GTR Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't know where you got the 15k figure from. 10k is the standard for G&K, they have a monopoly on grey market import for what is effectively welding some different catalytic converters poorly to the downpipe + main cat position and a restrictor on the fuel nozzle so you can't put leaded gas nozzles in there. This is the cost for all 1989 to 1995 RB26 GT-Rs assuming you bring them a stock car without a bunch of problems.
Well, aren't we nit picky today ;) I got that from Sean and an owner of a GTS-T from Big Bear. 10-15K is the range from what I've collected, a lot of folks have to pay 15K because the modifications done usually do not pass and a need to retest which they pay for themselves (It was $1500 before, I believe they raised the price up not too long ago to $2000?). If it were that easy like you state, the importers in California and out of state would have sold imported cars. California is by far the hardest place to legalize the imports, even parts of Europe aren't as bad as California's emission standards.

By the way, I decided to go and take a read of some articles about CARB against the white house since we talked about it and so it seems that indeed, President Trump wants to abolish California's emission laws all together which can benefit you. CARB's a nazi agency controlled by the left. I really hope they dismantle CARB so the left there will cry even more. And to think the state would do something good with the money they get from petrol tax and vehicle fees and fix up our destroyed roads. Just goes to welfare babies while we have to suffer financially.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, aren't we nit picky today ;) I got that from Sean and an owner of a GTS-T from Big Bear. 10-15K is the range from what I've collected, a lot of folks have to pay 15K because the modifications done usually do not pass and a need to retest which they pay for themselves (It was $1500 before, I believe they raised the price up not too long ago to $2000?). If it were that easy like you state, the importers in California and out of state would have sold imported cars. California is by far the hardest place to legalize the imports, even parts of Europe aren't as bad as California's emission standards.

By the way, I decided to go and take a read of some articles about CARB against the white house since we talked about it and so it seems that indeed, President Trump wants to abolish California's emission laws all together which can benefit you. CARB's a nazi agency controlled by the left. I really hope they dismantle CARB so the left there will cry even more. And to think the state would do something good with the money they get from petrol tax and vehicle fees and fix up our destroyed roads. Just goes to welfare babies while we have to suffer financially.
It's surprising that the margins are so slim then. I have discussed the possibility of retrofitting HKS VCAM to these cars to reduce emissions in the FTP testing cycle but the impression I got from Sean was that it would add cost. I think when it comes to CA emissions for these cars every detail is important. Something like a degree of base timing added can completely screw up the emissions of the car.

Media coverage over the CARB/EPA regulatory fight is often uninformed and over the top. I don't like discussing politics but the GOP frankly does not care about people importing Skylines. If you look at the actual rules filed it is taking away CARB's waiver to set their own emissions standards that are more restrictive than federal law: https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emissions-vehicles-and-engines/final-rule-one-national-program-federal-preemption-state

None of that discusses in any way, shape, or form that California is "breaking the law" by mandating direct import vehicles registered in California must have OBD2 if they are 1996 or newer which is a federal law, California actually mandated OBD2 even earlier, phasing in back in 1994. Nor does it mention anything about California's mandate that all vehicles post 1976 must pass smog every 2 years. While it's tempting to suggest that maybe eliminating the waiver will make it easier for the RB26 to pass the emissions test, federal emissions and CA emissions were harmonized at least for tier 1: https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t1.php and https://www.gtrusablog.com/2015/11/first-california-legal-nissan-skyline.html show that the emissions limits are quite permissive compared to what new car manufacturers are dealing with today. So there's no cause for action on the part of the federal government. Keep in mind that other states have similar laws as well, many places require smog every 2 years for a car made after 1968 regardless of age.

I have discussed this issue with multiple people. There is no reason at all to hope that the situation will change. At least with 2A cases there are a number of ways to push back against the legislature through the SCOTUS. Driving a Skyline on public roads (which is what dealing with all of this hoop jumping gets you) is not an enumerated right, nor is operating any motor vehicle on public roads.

California laws suck but there's no magic way around them. Hoping that Trump will somehow force CARB to stop mandating all of this crony capitalist nonsense for grey market import is wishful thinking. As you have already said, the only way out is to move.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Its all well and good copy and pasting links to all manner of Official Government Legislation joshuaho96 quoting Chapter and Verse from yadder, yadder, yadder too

But....

Personally speaking I've already had my R33 waiting in storage for a year now, it's undergoing some maintenance and restoration before being shipped to the US for CA emissions compliance work.
Until you've actually gone through all the processes Yourself and You are driving your Skyline GT-R legally on the road, You don't yet know all of the pitfalls, pros, cons and headaches which may lay in wait? Theory is great and all Kid, Life has its way of throwing spanners into the mix though.

JM2PW!:unsure:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I've got a bit of a real world comparison for ya, both my own cars driven by me
710 hp r33 gtr 30-130 mph 9.76 seconds, my r35 gtr at 840 hp did it in 6.8 seconds, they are both v power maps.
I love them all and am currently seriously contemplating buying an rb26 gtr, but I'm under no illusion that it will compete with my gtr because it won't

For reference with race fuel I have done 30-130 mph in 6.2 seconds with 962 hp, so I can roughly say that my gtr with 710 hp would be doing 30-130 in approx 7.4 seconds

·
Registered
155 Posts
Its all well and good copy and pasting links to all manner of Official Government Legislation joshuaho96 quoting Chapter and Verse from yadder, yadder, yadder too

But....

Until you've actually gone through all the processes Yourself and You are driving your Skyline GT-R legally on the road, You don't yet know all of the pitfalls, pros, cons and headaches which may lay in wait? Theory is great and all Kid, Life has its way of throwing spanners into the mix though.

JM2PW!:unsure:
I’m not sure of the relevance here. I’m saying that there’s no real reason to hope that California emissions compliance gets easier/cheaper.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts