GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for the cheapest way to get a skyline into the U.S. and motorex is definately not cheap so i was wondering if i could just have one sent or buy a used one in canada and then just drive it across the border and do the legalization process myself.

Any suggestions

S

·
0 Posts
Not sure the Skyline is available in Canada either, we had a Canadian here not so long back who was waiting for the GTR32 to be 15 years old as it (IIRC) was the only was he could get one (classic car status)

I think you can just import one to the US but your emissions laws need to be complied with.

Ask Jeff, he is in on the west coast and has a great collection of GTR's - Im sure he could help you through the process.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sorry, I looked into it when I was in Canada 3 years ago. With current Canadian regs you can forget about the idea of importing a GT-R. The only cars permissable into Canada for road compliance (obviously besides the ones that the Canadian dealers sell there directly) are antiques (15 years old or more) and those cars that were originally sold by dealers in the US. So even if you went to the trouble of getting a complianced GT-R from Motorex you still wouldn't be able to get it complianced for Canadian roads. Then again, if the regs have changed, you could be lucky.

Now, if you want it just for circuit or drag, its a different story. Basically, your chances are good.

Cya O!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still in the works

I just ran the question by the federal government Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate Transport Canada. As soon as I told them the car was greater than 15 years old they said they didn't care. So now it's down to a provincial level. So as it stands I will have a GT-R however, I may/or may not be able to drive it on the streets legally. The funny thing is that it also has to pass the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)??? I guess they are afraid to some nasty old japanese rice may be getting a free ride into Canada.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts