GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As with most of my vehicles, I like to keep a journal, and the GTR will be no excempt. Previous cars include Nissan Laurel, 200sx, Impreza STI, Soarer and more. But they all had a problem, and modding the hell out of them never really solved it. The Laurel beeing NA was underpowered, the 200sx was underpowered with the stock turbo and had a too narrow powerband with a bigger one, the STI was as comfortable as a rock and the Soarer was to much luxury focused handling wise for my taste.

So finally I got GTR - Plenty of power, wide powerband, comfortable enough for regular use, very good handling, 4 seats and a fair boot. Even in stock form, this car is excactly what I have always tried to mod my other cars to become, and finally I am 100% happy with my current vehicle.

Well almost, or there would not need to be a project thread now would there?

Anyways, I got this car from Euroexports, and so far so good, very happy with it. Its a series 3 GTR with 95xxx km on it and very few mods when I got it:

HKS exhaust
HKS EVC6 boost controller
HKS Dcon
HKS hipermax coilovers
HKS airfilters

To register this vehicle I had to remove all mods. No joke. They dont allow them here, first thing that had to go was the pod filters. The registration guys actually claimed, and I quote "a backfire can go through the filters and ignite fumes or plastics in the engine bay" :eek: Well we dont want that now do we, so a stock filterbox supplied by euroexports was installed. Apparently they are fireproof :rolleyes: Then a set of stock springs and struts were installed to avoid the dangers of improved handling and the boost controller was removed. I took my chances on the exhaust and with a lot of emails, phonecalls and referances to the law, I somehow got that approved :confused:

Future plans:

The stock spring and strut combo really suprised me - It is not easy to separate them from the HKS coilovers, so for now Im keeping the suspension stock (and legal) even though I intend to use the car for some trackwork.

Im currently sourcing the following parts:

Improved cooling - Radiator and oil cooler with thermostat
Brakes - Track friendly pads
Details like wing flares and new wheels

Engine:
Im very worried about oil starvation. I never knew the extent of this until I had purchased the car and did some reading. What started as a 10 minute search ended in hours of reading in forums, articles and blogs. From the extreme opinion that the engine (in capital letters) will brake down and you will probably die taking it to the track unless you buy all our products, to others claiming stock is fine for stock-ish power levels, there seems to be no final conclusion.

From what I could find when searching, here is what I intend to do to begin with:
Fill about 2L of oil above the stock max oil level
Oil seperator/catch can with return to sump (thinking Nismo for stock looks) Mines cam cover baffles

Sump upgrade if the engine ever needs removal, or perhaps when the clutch needs to be replaced.

End of part 1, more to come

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2

To make sure the car does not selfdestruct on 98RON fuel, I put the car in the local dyno. At the same time we tested power with stock boost and high boost.

The car has a HKS turboback with stock elbows on the turbos and the stock cat is still in there. The results were pretty much as expected - Measured at all 4 wheels it had a 256hp baseline on stock boost (9PSI) and a consistent 330hp on several pulls @ 15PSI.

We had knock equipment on it and detected nothing. However the AFR on peak torque was 13.2:1, and the following dip in power is suspected to be caused by the ECU retarding timing due to knock. Not good.

To counter this, I plan on installing water injection and run 95RON fuel. There are not to many stations offering 98 premium anymore, so this can be a welcome upgrade. With some tuning this engine should push a fair bit more power. And I wonder just how much that cat is holding me back...

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I remember that one for sale, looks lovely.

Shame about the petrol, does it work out expensive to add octane booster at each tank (vs. water injection kit)?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember that one for sale, looks lovely.

Shame about the petrol, does it work out expensive to add octane booster at each tank (vs. water injection kit)?

Windshield washer fluid is def cheaper than octane boosters, probably about 1£ for each tank - And 0£ if I have 0 boost... But then again the 95 fuel is cheaper than 98.. The kits are expensive, they cost about 3-400, but its a one time thing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time for some upgrades. Im preparing for a trackday in May, as well as making the exterior look a bit better. First mod was Nismo flares that made a nice upgrade to the exterior looks of the car. Im also plastidipping the front lip black matte. Im hoping the black details will break up the silver colour a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Intake

As I never had an airduct, I figured I could just as well get a R34 R-tune piece - Nismo claims a 30% increase in flow, and it improves the looks under the hood compared to the stock airduct. At the same time I installed a custom 5" cold air intake hose to the fender and installed a Nismo airfilter as the stock piece is missing.

The R34 Nismo R-tune intake was a perfect fit on the box, but the bolts was offset. I simply drilled a hole for it and used a plastic clip to secure it.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oil cooler install 1

To save myself a lot of valuable time, I purchased an HKS oil cooler kit without a filter relocation kit. The HKS kit looks like its worth the extra £££££, and made the install very easy. The oilcooler is quite big, and there is a ducting included that HKS claims to increase cooling by 30%. All brackets bolted up nicely and the install was quite easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil cooler install 2

The sandwich adapter includes a thermostat. The biggest challange with the install was to install the sandwich and hoses on it. I found it near impossible to tighten those very large fittings when the sandwich adapter was installed, so I installed the hoses first and the sandwich adapter after.

This was near impossible as well..... I wont say how much time I spent trying to install it with the hoses attached, but I can say it was a long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil cooler install 3

The next challange after the hoses were installed was to fit the series 3 headlights - The igniters that are mounted on the headlights was interfering with the hoses on both sides.

I was not to good with pictures, but I had to cut out part of the steel bracket on the drivers side headlight and completely remove the braket on the passenger side. Be aware that the outer part of the braket is used to secure the headlight to the car, so for anyone doing this in the future, make sure this part is still installed.

The igniter is now installed with a semi custom bracket bolted on the chassis.

I had the car running and there are no leaks!

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Radiator upgrade

I think the pictures says more then words on this radiator install.. The size of the stock radiator is a joke! I wonder if Nissan was more interested in weight than cooling when they ordered radiators for the Skylines...

The Evolve radiator had a reasonable price, and was installed in less then 30 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meters

The stock 180kph gauge was replaced for a Nismo unit, 320km / 11k RPM. This was a great interior upgrade.

I completed it with a Nismo sub meter that has more accurate oiltemp readings than the stock unit, and can read 1.4bar of boost compared to the 0.7 bar stock unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you source your new nismo cluster? They're very price now!

Got it from a user on the forum, but I had to bleed for it. I actually have an extra brand new in box sub meter from Nismo as well if anyone is interested.

Had an hour to spend on the oil cooler project last night. When I studied the inner fender, I realized there is no ventilation for the oil cooler. I simply cut out a section of it, and intend to install a fine mesh to stop stones or other objects that can damage the oil cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mines cam baffles

Did the Mines baffles today - Hopefully they will keep most of the oil blow by inside the engine and out of my turbos. I spent more time figuring out what the instructions ment then the job itselfe, but it was a fairly easy install.

I only got 2 foam sponges - I believe there should be 4 in there according to the instructions, but I figured the engine will not explode without them.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Suspension

I ordered a complete nismo circuit link and rear arm setup + S-tune coilovers and finally got a chance to install them.

To be honest I enjoyed the stock suspension quite a lot. It was a great setup, but a bit harsh - my greatest worry was that a stiffer suspension than stock could be terrible on the street. I chose S-tune after reading all the good reviews from people who has it on theirs street cars. Still, with almost double spring rates, I was worried it would be even harsher than stock.

But the S-tune is not. It is absolutely fantastic and actually way more comfortable than the stock (non V-spec) suspension. It absorbs bumps much better even though the spring rate is increased. For the short trip I have had so far, it rolled less, felt more stable in high speed corners, and the rear end felt more predictable with both power oversteer and that odd "Hicas oversteer", probably in part thanks to the new geometry by the Nismo arms.

The spring rate is increased from 3.2 FR to 6 and 6.7 FR. This for sure is not a racing spring rate, but it should make the car far better than stock on a racetrack. I completed the install with Nismo stabilizers, and I believe they are 20% stiffer than stock.

Im so far very happy, and looking forward to exploring this new setup further when I get an alignment done.

Im not quite done yet though, as RHDjap sent me two right hand sides of the front circuit link, so that will be a project for another day.

On a side note, I removed some weight today as well - that silly rear wiper is now history, replaced with a rubber cap.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts