GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no way my build is going to be anywhere near the level of some that I have read through, however I might as well be social and show what I have got. It's posted on skylineowners too, so sorry if you are reading it twice :)

-Collen

Anyway here's an obligatory pic before I start. 1995 R33 GTR with 77.000KM

I haven't done much yet, except drop a screw in the engine bay that I never found. I was bored and tackled a quick project tonight. here's a slightly technical summary.

I did some "stage one" weight reduction tonight. Here are the figures for what it's worth! I weighed myself and then weighed myself again while I held these items in my hand. So it's rough but fairly accurate.

Stock Trunk Carpeting - 11.5lbs/5.2kg
Stock Floor Mats - 13.0lbs/5.9kg!!
Stock Jack/Tire Iron - 4.5lbs/2.05kg
Stock Spare Tire - 34.4LBSSSS/15.6kg

In an R33 GTR non vspec, factory weight is listed around 3370lbs/1530kg and "factory BHP" is 280HP. So 3370/280=12. That's 12lbs= 1 horsepower or 185BHP per ton. 63.4lbs weight savings/12=5.28. This means that ridding those pounds effectively "frees up" 5.28HP. I'm not saying you are adding HP, but effectively gaining what 5.28HP would give you in straight line acceleration + cornering benefits. Now we're up to 189BHP/ton in less than 10 minutes. That's all for now.

------Later That Very Evening------
I took out a few more things before I finally gave up. I removed the Spark Plug Cover (something I never understood on any engine that has one...it just traps heat!), The Nissan Air Purifier (is this standard? it was between the rear speakers), the sound deadening behind the back seat, and the metal rack that held the car jack for a total of 9 lbs/4.1kg. Grand total

72.4lbs/32.9kg for free! I'm sure I can get to 100 pounds before I change anything to carbon fiber while still having the car look untouched to the casual observer.

and a Japanese McDonalds Manager just for fun.

Like I said.. SLOWWWW BUILD :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, today I took out this metal plate behind the back seat. It's totally unnecessary and it weighs 6.4 pounds/2.9kg. I also took out the "oh shit" handles, plastic covers on the seat rails(new seats coming) and some of the sound deadening from underneath the back seat carpet area, although, in a cold garage I was dissuaded from getting to involved. The other thing was the HKS coilovers. Got them set up and weighed them compared to stock. Stock suspension weighs 57.8lbs/26.3kg and the HKS Hipermax weigh 47.0/32.3kg. so my net loss for the day was 17.2lbs/7.8kg

Grand 2 day total of 89.6 pounds/40.7 kilos

Also, does anyone know if the large flat black piece of metal in the trunk that is blocking the battery adds any significant lateral rigidity to the car? I was going to remove it but I wanted to find out if it serves a purpose first. Thanks!

Updated pic of my "car shit" room

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh wow, you're up in Misawa? I'm down at Kadena. I was up in Misawa visiting some friends several months ago. Must be snowy and crazy cold now. Do you know ExZacc, I think thats his screen name?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually the snow is all melted for now. We are waiting for a big storm to roll us over though any time now. . I know who you are talking about. Matt, right? I'll be down in Kadena in may. Tell me where to go for parts down there! haha

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Because of the weight and thickness of that panel that blocks the battery, I would assume that it does aid in rigidity in some way, otherwise a lighter and thinner metal panel would have sufficed, as the one behind the rear seats.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^yeah, I figured just the size of it should give me a hint. here's what I worked on today.

YouTube - Skyline R33 GTR 0-180 KPH Run

weeeee! So can any GTR guys tell me.. I feel what I could best describe as a slight 'kick' when I"m full throttle going through the powerband. a slight lurch might be a better way to describe it. it feel like the transfer case is engaging or something, but since this is my first GTR I dont know if that's supposed to happen. no strong odors of anything after the run, and I pretty sure it's not the clutch slipping.. any ideas?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
This is cool mate, wish i had the balls to strip alot of that stuff out, so far i've done all the rear seats the matal panel speakers and the shelf, also all the boot lining and the spare wheel. Interesting to see you weighing everything, can't believe how heavy some of that stuff is! Keep it up, with intermitten pics of japanese mcd's managers!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no problem! haha. I really want to tackle the ABS tomorrow but I want to make sure it will pass our local inspections without it tomorrow. Our inpections are good for two years and mine is in March so I might as well wait a few months if it saves the headache. I'm waiting on a price quote for a dry carbon front bumper from EndlessR and the Bee R carbon up wing from EPRacing. I'm going to just o the whole 9 I reckon. Part of going fast is looking good, right?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I haven't done much to reduce weight in the last week but I did do this.... More/better pics to come. I'm doing everything that isn't being replaced with carbon fiber. So doors/hood/trunk/wing won't have this treatment.

I know some of you will hate that I drew on a GTR but whatever. It's mine and I ****ing HATE silver. Haha

·
Registered
723 Posts
Good project I was in Misawa for 4 years and owned a r32 and now r34. Project is looking good until the drawing. But like you said is your car. Matt is cool people I still keep contact with him. Good luck with the project

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great artwork, gotta at least props to that. Do you plan on putting a clear coat over that to protect it. I like the little heater by your feet, I know those days all to well in the frozen tundra I live in too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:eek: I can't believe you have drawn on your GTR!? When I seen it I thought you were going to say it's a wrap/vinyl...

You're a talented man, well done!
thanks, I wish some parts came out better but oh well. I'm going to do the whole car so eventually it will get to the point where you don't really notice any particular spot.

Round 2 for tonight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not what i'd do but hey, fair play to you for being individual mate!!

Will be interesting to see the finished result!
for better or for worse, I'm glad I did it already. you should see the look on peoples faces here. haha all the Japanese 40 somethings that used to drive a R32/R33 in their 20s can't even come up with words to describe what I'm doing to their baby. Also, this will surely ease my heartache with getting it back to America. It SHOULD fit right into the showcar exception clause. gotta finish it first though. more updates soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.