering to you!). Every time he says "well I'd be quicker if my car sorted out my slides for me."

All Member's should club together to irradicate these people from our world!

For the record the techniquie required to drive a skyline on the limit is the opposite of conventional cars which actually makes it harder to get a rewarding hot lap together. I know I've had 3 Skyines and more track days than I can remember. This is the reason why road tester sometimes report crap about Skylines as they have the car for 1200 miles and try and drive it like a conventioal rear wheel drive, not understanding that the 4wd is essentially controlled by the throttle.

Anyway, Clarkson see's sense which is why he owns a Bayside 34.

So for all you tyre kickers out there, I'd like to see you floor the throtte when youv'e got a quarter opposite lock on. Not really the most natural thing to do is it!

Rid the world of the Max Power brigade!

Jamie.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Opps

Sorry Dave I did not mean to upset you only I am a Suzuki man at heart and I could resist when I saw ZZR posted. :(
Yes the bike was very quick but I believe it was a little on the heavy side for handling etc.
Anyway it does not matter what people, say its how the rider/driver puts the machines power on the tarmac.
Best regards Alan

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
It's ok

Don't worry, Iwas not bothered, I only test rode it.
I owned by the way Honda CB900f, suzuki x7, Kwak kr1, yamaha rd400 with tuned 350 lc engine so I don't go for makes.
Anyway, back to 1st car.......

·
Registered
327 Posts
you have more bikes than me!

Well I think you do!

I would like to add that the Skyline is the next best thing to a fast bike for shere Speed!

Dave if your Intrested I have a Few bikes Oldest first
RD 400 F Stan Steves Tuned (does not see the light of day much)
Z1000 A 2 ( tail end of a rebuild Showrooms only)
Hand full of Bits that make Z1000 mk2 & ST
GPZ1100 ZX 1983 Air cooled 148 BHP (does not go around cournes very well, but I seam to out run most riders)
DR750 DR Big (just for fun, wife rides most of the time)
1200 Bandit (front wheel in the air at tripple figures fun)

Now I know the are a lot faster bikes but not many ride them very well!

So which bike would you say is the Skyline of the bike world?

Bruce

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
bikes again

Sorry about your thread again paul......
I have owned the bikes one at at a time, not all at once
my lc was beckett tuned.
I cannot think of a skyline bike as it is big, fast AND handles well.
I don't think any bike does all three.
Jamie, I touched on a raw nerve didn't I.
The comment was made about three months ago, just after I bought the car and I have not forgotten it (it made me mad as well as the bloke that said what do you want a skyline for when you have an opel manta [GTE exclusive]..sad!) . I had no reply then but I would have now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
A bike to Recon with!

I have read in this months Ride Mag about a Bike called a Boss Hoss it has a Corvet V8 engine cost 40K and top ends at over 200MPH but not sure if it goes around corners well the Mag said i think it does 0/60 in 1.7seconds if your lungs dont claps!!

do you recon we should put him up against one of the big engine skyline for a run up the track?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hey Dave, don`t worry about the thread of where is going/gone. The only problem is I put it on "mail when you get a reply" and didn`t expect anyone to reply. Ohwell I have bloody work on anyway :( bloody computers!! Urgh

21 - 39 of 39 Posts