GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i was wondering if you guys are driving the skyline in winter times?
Is it good on slippy roads? I mean how is it in winter conditions ?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That's a bit of an open-ended question.

They're either A) A complete death-trap or B) No problem whatsoever.

It depends whether you can drive and if you know how to handle the car.

Although at the end of the day if you don't go over 2k rpm they're the same as (or if not slower than) any other car on the road.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
That's a bit of an open-ended question.

They're either A) A complete death-trap or B) No problem whatsoever.

It depends whether you can drive and if you know how to handle the car.

Although at the end of the day if you don't go over 2k rpm they're the same as (or if not slower than) any other car on the road.
How true :smokin: .

I have no problems with it but then I'm not a complete ar$ehole when driving on public roads in the winter either (maybe in the summer) and know to treat the car with some respect on oily, leaves and cow crappy roads especially with wide rubber fitted.

Keeping the throttle well under half open and the rpm below 3k should keep you alive as the GT-R is a heavy b*gger and when it loses grip and slides it REALLY slides for a very long distance and you REALLY don't want that - trust me on that one :mad: .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi, i was wondering if you guys are driving the skyline in winter times?
Is it good on slippy roads? I mean how is it in winter conditions ?
I would go out in a GTR with its 4X4 ,... but the RWD GTSt ... is a nightmare :eek: ... or its the biggest hoot you'll have in the snow :smokin:

depends - do you know a good cheap bodyshop ! :chuckle: :chuckle:

I survived a fun day out in the white fluffy stuff a couple of years back (GTSt .. auto box !!) great fun .. no one else stupid enough to be on the roads ! Drifts .. spins .. slides .. all harmless fun ... till it slid into the tree putting it back on my driveway :rolleyes: Doh !!

Seriously - leave it in the garage and put some snow chains on something less precious

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
As a side note. I'm sure there is a video of a GT-R, EVO and Scooby racing around a snow track somewhere. I'll have a look for you.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
hehe you should try a 300zx twinturbo Auto with no TCS ;);)

My GTR wsa always ok in the slippy stuff, but its like any other car really, go too fast on snow and have a meaningful relationship with the nearest hedgerow !

Drive careful ;)

Glen

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Drove mine all last winter without any problems, Even when the roads suddenly iced completely over one night without any grit down, I tend to see it as a challenge that can only improve your driving skill...

I dont think I went much above 20mph all the way home that night though.

As they say, keep it around the 2000rpm mark and you should be ok.

Did the same in a 300zx too, Good fun arnt they glen :)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
my best mates dad thought he'd be alright in the snow with his 550 maranello.

not.

car slid for some reason. damage:

2 fecked wheels (think around the £700 per wheel)
a couple of dents, scratches...

his total came in at about £5k but he did do a full respray.

dont take the risk imo. buy something cheap and solid...like a tank.

a volvo:p

or an audi 80/100/a4 quattro depends what you have to spend.

·
R35 Section manager
10,979 Posts
If you hit ice in whatever 4x4 your in,you will slide bigtime.4x4 will not replace tyre grip on bad ice.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I wouldn't personally recommend the R32 GTR in the snow. When we caught got out 2 years ago (?) when it went all blizzard like one afternoon I had the GTR that day and I found it awful in the snow. Dunno whether it's the hydraulic diff that channels the power to front wheels but it felt nasty. Would start in 2wd (as it does) which wouldbe enough to unstick the rear end. On any camber that would be enough to set the rear of the car off on a gentle slide towards the kerb (admittedly it was atrocious condition...no traction). And after 3 hours of stop start to get from Dagenham to Basildon the twin plate clutch was juddering nicely and my left leg felt like it was going to drop off. I would have gladly swapped for a 2CV!
Oh, Ford scorpio automatic's with 225 section tyres are pretty nasty in the snow as well!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would go out in a GTR with its 4X4 ,... but the RWD GTSt ... is a nightmare :eek: ... or its the biggest hoot you'll have in the snow :smokin:

depends - do you know a good cheap bodyshop ! :chuckle: :chuckle:

I survived a fun day out in the white fluffy stuff a couple of years back (GTSt .. auto box !!) great fun .. no one else stupid enough to be on the roads ! Drifts .. spins .. slides .. all harmless fun ... till it slid into the tree putting it back on my driveway :rolleyes: Doh !!

Seriously - leave it in the garage and put some snow chains on something less precious
Yes, the GTR wouldnt be so bad on snow i think but the GTST can be a nightmare yes, i know some people that dont usually drive their gtst in winter conditions..

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Forgot to say - keep it in a high gear to keep the torque off the wheels :).

·
Registered
717 Posts
driving the skyline in the snow is the same as driving any other car in the snow....we never get snow bad enough to have to really worry anyway

·
Registered
43 Posts
driving in snow(i think the last time we had some propper snow in the midlands was about 15 years ago)is all about wheel/tyre width.general rule is the wider the tyre the less you grip.like ski's.
its up to you weather thats good or bad.
if you are someone that drives a bit sideways and knows what to do when all 4 stop gripping then the wide wheels are fine.be prepared for a 1.1 fiesta to drive past you looking at you like you're ****ed.
love driving rwd in the snow,it really is a shame that we dont get more than 10 mins of snow a year and then the bastards grit it.
the last snow day i had was about 3 years ago in a 200sx and even then i had to search out rural roads to find something a bit slippy.
people in the north get it a bit better.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
TVR? Lol...I'm guessing that a TVR Griff 500 would possibly be one of the worst cars ever in the snow. Ooodles of torque, big fat tyres and b*gger all weight (especially over the rear wheels).

driving the skyline in the snow is the same as driving any other car in the snow
Er...you sure about that?. I can assure you there is a massive difference driving a front wheel drive Ka with skinny tyres and a 245 tyred GTR or a 225 tyred automatic scorpio. All 3 completely different to drive with only one of them being remotely capable

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well - having driven my Silvia S14 in the snow the winter before last without so much as even tapping a kerb, I'm pretty sure the GTR will be easy to drive in the snow for me.

But i guess a citroen 2cv would be easier again! :p

Butuz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts