GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law lives in france, and he was wondering if the SVA type stuff over there are as stringent as it is here regarding skylines..
I think i can remember the yellow penzoil replica 34 being from france.. but not anyothers..
My question then, any members in france on here and what type of skyline do u own...??

P

·
6,817 Posts
Not possible as I know, there is no MOT like company who will do the reg. in france.

I registred R33s and R32s in Luxembourg, after that it should be possible to get the car registred in France too . . . many Lux people just live the border in france, so they also bring their cars and get them reg. without problems (Skyline or not)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem as as far as I'm aware any car that is legal in any EU country is also legal for driving in another but you will need a Green Card etc for insurance purposes.

·
6,817 Posts
Of course can you, as a UK citizen with a car, wich is reg. in the UK , drive anywhere you want in the EU, as I can drive with my Lux car in the UK . . .

What is possible is the following, the UK registration is the softest in the EU, I can buy a car in the UK and just need to sign the new reg. keeper paragraph on the DVLA, if the MOT and Taxes are good for still a year, I can drive that car as a non UK-citizen at least until the next MOT and TAX request from the UK, in the EU on UK-plates.
Enough time to sell it before or reg, in an other country-no tax need to be payed in addition in Lux, if the car is older then 10 years.:runaway:

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Would it be possible to drive into France in a R33 GTR registered in the UK, sorry if that seems like a silly question but I sometime go for a long weekend drive through France with mates.

- Kevin.

No you have to drive to the Channel Tunnel get on the train and get a taxi the rest of the way.
heheheheh:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Mick

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not possible to register a Skyline GT-R in France for the moment. And I don't see how it could change... :rolleyes:

Of course you can drive yours registered everywhere else in the world if you want to! :p

·
Registered
269 Posts
IN some countries you are allowed to register the car you own somewhere else without SVA testing and so on. If one has a permanent living adress in the UK or wherever the GTR is possible to register and then moves to France he might be able to just get a french registry. I know that this is the only way in Switzerland to get one registered. I sold one of my GTr's to Switzerland, and that is exactly what we are to do.
You need to get the car registered somewhere else in the EU inorder to have easier terms at the local authoriteies. The idea of getting it in Luxembourg registered is a good one. Makes things easier.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There was a yellow R34 GTR V here, you know, the one with the Blitz bodykit, from the Team Hurricane.
I found some infos about it, it was on garage plates for about two years, the "wealthy" owner bought it in Dubaï in person and was on his way to register it, but there are no clues about the end of the story.
It never has been seen with road legal plates and never again at all, it is certainly under a coat of dust now.
Now, the owner seems to drive a M3 CSL.

Here are some links from the forum :
remember-yellow-r34-stolen-japan I've put some links on the third page.
you-know-lhd-r34.html

Then, the yellow Pennzoil will never be registered, it's quite impossible now as it has been modded to death (it would be all the same even if it was a french car you know).
If I don't make a mistake, it was a silver R34 V bought from UK, it has been advertised on a french TV program called "Turbo" before its modification.

As 763paf asked, I own a BB R34 GTR V (1:43 AutoArt :p ), I would love a real one off course, and why not a V2 Nür ;) with some Nismo, Robson and Mine's parts, and a Hakosuka ... :runaway: :runaway:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I logged out before I remembered that.

Japancar Import SARL (for the mods, I don't have links with them, it's just an hint).

Try this if you want a Skyline for France.
They state that they can import and register our beloved car from Japan to France.
I don't know if it's true but it seems to, there is a R33 GTS-T in the CH stocklist with swiss plates.

Two members from here have R34 with swiss plates too :
my bnr34 vspec pictures
my r34 gtr 2000
If you have good enough eyes, zoom on the plate stand, you'll guess the URL adress.

For the UK mates, you can move to France with your car and register it in the country, I saw several RHD cars with french plates on, even if it's a french car, you don't have to buy another one. I'll try to search some infos on the gov. sites.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
My parents live in the Charente(south west France)and we just took both there cars from the UK over (05 vw sharan and a 03 honda s2000)and just reregistered them on French plates,didn`t need anything else except the UK log books and the MOT to get the French plates on them.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats what we thought, as he normally buys his cars here and takes thm over and registers it after a year or something... So he will have to do same if he wants to get a 34..
(i dont want him to as i fear he will just waste the ownership, as he #has an old porsche sittin in the field on hte farm decaying and i fear the same fate for the 34... :(...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Well for any recent cars, as long as you have the European norms certificate from the manufacturer you can get it registered easily (if the car is less than 4 yo you go to the "prefecture" or "sous-prefecture" & get the paperwork done there, if it's older you need to have it MOT'd), that's what I wanted to do with my Civic coupe 01-03
But the Skyline is completely different, it was never officially sold in Europe by Nissan so you can't get the European norms certificate, so you'll have to try to get it registered & MOT'd "à titre exceptionnel" which is like SVA'ing a recent R34 GTR in the UK now... if you know where I'm coming from

I think this might be possible but very expensive, I mean some Corvettes are imported & registered in France but they were never officially sold
The best bet would be to get in touch with a known car importer in France (like sbdy who imported successfully US cars in France) & see if they could get a Skyline registered
Also, any car older than 10 years still have to pass the exhaust emission compliancy test, unlike the UK, which means that any de-cat Skyline would need to have a good cat & also exhaust noise (db) is very very controlled

In theory, in France any mods done to a car which makes it different to the manufacturer specs (bodykit, exhaust, suspension, turbo, etc...) make it illegal & I think (not sure about that) if you have an accident & cause harm/death you'll be for sure the one at fault

As I said on another thread, a French guy from a French forum bought a R33 GTR from a UK owner, saw the specs they're quite good & he's in the process to get it registered using the service of a car importer, not it's just wait & see, but if it works you can be sure to have a flood of Skyline in France soon (would be affraid to see loads of cheap/crap/near to death Skylines) as this car is like the dream car for ppl into Japanese cars

You can go to France without any pbm if you got a UK reg Skyline for holidays, as long as you got:
- European covers
- Put the GB stickers on the back (except if you got the GB plate)
- Put the stickers on the headlights to redirect the beam
- Got a set of spare bulbs for all your lights (headlights, breaklights, warnings, etc...)
- Make sure you got your rear fog light fitted if it's one which is added under the bumper & it's working

Be also ready to get everybody looking at you while driving & taking pics :smokin: coz' they've never seen a Skyline for real except in the fast & the furious :chuckle:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts