GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically since I had Alcon 400mm discs fitted around Sept 2012 I've had nothing but absolute grief thats p*ssed me off endlessly.

Litchfield fitted these for me and at first I had no issues, then after a little while I started getting a clicking noise.

It materialized the noise was actually metal on metal and coming from the brake guard. Long story short with small movements of it you could set it just right to avoid the noise till about 1,500 miles later it returns.

So then I head on my Euro trip 2,500 miles through Switerzland, Italy etc and all I have every time I turn wheel more than 2% to the right... click click click.

I must have been told 1,000 times my car is broken! not it looks nice, sounds great... it's broken.

So I return to Litchfield they make a change I head off for a dyno... christ its worse its now constant. So straight back they make a change and its sorted... for now.

1,500 miles later it returns. I refuse to drive car for 6 weeks till its back to Litchfield again.

I requested it was cut but they make adjustments and noise is gone... 1,500 miles again its back...

Now it's 4 weeks till service at Litchfield I won't drive it and I'm sure they'll adjust to make noise go before it returns.

Alcon piece of sh*t! and it's not wheel related! I ran OEM all through winter and it was the same f**king issue!

Anyway with car not moving for 4 weeks again, didn't move for while last year because of this I've decided balls to this, strip down to standard and sell the car. Yes it's a small issue but its gone on for over 18 months!!!!!!!

So will cancel on my Litchfield suspension today save myself some money and the following will be up for sale soon.

COR 3-Piece 21" Alloys (Same as Jurgens)
KR Carbon (rear, sides, front, bonnet vents, boot)
Stage 4 parts
Downpipes
+ other bits.

Anyway the noise is annoying even when not moving but when driving its literally....

CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

I'd embarrassing. Back to standard, sell car, move on.

Thanks Alcon for 18 months of ruining my ownership!!! ruining my Euro Trip and making me not want to drive the car when the weather is nice.

Not only were they expensive I've spent about £150 with Litchfield moving the guards.

Video below, and its not the usual, use copper grease etc on back of wheel it's the brake guard!

Clicking noise - YouTube

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I have the same set up as you mate, but best way to get rid of clicking is to grease all your studs and hub face and most important change the pads ( i tried porterfield racing pads and that solved me problem)..

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Jurgen done this numerous times it's defiantly not that issue with greasing the studs and hub face.

I know its the guards because by moving them it'll make the sound louder / more frequent or less frequent but not go away.

I know the clicking wheel issue people in the past have had, this isn't that.

I'll get a video perhaps if I can be arsed with the car to drive it down my street, it'll literally go CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK every 1/4 rotation, go quicker clicking obviously gets quicker. It's audible enough to be heard from a fair distance, even with stereo up and downpipes I hear it in the cabin with windows up!

Now imagine hearing 10-15 clicks a second for just a 5 minute drive thats 3,000 clicks I have to hear in the cabin in 5 minutes and obviously its constant.

It totally takes the fun away from the car, and people look at you thinking... yeh thats f**ked! If I pull into a car park for example and I'm moving at 1-2mph into a space its sitting there click click click click... the car attracts attention as it is I don't need this 'broken' noise.

So many times it's been 'rectified' only for it to return, each time adding frustration this time it's just tipped it for me. 18 months of this is a complete farce.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you get the same noise if you do that with the brake applied? Sounds like the floating disc moving on the bobbins.

Iirc there are striffer springs you can get to stop the discs rattling on the bobbins like that?
Braking stops the clicking to a certain extent it certainly makes it almost hard to hear and a small grind bit like when a cars sat and there is bit of corrosion on the disc face.

It's always also been the drivers side 5-6 times and the passenger side only 1 time.

*Iain is kindly in talks with Alcon now to see whether there is a bobbin replacement kit and if going to get back to me in due course also offered to send one of his mechanics on a 6 hour round trip to me to try and rectify. It does appear to me when looking at the 2 fronts that the passenger side is pretty solid but the drivers side disc moves a fair bit with the bell remaining in place so its possible these springs have gone.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Andy, why don't you just sell the brake kit and go back to OEM calipers with AP discs, no clicking and with Pagid pads the brakes are superb.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barry selling the brake kit it would only pass the problem to someone else and I think the market for used brake discs on something like the GT-R is very small.

Neanderthal granted I could but when the issues first started I thought it would be a simple fix. I paid over £1,250 for 2 front discs and feel partly reluctant to effectively write off that cost over the issue I believe is a flaw with some part of the kit.

Iain is investigating I'll await his verdict and take it from there. As it stands effectively I'm £4k richer anyway as if I sell the car I'll opt out on having the suspension kit I'd booked for in April fitted so will cheer myself up with family holiday somewhere sunny.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I would use the 390mm AP disks with their new tight tolerance mounting bell, the 390mm "kit" from AP has to use a new one off mounting bell and they will also supply the correct spacers for the calipers, I have fitted 3 sets of them now with no noise/clicking issues.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
send one of his mechanics on a 6 hour round trip to me to try and rectify. It does appear to me when looking at the 2 fronts that the passenger side is pretty solid but the drivers side disc moves a fair bit with the bell remaining in place so its possible these springs have gone.
fantastic service ;-)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Jurgen done this numerous times it's defiantly not that issue with greasing the studs and hub face.

I know its the guards because by moving them it'll make the sound louder / more frequent or less frequent but not go away.

I know the clicking wheel issue people in the past have had, this isn't that.

I'll get a video perhaps if I can be arsed with the car to drive it down my street, it'll literally go CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK every 1/4 rotation, go quicker clicking obviously gets quicker. It's audible enough to be heard from a fair distance, even with stereo up and downpipes I hear it in the cabin with windows up!

Now imagine hearing 10-15 clicks a second for just a 5 minute drive thats 3,000 clicks I have to hear in the cabin in 5 minutes and obviously its constant.

It totally takes the fun away from the car, and people look at you thinking... yeh thats f**ked! If I pull into a car park for example and I'm moving at 1-2mph into a space its sitting there click click click click... the car attracts attention as it is I don't need this 'broken' noise.

So many times it's been 'rectified' only for it to return, each time adding frustration this time it's just tipped it for me. 18 months of this is a complete farce.
just watched video now and your clicking is happening when not moving - ;)

best to get it checked -spring clip or something has come off or moved ;(...

have you jacked it up and taken a look ?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep jacked it up and took a look. That clicking when not moving is pretty new, but when the car is rolling you get that clicking and a metal on metal grinding noise. Moving the brake guard makes it better or worse, if lucky can rule it out for a little while before returning. So what I know is that it obviously has something to do here because moving it back and forth manipulates the noise.

If I get a chance I'll take wheel off and grease up just to rule that out, and re-torque back up will show how loose the disc appears to be as well.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Is there any chance there there could be a crack in one of the wheel spokes?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not wheel related, the noise has come and gone when on OEM wheels.

It appears I'm not alone, a German member of the forum sent me this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv5njh4wa1p5aaz/2012-08-15 10.11.16.mov and yes it's the same brake set-up as me.

That gives you an idea of what I have to live with! I think I have a solution will attempt it tomorrow once I find the sledgehammer

·
Registered
941 Posts
I can appreciate how an annoying noise is affecting your enjoyment of the car.
My drivers seat creaks like mad and it's all I can hear unless I'm giving it the beans (which is quite rare when ferrying around my 4 year old).

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Taken everything basically apart today, refitted it all and noise has gone :thumbsup: result.

Been bad week, son ill, wife ill, me with flu and then after rectifying this issue I had a lorry driver leave me 2 options of head on smash or move off road, sadly I've damaged my COR 21" wheels.

It's a curb rash 3/4 of the way around very fine no chunks missing.

Guessing I need oxide grinding stone to smooth it then, grade 2000 sand paper for fine finish and lots of buffing? As said even at the deepest point it's not even 1mm deep so I'm not going to have a dip in the lip.

Really resisting having a stiff drink at moment! however I'm shedding 2 stone in weight (1 stone gone in 3 weeks) and my only drink for 6 weeks (3 more to go) is water :bawling:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brief video showing no clicking.

Youtube has added some high pitch noise. You can just about make out the HKS BOV's as well, the mic was mounted inside the car by window (drivers side which had clicking wheel) that was down a little hence car sounds quite.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Glad you're sorted now Andy - sounds like you've had a rough time one way or another, but deciding to sell up when you're low is not the time. Illness can make you totally irrational and problems become magnified.
So wait a while, sit back from the issues and one bright sunny day all will be good again :thumbsup:
Cheers mate, all the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts