GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Sorry to bother you guys, I'm not a regular on these boards, but I'm after some advice and this seems like maybe one of the better places to ask.
If someone had found a way to import Skylines (R32, 33, and 34) into Spain, does anyone know if there would be much of a demand for them? I've asked people in Spain and I've got varying answers from 'definately' to 'no way in hell, no-ones even heard of them out here'.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
run an ad and see what response you get
best way to guage actual demand imho

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
run an ad and see what response you get
best way to guage actual demand imho
Thats a great idea, I'm in the process of doing it, but its gonna cost me some money (I know thats pretty much a given anyway), and I'm still not 100% certain that I can legalize the cars, I seem to get a different answer from each ITV guy I talk to.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi mate, I'm from Spain(Mallorca) , where are you from??? I think I know you are ^_^
In Spain I know there are 3+1 registered:R32 GT-R, R34 GT-R, R34 GT-T and 1 R33 GT-R(but now sure how that guy did it)
Actually, there is very dificult to registered GT-R due f***** spanish laws and new Euro4 :(

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Spoke to a Spanish guy about 3 years ago and he said you cant have em over there ,not leagal anyway ,dunno maybe there is a way around ,might be costly though.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
As they are part of the EU I don't see how they can stop you driving a car that has previously been registered in a another member state :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As they are part of the EU I don't see how they can stop you driving a car that has previously been registered in a another member state :confused:
Lol, you're absolutely right, however listening to the EU is very much optional for the Spanish government, prime example being import taxes on cars, even though you've already paid tax Spain will try charging you for it again. The EU have told them not to do this and they fine them for it every year, however they make more on taxes than they lose in fines so they keep doing it.
A little while ago they modified the law so that you can import any old junky gas guzzling kit car you want- as long as it can pass a Euro4 emissions test :eek: (could be protectionism or just plain bad law making).
@TSUCHIYA-KUN -All the ones currently legal in country were done before the change in the law. I'm currently in NW Madrid, been here for about 6 months, ever since my company told me I gotta come work here or I'm fired.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
You might as well just register the car somewhere else and drive it in Spain until you finish your job then :D

I'm still sure they can't stop you registering a car that already has an EU registration

·
Registered
419 Posts
Everyday I hate more Spain with his f*****G laws and ministries :(
In think the only way to registered a car like Skyline or whatever "special" is with money and meet contacts in ITV(in UK will be MOT).
*Coldeyes, it's true that those Skylines were registered before new law, I didn't remember.I have a friend who have just bouhgt a R32 GT-R without any plates in Spain and he knows he will have to be patient to registered his car.
I think this mate is from Madrid too

·
Registered
908 Posts
hi!!
im from spain and am one of the owner with an r32, as coldeyes says, i had this car homologated before the new euro4 emissions law.
spain does not care about cars being in eu already, if they have been sold in spain before then its a diferent story, but if this car has never been sold in spain you need to do an independant homologation for each vehicle, and to do this, its required to pass euro 4 emission and soon euro 5.......pfff
and you still have to pay taxes even if it did in the first place.( you could import a car from germany to spain, pay taxes, import it to france and then to spain again and you would have to pay taxes again :(......)

i have heard there are some ways to pass this test now, but is very expensive. and requires quite a bit of knoledge about laws...........

i know it would be a fantastic buisness if you could make it work, only problems would be, you would also need to open a workshop as noone in spain has a clue about these cars.

one thing you will find is most people will want one, but wont have a clue about the car, basicaly just seen it in movies and wants something thats says skyline on the back of it, no matter what engine, and model obviousley r34 as thats the only thing they have ever seen on tv.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
I sold my yellow 34 two years to a French guy ,he was going to use it on the track in France ,they dont allow Skylines on the road there unless you are Visiting ,you coulde'nt register them there if you are a resident anyway.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I sold my yellow 34 two years to a French guy ,he was going to use it on the track in France ,they dont allow Skylines on the road there unless you are Visiting ,you coulde'nt register them there if you are a resident anyway.
Stealth, who was it?
For France, there's currently one Skyline (GTSt) officially registered. There's one company in the East of France who can "French SVA" & register Skylines but it's a SLOW (6~8 months) process & very VERY expensive, also the car has to be imported through them as they only want 100% STOCK cars, if not stock they won't try to register it.

For Spain, I heard of a French guy who has a R33 GTR bought in the UK (for his ICE company) who got it registered in France, he said because of the lighting issue, his Skyline was the only one to be registered in Spain as a one-off but none will be allowed after... sounds contradictary as it looks like others were already registered.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Stealth, who was it?
For France, there's currently one Skyline (GTSt) officially registered. There's one company in the East of France who can "French SVA" & register Skylines but it's a SLOW (6~8 months) process & very VERY expensive, also the car has to be imported through them as they only want 100% STOCK cars, if not stock they won't try to register it.

For Spain, I heard of a French guy who has a R33 GTR bought in the UK (for his ICE company) who got it registered in France, he said because of the lighting issue, his Skyline was the only one to be registered in Spain as a one-off but none will be allowed after... sounds contradictary as it looks like others were already registered.
I think I know who is the French guy; he sold his MP GT-R R33 in Spain and he says he is able to import and registered any Skyline:eek:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Why not put a Micra 1l engine in for the Euro IV emission test and then shove the other motor back in afterwards :chuckle:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I think I know who is the French guy; he sold his MP GT-R R33 in Spain and he says he is able to import and registered any Skyline:eek:
Yes, he had an MP(3?) R33 GTR
He has a shop who sells ICE stuff
Really he can import any Skyline in Spain? Interesting...

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Well it was a funny set up I was selling to the French guy but there were two of them turned up the guy that was doing the deal I think was from Austria ,but the French bloke was having the car .They both flew in with a rucksack full of cash test drove the car and went .To be honest I never thought they would turn up .So if anyone knows of a Yellow GTT 34 in France it maybe my old one ,the car was modified as well ,body kit ,suspension,filters,exhaust etc.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
They both flew in with a rucksack full of cash test drove the car and went .
OMG, I'd be too chicken to do that!

I'll enquire about your R34 GTT, Stealth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi!!
im from spain and am one of the owner with an r32, as coldeyes says, i had this car homologated before the new euro4 emissions law.
spain does not care about cars being in eu already, if they have been sold in spain before then its a diferent story, but if this car has never been sold in spain you need to do an independant homologation for each vehicle, and to do this, its required to pass euro 4 emission and soon euro 5.......pfff
and you still have to pay taxes even if it did in the first place.( you could import a car from germany to spain, pay taxes, import it to france and then to spain again and you would have to pay taxes again :(......)

i have heard there are some ways to pass this test now, but is very expensive. and requires quite a bit of knoledge about laws...........

i know it would be a fantastic buisness if you could make it work, only problems would be, you would also need to open a workshop as noone in spain has a clue about these cars.

one thing you will find is most people will want one, but wont have a clue about the car, basicaly just seen it in movies and wants something thats says skyline on the back of it, no matter what engine, and model obviousley r34 as thats the only thing they have ever seen on tv.
Euro 5 on the way? Thats what I was afraid of- every year the goalposts get moved further away. Although Euro 5 isn't much of a step up from 4, so if you can get to 4 then 5 isn't a stretch. I think opening a workshop aswell is pretty much a given, and tbh. I think the market is quite narrow, for pretty much all other right hand drive vehicles (non-skyline) the Spanish will just flat out refuse to buy them even if you offer a heavy discount.

I'm really curious to know what you've heard about how to pass the test, have you found any loopholes? It could save me some money compared to what I have in mind.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts