GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've found a BNR34, just sorting out all the paper work and stuff before collection on the 15th Sept :cool:

2001 BNR34 V-Spec II, Bayside blue, 34000km with lots of nice Nismo bits already fitted. Thanks to Shin at Zele for translating :)

The car isn't alarmed though, and it's going to be kept in a public car park a short walk from my apartment. It's multi-story and has security but I'd feel happier if the car was alarmed.

Is there a need for one here? I know car crime is low compared to the UK but even so....

I thought if I'm going to buy one I may as well buy a good one, and CAT1 approved should I bring it back to the UK. It looks like the model range is completely different here though :( Any recommendations for a middle of the road Clifford? I don't want flashy gimmicks, just good security and reliability.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Good to hear you got yourself a car Nick:D Sounds like a sweet ride!

As for alarms....never had one fitted, but it is supposedly getting more dangerous if you have cars like the GTR. Lot of shops fit these, GTR Magazine always features a few shops installing security systems. Clifford and Viper seem to be the most popular. I think that 25man will get you a good specced Clifford install...main thing would be finding someone in your area to do it. I would choose places like Obayashi Factory or any other pro shops that have lots of experience with ripping cars/wiring apart.

Congrats on the car again:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, can't wait to pick her up :)

Only in Japan can you have a Skyline and not need an alarm :cool:

If I was going to keep it in a private locked garage then I probably wouldn't bother either, but I want some piece of mind.

I've asked Shin if it's possible for a Clifford to be fitted before I collect the car. If not, then I'll look into where I can get one.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Nick,

Crime is minimal compared to the UK, as you will have found out, but there are some serious gangs working especially in the big metropolitan areas to take and sell mainly to the Middle East. They strike after midnight and target poorly-lighted carparks.

Car alarms are still very much a novelty in Japan, but in your circumstances I would advise one.

Whatever alarm system you fit, you must consider that the pros may well be able to get past it. A good steering lock on top may puzzle them, though, if you can find one. :D

Sounds like you've found a lovely car, though. Congratulations! :clap:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
PS Forgot to say that whatever you fit in Japan will have to be ripped out in the UK as the insurers sadly won't recognize Japanese security devices and paperwork. Be prepared to have to buy a whole new system when you get her back to the UK... Voice of experience :(

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Snap off steering wheel boss.

If the only place the crooks can target the car and be alone with it for a while is when its parked up at home while you're working.

I have one on my R32. You will need to get rid of your airbag though [if not done already]. Can be done at your friendly Nismo factory while they sort the minor details out for you.

·
6,821 Posts
Well I don't know for Tokyo, but compared to the US or Europe, the crime scene in japan is more professional . . . if somebody looks after your GTR in Japan, he will take it, with alarm or not.
My father in law got stolen 3 brand new Honda Inspires from his garage car park. All had alarm fitted, but the criminels knew very well how to overcome thoses technologies and start the car witout scraching it bit probably. . . . after the cars get exported illegaly from some docks in south japan. . the utilities to brake into cars, quick and without destroying tem is well availble for the JDMcars in japan.

But you should not grt manic about it:D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True, if somebody really wants your car there's nothing you can do to stop them, only try and discourage them.

A snap off boss is a good idea, and I think I'll go for a middle of the road alarm. Like you say Thrust, no point spending too much when they probably know how to get around it, and it has to be replaced if it enters the Uk.

Bean - Your MP3 car has a snap-off boss doesn't it? Did Top Secret fit that for you?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Warning....only fit a quick-release boss if you have fingers as long as E.T.:D
Seriously I've driven loads of cars with these fitted and they are terrible when you want to use the indicator/wiper stalks. The stupid thing is that nobody makes an actual boss that incorporates the snap off system. It's an additional part that you add on top of your boss...so you extend the steering wheel further out from the column. Perfect if you have short arms:D

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Oh BTW....I have patented a new type of alarm system. It's based on the principle that if you make it hard for thieves to nick your car they won't bother and move on to the next car. I cover my car in the following fashion:

- First layer: 3 old futons (one for the bonnet area, one for the roof & last one for the boot)

- Second layer: Nissan cover for BNR34. Fits nice an tight over the futons

- Third layer: Thick waterproof nylon cover, the type farmers use to cover crops. Covers the whole car and will not let one drop of water through. (tested in over 30 typhoons!)

- Final layer: a car cover for a Nissan Stagea. Covers the whole shebang and tucks in nicely under the front & rear diffuser. I then tie 4-elastics around the car to hold everything in place.

When a thief is faced with something like this he is not going to bother. It's noisy to remove them and its a pain in the @ss.:D:D

·
6,821 Posts
Man Dino you not drive your car every day . .do you?:p
Or just put a Welsh Corgi in front of your house and the thieves will have some holes in the feets . . .!It works for me.:p

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
DCD said:
Warning....only fit a quick-release boss if you have fingers as long as E.T.:D
Seriously I've driven loads of cars with these fitted and they are terrible when you want to use the indicator/wiper stalks. The stupid thing is that nobody makes an actual boss that incorporates the snap off system. It's an additional part that you add on top of your boss...so you extend the steering wheel further out from the column. Perfect if you have short arms:D
What the man says is true.
It's such a pain to drive that I swapped mine back.
I did hear that someone makes a slim boss - but I couldn't find it.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
DCD said:
Oh BTW....I have patented a new type of alarm system. It's based on the principle that if you make it hard for thieves to nick your car they won't bother and move on to the next car.
Doesn't work over here.
Back in the day, a friend of mine riveted all his speakers, amps everything into his car.
Thieves got in, couldn't remove any of it so put screwdrivers through the speakers and head unit so he couldn't either :(

Only deterrent I've seen really work is a staffordshire terrier on the back seat.
You can even leave the car unlocked.

Back to thread, I have a snap off boss. Only problem I have is with the indicator but just got used to it. Is it really that bad on a R34?

Oh yeah, if you go for the boss, what about a hidden cut off switch as well?

·
6,821 Posts
The removable steering wheel adaptors, are they not made for professional use only, or are they made like the smaler steering wheels for street use. Are they not ment to give a more short distance to the drivers (bucket)seat.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
DCD said:
Oh BTW....I have patented a new type of alarm system. It's based on the principle that if you make it hard for thieves to nick your car they won't bother and move on to the next car. I cover my car in the following fashion:

- First layer: 3 old futons (one for the bonnet area, one for the roof & last one for the boot)

- Third layer: Thick waterproof nylon cover, the type farmers use to cover crops. Covers the whole car and will not let one drop of water through. (tested in over 30 typhoons!)

- Final layer: a car cover for a Nissan Stagea. Covers the whole shebang and tucks in nicely under the front & rear diffuser. I then tie 4-elastics around the car to hold everything in place.

When a thief is faced with something like this he is not going to bother. It's noisy to remove them and its a pain in the @ss.:D:D
That is one hell of a routine! :eek: Just curious - do you have any problems with putting all those layers on the car for extended periods of time? I though covers needed to be breathable to prevent problems occurring?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Demon Dave said:
That is one hell of a routine! :eek: Just curious - do you have any problems with putting all those layers on the car for extended periods of time? I though covers needed to be breathable to prevent problems occurring?
Not at all. I think having the duvets separating the car form the nylon covers keeps things nice and dry. It was left like this for 6 weeks while I was back home last month. Came back....took the covers off and it was dry and still perfectly smooth from the waxing I did prior to covering it. And from what I heard it did nothing but rain while I was gone. Besides I've been covering it since 1999 and no problems so far:)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DCD said:

Does all that lot fit in the boot?? :p

Luckily my fingers aren't exactly stumpy.:) I'll have a look around the GTR meet on Saturday and see if I can find a GTR with a quick release wheel fitted, then ask nicely if I can have a sit and a quick play.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts