GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I'm hoping one of you will be able to help me out. You are my last resort.

I recently bought an imported silver P reg R33 Skyline GTS 2.0!!

Thats right....2 litre!!!...But it gets worse!!.....it's an automatic (Shudder!!)

Worse still, my friends currently own an S2000, a Altezza IS200, a Maza 323 and a BMW 330!! I consistently get hammered on any straight road!

Around corners I'm reminded that I am actually driving a Skyline. It handles like a dream, but alas, on any long straight, Im quickly overtaken and left to invent excuse's about my engine still being cold!!

So how can you help I hear you all cry. Well If any of you can answer any of my following questions then I will be eternally greatfull!

I realise that this is a GTR website but please dont turn your back on a fellow Skyliner, I've nowwhere else to go!

-----------------------------------

Its a P reg R33 Skyline GTS 2.0...automatic!!

------------------------------------
Q1) I've managed to get around £1500 together for upgrades,. What are the best upgrades to go for to get the best performance out of it?

Q2) It doesnt have a turbo (sob!). Does anyone have any ideas how much one would approx set you back and of what sort of improvement you'd get?

Q3) Wheels will have to be changed..I find the 15" greatly attack my Male ego. Does anyone know of any good second hand wheel dealerships? (do any actually exist?!)

Q4) I live in the South East in a small shit hole called Hatfield, Does anyone know of any places I can take my car to get it sorted near by in the South East?

God!! Not asking for much am I!!

4 questions, and its only my first time here!!..I dont expect them all answered but any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Albear

·
Registered
301 Posts
Upgrades...

Hi Albear,

Sorry to hear about the performance. I've got a GTS-t and (although now wrecked) I've been researching into the ways to get the max power for the least money.

How fast is your car top-end? If like me you can get to 140-155 but it takes you all day to get there, think about a NOS (N2O/ Nitrous Oxide) kit. They actually run better on naturally aspirated engines than on turbocharged models.

You have to make sure your engine is well balanced and you don't have any misfire problems etc otherwise you'll blow something. They can start cheap like from a few hundred pounds and would make getting to your cars top speed a lot quicker.

Finding a NOS expert in England isn't easy, it's still mainly a US thing. It's road legal and you can declare it to your insurance company.

You will want a 'dry' NOS system for a NA injected engine. Try speaking to someone at Highpower, their website is www.nitrous-systems.com

If you want to go down the traditional route of mods, speak to someone like abbey motorsport www.abbeymotorsport.co.uk , they'll be able to talk to you about different packages but you'll be hard pressed to get much more performance out of a 2.0 NA engine - it's the boost from the turbo that makes the difference. You'd need to spend hundreds on a turbo, then you've got all the associated problems of converting your engine to use it - changing the compression etc, plus you'd need an intercooler of some type otherwise the superheated air going straight to the inlet manifold would cancel out nearly all the benefits.

Hope this gives you a couple of things to think about. Most of the other guys here are way more experienced than me and I'm sure will help you out.

Drew

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you speak to Highpower, make sure you ask them about using NOS with an automatic gearbox. Never heard of any probs with it, but also never heard of the two together.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The need for speed...

Put a bigger lump in? 2.5/2.6 turbo... more money but a hell of a lot more power. Other than that i'd go with the NOS.

Luke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys...you are seriously great!!!

It may not be good news, and it may look like its gonna cost me a shed load but you've seriously put me in the right direction.

Many thanks to you all....I'll let you know how it all go's.

Cheers

Albear

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
albear, why dont you just get a nice standard gtst type m in august im collecting a silver one with 30k on the clock , adjustable suspension stunning 18" wheels . if your interested let me know , its a grade 4.5 and its mint. then you can wup some ass! proper... cheers gaza

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You could also stick a GTR engine in it :smokin:

Your looking at about £700 for the engine (don't quote me). I would assume you would need a new exhaust and gear box etc.

I think it would fit in the engine bay. Then you could have some fun on your 15" wheels:D

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Albear,

If you're looking for a good maintainer in the South east and one with a whole host of s/h parts you could start with Abbey Motorsport, they're not far from you.

With the amount of money you have kicking around a s/h engine may be a good place to start. If you try and wring more out of the lump you've got ypou'll eventually come up to the problem of 2000cc will only go so far. I know Abbey also have a few manual gearboxes out the back so you could find it payts to give them a call.

Whatever you do, decide where you want to get to before you start investing. that way you wont have to cut your losses later.

Good luck
John

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
GTR engine

I have a 550 brake engine that MAY come up for sale soon but it will be going for more than 700 squid... The bloody clutch cost over twice that its only done a few miles!!!

Luke

·
Registered
905 Posts
PM Elvira, she is my wife and has a 2.0 litre non turbo R33.

She dont listen to me, but if you want the GEE GEEs Then sorry mate but sell it.

Major money to put an engine in, cause the Looms are different too. There are no parts for them cause they are single cammed 12 valve. Stadard things like induction kits and exhausts help but not much. If your running standard, you've got 133 hp.... yes thats right 133 bhp, depends on what you want really mate.

NOS is always a good idea!!!

Elvira loves her car so it makes a big difference, shes not over bothered about the power, well not that much anyway....;)

Sorry its all doom and gloom..

Si

PS And you own the only skyline with four stud alloys, GTSt and GTRs are 5 Stud......

·
Registered
239 Posts
Scuse me!!!!

Oh no you're not the slowest Skyline:eek:

That honour goes to ME!!!!!:rolleyes:

Mine's a four door so ner ner:D

Extra weight - it's great - kids stuff in the back etc, etc.... It all helps..............to keep your licence, and it keeps the boys amused at meets!!:mad:

Had a go in an R34 GTR yesterday - think the licence is now in jeopardy!!!!

Caroline

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and I forgot to mention, its limited at 115mph as well!

God...It seemed like such a good idea at the time!! :(

For some reason I dont really want to put Nitrous in it. I was under the impression that it's not great for the engine or for the car on the whole. Having said that I know absololutly nothing on the subject so I'm hardly one to comment!! :)

My problem is that it was stolen about 6 months ago...ragged, spun, and dumped in an Asda Carpark! They burst a tyre and I forgot to pack a Jack for them (Shame!) so they just dumped it bleeding in the carpark...B*stards! (sorry must learn to control anger!)

Bearing in mind I bought this car with 20,000 Km on the clock, and in absolutly mint condition. I was somewhat pissed to discover that they had managed to damage every panel around the car!

Oh and it got keyed outside BlockBuster a week later!

Sorry I'm not a bitter person really! What I'm left with however
is a damaged slow GTS and around £3K,

Mmmmmm what do I do?

Although I feel I already know what the answer is going to be!!

P.S. 133bhp!!.... I'll... er... get my coat!

·
Registered
301 Posts
albear said:
For some reason I dont really want to put Nitrous in it. I was under the impression that it's not great for the engine or for the car on the whole.
...neither will any modification if incorrectly installed or misused.

I didn't realise the GTS 2.0 was only 133BHP. If you did go N2O you'd only want something like a 50BHP kit.

You can get rid of the speed limiter. All Skylines have them when they 1st come over from Japan, it's their national speed limit and nothing to do with protecting the engine (unlike the rev limiter which safeguards your engine internals). I guess you should be able to get around 130-135 out of it.

Failing all else - sell it! Rarely does it make financial sense to upgrade a GTS-t, worse still an NA model. If it hasn't got a turbo forget it!

Drew

·
Registered
694 Posts
2.0 Lump

Drew,

The answer to your question re the RB20E engine being the same as a SR20DE (200sx) is no !

My R33 GTS has the RB20E engine in it, it is a 6 cyl the same design as the 2.5 (RB25DE) 2.5t (RB25DET) and even the (RB26DETT) GT-R lump but obviously without the second camshaft, 12 valves and the odd turbo or two less !

Yes, it is not the fastest car in the world I will admit, saying that, I have seen just over 135mph in mine before now and in the three years I have owned it it has been by far the most reliable and without doubt the best car I have ever had.

I had a look at the upgrade route a while back, as everyone else has said, it really isnt worth spending money on if you are after big power, for this you really have to get a GT-R and very deep pockets ! If you want a reliable and run forever Skyline that will still turn heads wherever you go and still pull from 15mph in 5th gear in traffic you cant beat the GTS !

After 3 years I still love it to bits, I can feel my GTR on it's way to me soon now though. Just need to do lots of overtime to pay for it now !!

Shaun :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its all about Evolution!

Firstly, thanks sooo much for all your advice, you people really know what your talking about, and are an absolute godsend to a muppet like myself!

m1ac_drew - Thanks for all the info, you've helped to remove my predujice against NOS..

But, I think its time to just let go and move on..

I'm thinking BMW or a Scooby?

Apologies for my tactless humour, I alike many Skyline owners, have completly fallen in love with my car, and will be Skyline till I die...or until I can afford that Dodge Viper!!

I think the best thing to do is to get it resprayed and looking nice, stick it up for sale and then upgrade to GTR.

Any buying tips for GTR's?
Is there anything I need to look out for?
Whats a reasonable asking price for for my car?...to recap its':

P reg GTS 2.0 Auto 35,000km and it will have new paint job to boot!

I was thinking around 10k or am I just being silly!?

Big thanks to you all,

Albear

P.S I'm chuffed at finding such great support for Skylines in this country, in the 2-3 years Ive owned one, Ive only seen 3 other skylines...its nice to know I'm not alone :) !!!

P.P.S I promise not to ask any more newbie questions after this!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Dunno

10k mmmm, dunno there, trouble is you have a 2.0 litre Skyline thats sub 200bhp, it's auto which puts a lot of folk off.

Stick 2k to that price and you've got a good condition R32 GTR!!! C what I mean. Look at it from the buyers view.

I reckon your best bet is sell it to a mate who loves skylines, but cant afford a GTR, or has a Family.

OR

Part Ex it on a GTSt or GTR. There are loads about at the mo, and you'll probably get a good deal if you push em slightly. As for Scoobies and BMWs , do you mind not swearing !!!;) :D

Have a look on Autotrader, theres always a few on there!!!

Happy Hunting

Si
:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
If anyone's interested, I was speaking to Holley this week about NOS kits for Skylines and this was their response:

"The kit that should fit your car is part number 05208 ($670.list) and will add 50HP. This is normally enough power to drop the 1/4-mile times by 1-1.5+sec. It uses a single fogger ahead of the throttle body (but, after the intercooler) to inject fuel and nitrous.

Thanks, NOS Tech Dept."

I replied saying I was looking for more around 200 BHP extra. A nicely tuned RB series will handle it easily with a larger fuel pump.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Noticed a silver 2.0 gts on autotrader for 7,250, is this you?
The car looks good as you say but is let down by the engine. Does it really need a paint job, or will you be better to save a bit of money and do a t-cut and polish if you're going to sell?
You won't get the benefit of a nice looking paint job if you go and sell the car. Then it leaves you with a bit more cash for a better Skyline.

P.S. Don't buy another car you'll only regret it when you see another Skyline on the road going past you!!!!:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts