GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the answer to this,...

From a standing start would an R32GTR with approx 650bhp beat an Airbus of the line?

Assuming the answer is yes, at what speed would the Airbus then pass the R32, and after what distance travelled?

The reason for this question is my mate is a pilot, well you can guess the rest, my toys better then your toy blah, blah, blah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
You had better ask Peter on this one as I seem to recall a couple of videos on here a couple of years back of him at a charity event racing from a standing start with an ex military fighter jet and won !! :D

I think that the plane wasn't allowed to take off to make it fair.

I remember it was a good video though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I work for Rolls-Royce Aero Engines mate and an Airbus against a 650bhp R32 would lose until it took off :D ... That's ANY Airbus ...

Have sat in a R32 on full launch as well (approx 650 bhp+) :).
My R32 doesn't have near that power ..

If you want to know at which power the Airbus would win - you'd need to get which Airbus ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, I've asked him which Airbus. If as you say the R32 would be faster than any Airbus, couldn't we (i.e. one of you lot) work it out based on the fastest one there is.

Can't argue with his in-flight entertainment though

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
C_h_a_z said:
Cheers guys, I've asked him which Airbus. If as you say the R32 would be faster than any Airbus, couldn't we (i.e. one of you lot) work it out based on the fastest one there is.

Can't argue with his in-flight entertainment though

Nice :smokin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
An airbus won't be able to catch up to a 600+ GTR on a normal runway (2miles), although it will probably start reeling in the GTR at around the 1.25mile marker, but would be so way behind it would at a guess take another mile or so to catch the car.

I saw some footage of Michael Shcumie racing against the Euro fighter, but that is a little quicker than an Airbus.;)
I also attended an Airshow where a Lambo Diablo raced a Mirage F1 fighter, that was cool, seeing the Mirage fighting against it's brakes with it's afterburner on. What a noise.:smokin: Lambo still smoked it for perhaps a mile or so, then the F1 came flashing past it, airborne.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,870 Posts
Its all about power to weight ratios I would have thought. The AirBus would need to get its self moving first before making any gains & We all know how fast a specced GTR can launch of the line & carry on upto well 150mph+

I would like to see one of those whisper jets & a Specced GTR have a go tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
C_h_a_z said:
Cheers guys, I've asked him which Airbus. If as you say the R32 would be faster than any Airbus, couldn't we (i.e. one of you lot) work it out based on the fastest one there is.

Ask him what his V rotate speed is, and how much runway he typically needs to get to that speed with no headwind?

I would guess that an airliner has a pretty linear acceleration curve, compared to a car.

Or you could get someone like RB211 to tell you how much thrust each Airbus engine puts out, and with the weight of the plane, you can work out it's acceleration.

But you needn't bother, the Skyliner will destroy the Airliner within 2 miles:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
NISFAN said:
Ask him what his V rotate speed is, and how much runway he typically needs to get to that speed with no headwind?

I would guess that an airliner has a pretty linear acceleration curve, compared to a car.

Or you could get someone like RB211 to tell you how much thrust each Airbus engine puts out, and with the weight of the plane, you can work out it's acceleration.

But you needn't bother, the Skyliner will destroy the Airliner within 2 miles:D
There is no such thing as an Airbus engine ...
An Airbus will have either a Rolls-Royce engine / Pratt & Whitney / General Electric Engine.
They have different thrust ratings as well. The runway which the plane took off on would make a difference as well depending upon the temperature, height above sea level etc.

It's nowhere near as simple as the weight and thrust calculations to work out the acceleration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But the general feeling is that given a standing start the GTR would batter the plane.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,315 Posts
The A380 will use 4 Trent 900s as its standard power plant. The power is 76,500 lbs or 340kN for each engine


The full up weight of the A380 is not allowed to be more than 240 tons according to regulations.
The only thing I don't have is the drag coefficient.

However, the general acceleration of a large civilain jet is quite slow at the start so a high or medium pwoered car should be able to beat it for a couple of miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Fuggles said:
The A380 will use 4 Trent 900s as its standard power plant. The power is 76,500 lbs or 340kN for each engine


The full up weight of the A380 is not allowed to be more than 240 tons according to regulations.
The only thing I don't have is the drag coefficient.QUOTE]


OMG John you ARE a plane spotter!

I knew it. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,315 Posts
Yes they are but most of the orders have been with the Trent. Mainly because of the new 20-blade fan design which is supposed to be much quieter and also because of the "power by the hour" arrangements from R-R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Fuggles said:
The A380 will use 4 Trent 900s as its standard power plant. The power is 76,500 lbs or 340kN for each engine


The full up weight of the A380 is not allowed to be more than 240 tons according to regulations.
The only thing I don't have is the drag coefficient.

However, the general acceleration of a large civilain jet is quite slow at the start so a high or medium pwoered car should be able to beat it for a couple of miles.
I actually write the software for the RR Trent 900 ECU and this engine is not exclusively on the A380. There is an alliance engine going to be on this plane as well although the RR engine will be the launch engine. Don't expect every A380 with RR engines to have 76,500lbs of thrust either. Different customer specifications will change the aircraft's weight and performance and different engine specs will be offered as well ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Fuggles said:
Yes they are but most of the orders have been with the Trent. Mainly because of the new 20-blade fan design which is supposed to be much quieter and also because of the "power by the hour" arrangements from R-R
Acutally most of the orders for the engine on the A380 are for the alliance engine. RR have more orders for the domestic versions of the A380 but overall with the cargo versions the alliance group has more orders for engines.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top