GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
They go for about £20k if they're in good nick. They're 280bhp as is the GTR when standard (well in reality the GTR is more like 320 standard but not on paper), but the Engine's tuning potential is not in the same Ball Park, it's not in the same league, it aint even in the same fuc***g sport. Sorry, Pulp Fiction again :)

Plus it doesn't look as cool, it looks much more tamed, and you dont get all the clever 4wd Hicas and Attessa thingys...go for a mint R33 like teveC's, thats going for £22k i belive, it's 415 bhp, it looks better, and it's a GTR!!!

Seriously, if you thing you might end up wanting more from it then it would be best to sink your money into something that's pretty much finished up depreciting and is more suitable for tuning.

Rob

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think people get a bit carried away slating the R34 Skyline GT-T. Its a bloody great car, I'd rather have it over a BMW M3 anyday (infact I even chose one over an R33 GT-R)...

Considering that most have never ever driven one let alone owned one they are pretty much talking rubbish when they slate it. Drive it then come back and talk. I feel qualified to compare them because I've owned both cars, a R34 Skyline 25GTt and now (since Saturday) a Bayside Blue R34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec.

Lets get the facts out of the way first.

The R34 GT-T is the Sports model aimed as an everyday usable urban luxuary car whereas the R34 GT-R is the Racing Edition aimed at trackdays and balls out performance.

Their specs pretty much follow on from that. If you think of a sports edition of a car vs a Racing edition thats exactally what you get, i.e. a toned down more road tolerable performance car. The GT-T was the flagship of the Skyline Range before the GT-R came along and is very well accomplished car. They are aimed at different market segments really. Its true too because when I drove my dad home in my new Bayside Blue V-Spec R34 GT-R on Saturday he dad complained about how harsh and uncompromising the ride was. The V-Spec follows every bump and undulation in the road and can suffer a bit from tramlining on poor quaility A and B roads. The GT-T on the other hand has a much smoother ride that has much more tolerance and is softer sprung. Actually, I always felt it was a little TOO soft but my dad seems to like it that way. It never feels wallowy with it but when cornering very hard you'd wish you'd fitted lowering springs.

Contrary to what others have said the GT-T does indeed have HICAS 4-Wheel Steering but makes do with RWD ony. It does however have switchabe Traction Control and an Limited Slip Differential so you can have some amazing fun on a trackday. Its a fantastic fun RWD couple that in standard form wouldn't look out of place in the executive car park (toned town styling) but still mean looking. It packs a 24 valve 2.5 litre in-line 6 cylinder engine with NEO Variable Valve technology. Its factory power output is quoted at
280 bhp in standard form and it has a 5 speed box. While it feels rapid it only does 0-60 in around 6.5 sec-ish standard because is pretty restricted from factory. It 'feels' quick but not certainly fast enough to get your heart racing like the GT-R does from factory. - basically the engine it sounds wisper quiet so that certainly doesn't help. That ofcourse can be changed and with just an exhaust, filter and boost valve you'll be seeing 330 bhp - easily enough to have a 0-60 in under 5 seconds considering its over 100kgs lighter than the GT-R.

Since its designed to be a every day cruiser its motorway eating potential is vast. You can drive for hours and still feel refreshed. It has 17" wheels with 225 section tyres in standard form and has a LOT of standard equipment (it was the range topping car). Above all its AMAZING Value for money. I personally LOVE the R34 GT-R look but even the R34 GT-T looks bloody good. Get the average joe bloggs in the street to tell the difference... all they see is the Skyline bad and go into a fit...

Considering a GT-T can be had for some 20K _LESS_ than the GT-R you could argue its one of the performance bargins of the century... Obviously that 20k is getting you a lot more car in the GT-R but its been spent of race technology like the Multi-function Display, the 4wd, the Racing Moulded Seats, the Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser (v-spec) the underbody trays, the lightweight larger aluminium wheels, the 6-speed gearbox, the extra turbo, the larger intercooler, etc. etc. etc. Both are great cars but its the
GT-R thats the one that sends a shiver down my spine... Its my dream car and I've got one parked in my garage since Saturday :) wow, life is good ...

:smokin:

·
Registered
811 Posts
--

Model: R34 Nissan Skyline GTT
Model Year: 1998.5 to present...

Engine Name: RB25DET (Race Bred, 2.5 litres, turbo)
Engine Cooling: Water cooled,
Engine Configuration: V6 Cylinder,
Engine Camshafts: Double Overhead Cam 24 valve,
Engine Aspiration: Intercooled Turbo,
Engine Valve Technology: NEO Variable Valve Cam Timing Technology
Engine Bore × Stroke: 86mm × 71.7mm
Engine Displacement: 2498 cc
Engine Compression Ratio: 9:1
Engine Max Power 206kW (276 bhp) @ 6400rpm
Engine Max Torque 343Nm (253 ft-lb) @ 3200rpm

Fuel tank capacity: 65 litres
Fuel type: Unleaded premium (RON 98+)
Fuel consumption: 9.4 litres per 100 km

Transmission: Type 5 speed manual
Drive layout FR: Limited slip differential (as standard)
Steering system: HICAS 4-Wheel Steering
Steering type: Power Assisted Rack & Pinion
Front suspension: Independent suspension multiple link system
Rear suspension: Independent suspension multiple link system
Front brakes: Ventilated disk
Rear brakes: Ventilated disk
Front tyres: 225/45ZR17
Rear tyres: 225/45ZR17
Turning circle: 10.2 m

Dimensions: Exterior length 4580mm
Exterior width 1725mm
Exterior height 1340mm
Interior length 1780mm
Interior width 1400mm
Interior height 1105mm
Wheelbase 2665mm
Front track 1480mm
Rear track 1470mm
Ground clearance 140mm

Weight: 1410 kg
--

Erm, is there something you'd like to add Dino?

According to everything i discovered in my year of ownership about the GT-T I have no reason to disbelieve it. Its a V6, 24 valve 2.5 litre, intercooled & turbocharged engine, the RB25DET with NEO...

Trev

·
Registered
811 Posts
Erm, Shin, i just thought back to when I was in the Middlehurst workshop and they had a RB26DETT engine on a rack... Its not a V6 at all is it? Its a 6 cylinder but there all in a line.... doh!

T :) amused at his own stupidity!

God I need a GT-R workshop manual converted to english!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks guys...

Now I feel really dumb :) ...

I hate the fact that there is no decent technical information about this damn engine around in the uk. Everyone just quotes the same old product brochure information... Dino Do you have a workshop manual mate? how much do they cost in Japan?

Trev
(with an RB26DETT engine in his R34 GT-R, a DOHC inline-6 with 24-valves and a six-throttle inlet manifold) ... phew, got it at last!!!
:p

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Trevor,
Never mind what these guys are saying, that was a tremendous reply to what was a very negative light on an otherwise wonderful sports car. :D :D

Simon,
Any derivative of the RB25DET engined Skyline is well enough endowed with performance, handling, HICAS and street credability to do worthy of it's owner.

The RB25DET NEO engine fitted to the R34GTT has a great reputation with tuners for it's performance, and is gathering a good support for it's mod-ability too. Only last week I spoke with Mark @ Abbey, and he even commented on how tuneable they are, Rod Bell has also expressed the very same opinion also.

Use the search facility on the site mate, and look for keywords like RB25DET, RB26DETT. You'll find this subject has been covered loads of times before :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks for the support JasonO.... Okay I made a booboo ..

But hey I haven't ever had to open up the engine and I admit my ignorance about the V6 vs inline configuration. Having thought about it its obvious that its an inline...doh!

At the end of the day I just wanted to say that the GT-T is a fantastic car too, obviously I love my GT-R much more but thats because its just my weekend fun car, if I was using it everyday in heavy traffic I might have questioned my decision... fuel costs on the V-Spec GT-R R34 are high as I am already discovering...

Also a tuned GT-T can make a lot of exotica machinary blush... The only thing I would lay caution too is about spending too much on Mods... I paid £20k a year ago for a GT-T then spent 5k on mods.... As it happens I've given the car to my dad now so I don't feel as bad but I know i was getting seriously close to GT-R territory with every additional mod. In the end I just thought... Jeezus... I may as well just buy a R34 GT-R instead!!! but then again, thats because I was so inclined towards racer rather than anything else... Even if you did just the exhaust, filter and boost valve to 1.0 bar you'll be seeing 320 bhp+... that should cost less than £900 to do all in and make the car a hoot to drive around town... bit of a bargin methinks....

Trev

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Another Alternative!!

Or buy a sorted R32 GTR for half the price????

Suppose it depends on whether the car is being bought for driving or viewing pleasure as every owner has a different view on whick Skyline looks or performs the best out of the series.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Trevor, I retract my previous statements! I take your point, I haven't driven either of them, and it came off as me slating the GT-T. I couldn't have worded my reply worse! If someone offered me an R34 GT-T I would dribble so uncontrolably I wouldnt be able to say yes! However, a tuned R33 GTR would be much more up my street, as I'm still only 19 and I don't want whisper quite etc, however I respect the fact that the most powerful thing i've driven is a Civic type R/Volve T5 so therefore I'm in no place to comment, so I won't!!!

Sorry to all R34 GT-T owners!

Rob
Edited because I cant type or spell :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have a little fact I like to share with you guys.

I am not saying which car is good or bad, just some plain old fact I know.

My friend and his friend dyno their stock R34 GTR and R34 GTT and they got 190 HP at the rear wheel for the GTT and 290 HP at the rear wheel for the GTR. Both cars were dyno back to back, on the same day, same dyno, within a few hours time.

So even though Nissan claim both car have 280 HP, there is actually a 100HP at the wheel difference between the 2. We all know the GTR is rated less then what it actually has, but the GTT is rated higher then the truth.

There is a reason the GTR cost twice as much as a GTT.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Jeff,
How did they come up with 290HP @ the REAR wheels for the GTR ? Did the GTt have an automatic gearbox ?

The difference in transmission loss between the RWD and 4WD (Attessa) cars is huge, the RWD car having something like 50bhp loss and the 4WD over 90bhp.

If you factor this in to make @ the flywheel figures then the numbers just don't add up, no way has the GTR got 380bhp stock.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
To justify my claims above

If you check this thread, you'll see about 1/2 way down there are links, below Charlie's picture of the 4 cars, which show dyno sheets.

These sheets are for tuned R33's and R34's, all of them running more than 1bar boost. The power at the wheels is approx. 280bhp for each, and the transmission loss more than 100bhp.

My car R33GTS25T (+APEXi PFC), slightly different from the R34GTT, showed 40bhp transmission loss on the same dyno, on the same day, within 30 minutes, with over 200 bhp at the Rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
JasonO,

Yes the 4WD on that GTR was disabled, the 290 HP is to the rear wheel.

My other friend's R34 GTR made 223 or so HP to all 4 wheels.

I don't know if that GTT have an automatic transmission. That would make sense as the power figure was lower then I would expected.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 29 Posts