GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the new 2,9Ltr twin turbo 6 line AWD with haldex electronic differential from Volvo
Standard spec of the engine is 272HP.

Attachments

·
Banned
349 Posts
Hmmmmmm,

I'll consider it when I get to Peter and Glens age and am in the market for an X5 or an ML500.

For me VOLVO=SAFE=BORING

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Dave,

Well..... possibly not. I know Volvo have come a long way over the past few years but I can't get my head around John's thinking behind posting this here....

Was he serious do you think?

Jamie,

Go away and leave Glen and me alone. Is that better language for you, I don't want to upset you again?! :p

Peter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:p

Of course I am serious :)
The only thing what's nice about this car is the fact that it keeps the nostalgic inline 6 twin turbo concept alive.
It's a shame that Volvo never realized the real potential of this engine and only deliveres the S80 with front wheel drive.
I drive a 330 HP Volvo S60T5 myself and I must say that it is absolutely not boring but the FWD makes it a challenge to drive.
I also fitted another ECU, a 3" Downpipe and exhaust and some other mods but this is almost where it stops for this engine before it breaks.

One thing to watch out for, serious, the new S60R AWD!.
Could give your Skyline a lot of trouble.
This could be the European replacement for the Skyline.
Rumour is that Volvo itself is going to provide a first stage tuning up to 360HP (300 standard)
The 500+ HP figures are not an option unless you pour in a lot of money like some of the guys here are doing with the Skyline.
The suspension and AWD drivetrain is all electronic controlled.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
John,

Can't see it myself. Volvo (whatever)- v - Skyline, no contest.

Ignoring the performance and performance potentials for a mo, how charismatic could Volvo ever make a car? How charismatic is the Skyline? :)

Peter.

·
Registered
404 Posts
AWDs

John,

Had an understated Subaru Outback like this one in up state New York, has to be the best compromise on/off roader I’ve ever driven. :)

My wife had trouble parking it so bought a Forester instead. ;)

Jamie,

Get the X5, drove one just a couple of weeks ago did nearly 2000 Km in 4 days superb road cruiser, :) Just couldn’t close my wallet after because of all the Gas receipts. :rolleyes:

Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes I agree, I will replace my R34 GTR with a Volvo when I am dead :rolleyes:

I think when I turn 60, I will get something like a Stagea, Aristo, Legacy........if they are still around by then.

My 62 years old father used to have a Volvo, he switch to a Honda 4 years ago.

I do know Volvo have came a long way since the 240 days, my friend have a modified 850 T5R that have about 300HP. It is not a boring car to drive, but you can never compare it with a GTR, not even a 25T! Ok, I admit it is more fun to drive then a base model Skyline with the 130HP RB20DE :p

Jeff

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe you.

I switched from Honda 4 years ago :p
This Volvo is absolutely the fastest vehicle I've owned .
I hope my old Skyline can improve that next year.
If only I could get a nice RB engine for little money which I could fit in.
I'm working on a L28ET now and the target is approx. 300 to start with but it is a hell of a job.
With 1000KG it could be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
John,

With your car weighting 1000kg, all you need is 227HP to have the same HP to weight ratio as my R34 GTR. So all you need is a mildly tuned SR20DET to smoke me!

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts