GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Firstly, hello!!! New to all this so bear with me....

After owning Scooby's etc I have now decided I want a Skyline (what took me so long???? :confused: )

Anyway - I dont know where to start!!!

I havent got the biggest budget, so want something reasonably priced, but I have no idea what spec is what!?!

Could you please give me a brief idea of what means what? i.e.
R33 GTR = ??
R32=???

Is GTR a top spec? i dont necessarily have to have one of these lol I'm going for looks more than anything, always liked them, but obviously want something with 'some' performance

I'm not looking to own a top of the range Skyline, but would like a Turbo one ( i know the 'look' of the skyline I want, but thats as far as it goes - it has a 'rounded' front end so to speak

These cars range from 4k to whatever you want to pay - whats the big difference, as they look very similar

Any help is much appreciated...sorry for my 'thickness' where these cars are concerned

p.s. I did a quick search but couldnt find anything related

·
Registered
552 Posts
How much would you like to spend because thier are GTR's as well as GTS's in both models with 2.6 lt twin turbos and 2.5 lt single turbos as standard cars, plus many other options.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I think you really need to use the search button mate as this question has been asked so many times, you should be able to find you answers quite quickly.
Welcome to the forum.

·
R35 Section manager
10,780 Posts
As an ex scooby driver myself,I would say your best off looking at a GTR model.
You benefit from having a twin turbo set up and 4wd!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for your reply's..

I have tried searching Hodgie but I cant find anything...its hard to know what words to search for to get what im looking for :( can anyone help? maybe put a link up for me?? ;)

As for budget - difficult one tbh.....i dont want to spend much on a top spec one - for the price I'm liking the 2.5 turbo ones?? (bearing in mind Im 24 and insurance is quite reasonble on one of these also - seen a few for under 5k)

am i totally wrong in thinking i can get a nice looking skyline for about 4.5k??

thats why i'm here, to get advice off you lot :)

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
having looked in the trader etc....i've narrowed down my search...

first of all, as a first skyline, what is the 2.0 version like? i'm pressuming its not fast benig a big car?

and whats the difference between a GTS and a GTR?

Found a few for around 4.5k...R33 GTS? 2.5T

Does this sound right? again, sorry for being so 'clueless' on the subject

·
Registered
246 Posts
Im 24, just got my self an R32 GTR coming from Ford's and Cossie's... its gotta be the GTR really for me as in the long run i coulda been pottering around in a highly modified gts at 350bhp or go out, get a gtr do a few minor mods and be at 350bhp with the name tag to suit ;) but power is what does it for me (as well as the looks obviously). If defo after an R33 thou ya looking easily over the 10k mark for any half decent gtr if not nearer 15k ish where as r32 gtr's can be had for 6 to 9ish generally and same engine etc, just slightly slower electronic 4x4 system so i've been led to believe (but who needs that when ya got driver control ;) )

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
shane2k6 said:
thanks for your reply's..

I have tried searching Hodgie but I cant find anything...its hard to know what words to search for to get what im looking for :( can anyone help? maybe put a link up for me?? ;)

As for budget - difficult one tbh.....i dont want to spend much on a top spec one - for the price I'm liking the 2.5 turbo ones?? (bearing in mind Im 24 and insurance is quite reasonble on one of these also - seen a few for under 5k)

am i totally wrong in thinking i can get a nice looking skyline for about 4.5k??

thats why i'm here, to get advice off you lot :)

Cheers
I pressume your thinking of the R33 GTS-t,
These are generally rear wheel drive, however there were different models and i think there were ones with the 4 wheel drive system.
Insurance for Skylines, they are all group 20 so if you can stretch your budget you may be able to get an R32 GTR. but that depends on what you want.
As with buying any car thats over 10 years old, theres alot of duffers out there so the best advice i can give you is to spend plenty of time looking, try and get to some of the club meetings, talk to some owners, and buy the best that you can afford. Parts are not cheap so spending more at the beginning may save you money in the long term.

I will now do my best to give you a quick run down of the different models.
R32`s were built between 89 -94.
R33`s 94-99
R34`s 98-2002

Now there are over 40 different variants, 2 door ,4 door,estate, saloon, non turbo, single and twin turbo, rear wheel and 4 wheel drive.
I hope that helps abit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thats been a massive help - thank you Hodgie....

As you have stated above, take my time, I'm gonna do just that.

I rang about 2 in the Trader yesterday, both had unfortunately gone, but then I thought to myself I really need to take my time, learn more about these cars, and even have a drive of one before I buy one!! :eek:

Giving myself till May to get one, ready for summer!! I definately want one now, made my mind up on that, will just see what comes up and at what price.....

Is there anybody in the North Wales area that I can speak to in person?
or when is the next meet? lol

As for insurance - got a quote on a GTR, a GTR import and a GTS and all 3 are affordable...I did this on line and thought it was strange that it didnt offer different variants i.e turbo or not...but i think you may of solved that with them all being group 20 insurance?!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
22 an own a skyline, am i youngest??:)

i got a spec 1 gts for 4k, its good always starts but a a few probs but nothin serious.VERY tail happy in wet, so it will take you a bit of gettin used to from Your scooby:) hope you get one soon!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
my m8 haz got a subaru wrx i hav a r32 gts wats bettr and y
help i need som fing over him som history or facks of som sort any thing
please be honest

·
Registered
70 Posts
HEY snow

It is not text messages so try to write normally...

Anyway. Back to the thread.
By a GTR version...any one as they are all good. If you get a lower model skyline, then coming from a Scooby you may be a bit miffed with the grunt available. Having had a Stage1 Scooby and now on Stage 1ish R33 GTR, feel that you'll agree with buying a GTR version of the skyline..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts